• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things That Are NOT UFOs

UFO invasion on not-so-peaceful Greek island of Zakynthos - luckily I was there to witness it from the safety of the hotel's restaurant haha

Zakynthos UFOs resize.jpg

UFO-like helicopter dubbed 'Super Great White Shark' unleashed by China.

A bizarre helicopter that looks like a UFO has been unveiled at a massive airshow in China.

1_flying-saucer-5-copy.jpg

The circular aircraft – dubbed the Super Great White Shark (SGWS) – gained widespread attention for its unique design that looks as if it was inspired by alien sci-fi flicks.

0_flying-saucer-4.jpg

Photos of the prototype craft were taken at the fifth China Helicopter Exposition in Tianjin, on Thursday.

Signs said the helicopter was in the “initial stage of design”.

Images and video only showed the saucer-like prototype sitting on the ground and not in flight.

It is not clear when the SGWS will finally take flight for the first time. ( :rolleyes: )

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/ufo-like-helicopter-dubbed-super-20556409

maximus otter

Go to spaceweather.com

Scroll down to the item 'Starlink satellite photobomb.

There are two videos. (both interesting)
The second one ('time lapse. think it is
)

Run this and as it comes up to 1.14 Minutes look slightly to the left of centre of the screen.

Looks odd.

You may need to run it a couple of times to see what is happening.

It is related to a couple of stars in that area.

What do you see ?

Go to spaceweather.com

Scroll down to the item 'Starlink satellite photobomb.

There are two videos. (both interesting)
The second one ('time lapse. think it is
)

Run this and as it comes up to 1.14 Minutes look slightly to the left of centre of the screen.

Looks odd.

You may need to run it a couple of times to see what is happening.

It is related to a couple of stars in that area.

What do you see ?

I saw four random flash's around those two stars - none in the same place

That's what I see.

I was wondering if, as it's a time lapse, the flashes are strobes on a plane.

But there is nothing similar on the rest of the video.

I saw four random flash's around those two stars - none in the same place

I saw them, too. If you watch carefully and track the apparent path of the flashes they repeat later - on one occasion less brightly, and on at least one or two subsequent occasions much more dimly. I can't convince myself they appear along the same track prior to the brightest flash-burst near the two stars.

I'll have to go back and have another look.

... I was wondering if, as it's a time lapse, the flashes are strobes on a plane.. ...

They definitely look like the ventral (belly) flasher on an aircraft. Such auxiliary flashers (as opposed to mandatory marker lights) are often intermittent, flashing a burst every so many seconds.

Without more details on the recording (e.g., capture rate; exposure duration) there's little more than can be discerned.

I was wondering if the length of the time lapse could be ascertained from the angular rotation of the stars. Or even derived from the clock that is running in the top left corner.

What I'm thinking is that it may be that the time between frames is longer than it tales the plane to pass over.

So it may only see one set of flashes.

I was wondering if the length of the time lapse could be ascertained from the angular rotation of the stars. Or even derived from the clock that is running in the top left corner.
What I'm thinking is that it may be that the time between frames is longer than it tales the plane to pass over.
So it may only see one set of flashes.

Agreed ... If it was a time lapse with the right combination of exposure / delay, it might be that it was an intermittent belly flasher caught precisely during one burst but only peripherally on other bursts.

Another possibility, under the right conditions, might be a rapid series of reflections off multiple surfaces of a tumbling object caught at just the right angle but not (or not so much) thereafter (e.g., as the object crossed the terminator into darkness).

Yet another possibility (given the StarLink connection) might be that the flashes represent something associated with the multiple StarLink satellites' deployment(s).

Shame I missed this.
Lights spotted in sky over Adelaide and WA were SpaceX satellites, astronomer says
Elon Musk already helps keep the lights on in South Australia — but now he's lighting up the sky.

Key points:
  • SA and WA residents reported seeing bright objects in a line in the sky last night
  • An astronomer says they were witnessing SpaceX's Starlink satellite project
  • He says the phenomenon will be visible again in part of the country tonight

Astute stargazers in Adelaide were last night shocked to spot a series of unidentified flying objects shining brightly in perfect alignment.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12...s-astronomer-says/11772636?WT.ac=statenews_sa

Video at the link.

Shame I missed this.
Lights spotted in sky over Adelaide and WA were SpaceX satellites, astronomer says
Elon Musk already helps keep the lights on in South Australia — but now he's lighting up the sky.

Key points:
  • SA and WA residents reported seeing bright objects in a line in the sky last night
  • An astronomer says they were witnessing SpaceX's Starlink satellite project
  • He says the phenomenon will be visible again in part of the country tonight

Astute stargazers in Adelaide were last night shocked to spot a series of unidentified flying objects shining brightly in perfect alignment.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12...s-astronomer-says/11772636?WT.ac=statenews_sa

Video at the link.
I never ceased to be amazed by what people think are real UFOs; rocket tests and malfunctions, satellites, etc. Skeptics actually serve a valuable role in debunking many of these sightings.

A UFO researcher recently contacted me about why I think people don't report UFOs as much. One reason I suspect is that people assume that many lights in the sky are man-made. We're fairly aware that the skies are very crowded with stuff these days.

4,857 satellites, as of 2018, with 2,062 being active, and 901 belonging to the USA.

I never ceased to be amazed by what people think are real UFOs; rocket tests and malfunctions, satellites, etc. Skeptics actually serve a valuable role in debunking many of these sightings.
Quite true. How can you say it's "unidentified" if you didn't even try to identify it?

But if you see something in the night sky that is not identifiable - then that surely is an Unidentified Flying Object.

A person can say, 'oh that...that is a satellite' - until it does a 90 degree turn - then it is a ufo...

If I was a visitor and wanted to blend in, I'd choose a common orbit, and tap into satellite conversations, while perusing the Planet

The majority of The Primitives would be none the wiser.

But if you see something in the night sky that is not identifiable - then that surely is an Unidentified Flying Object.

A person can say, 'oh that...that is a satellite' - until it does a 90 degree turn - then it is a ufo...

If I was a visitor and wanted to blend in, I'd choose a common orbit, and tap into satellite conversations, while perusing the Planet

The majority of The Primitives would be none the wiser.
There are several old articles from the 19th century with stars that suddenly change position, to remains stationary again; scared the bejeebers out of the folks.

Is this anything like?

likely next visible if I have it right.

15-Jan 19:11 in the SSW
loss 19:15 in the SE

16-Jan 19:12 in SW
loss 19:16 SE

77084243_1212125262314845_6488200291391897600_o (1).jpg
77084243_1212125262314845_6488200291391897600_o (1).jpg

Last edited:
INT21:
After watching in close-up the passage of "blinks," I find there are five individual blinks as 'it' moves from right to upper left - the brightest blink is when it sits between the two stars. Was going to post captured clips on here, but realised I might be clashing with copyright rules?

Another Starlink encounter - sounds eerily beautiful
OH and I headed out earlier this evening to watch what promised to be a good pass of the Starlink train. The satellites were actually five minutes or so behind schedule - we'd pretty much given them up for lost. And then they started coming over. Eerie, sure, but I don't know about beautiful - she and I are both children of the 80s, and we found something deeply unnerving about these things streaking through the skies above us. I'd been thinking just the other day of that bright fireball that created all sorts of panics over the UK a few years ago - from my vantage point on the moors above Oldham, it had appeared to come in a vertical line straight down, and I genuinely flinched, expecting any moment to see a mushroom cloud billowing up. (I still wish I'd paid more attention to the weird lights on the horizon off to my right, that were drifting slowly and horizontally...)

There's something very chastening in the knowledge that any sufficiently wealthy or powerful player could put anything they like up there, and there's not a damn thing we could do about it.

Back