• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things That Are NOT UFOs

The humidity must have been fairly high this morning because contrails were persistent. I noticed these when I went for an early walk and took pictures as they were affected by the wind. The aircraft were an Airbus A320 flying at 17000ft and an Embraer E190LR at 18500ft.
The first photo was taken at 07.18 and the last at 07.34. Sunrise was at 07.32 and the light was constantly changing.
The aircraft were crossing the English Channel and the twisty contrails were over northern France, somewhere southeast of Boulogne. Based on the time and Flightradar24 the most distant ends were in excess of 60 miles from me.

contrails C63A2626.jpg

I've seen a lot of military aircraft activity recently, and less than half of it appears on the public FlightRadar website
Try using this site instead (and clicking on the little 'U' at the top restricts the display to military aircraft only).
Aircraft that are below (i think) 300ft, or are flying with their transponder turned off, do not show, so helicopters, particularly military ones, will sometimes disappear mid-flight.
As with flightradar, clicking on a particular aircraft will open a panel on the left with details about it.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

Yeah, they'll change the lettering around just a little bit so that it says ADB Sexchange

It's a bit weird for a spying application - dependent on wind current to take it on the intended path to photograph whatever they’re interested in. Seems a bit random & it hasn’t gone undetected either..

Doesn’t China have any high altitude stealth spy planes? Alternatively what about satellite surveillance with ultra high res cams - wouldn’t they do the job?

This Chinese balloon has the country talking because the military is reluctant to shoot it down.

The people are saying this is the “ Death Star “ full of deadly viruses to kill Americans which I hope is not so.

Honest, guv - it's just a weather balloon... with a nuclear power supply and some toxic chemicals and viruses onboard - harmless.
Nothing to see here.
Don't know about that being a Chinese balloon. . . but check out this video. :thought:

Stop at the
0:41 / 0:59 frame timer. Notice that there is a rather odd looking ufo/type object that flies incredibly fast through the sequences in the frame, starting from the left; continues through the centre of the frame, then leaves the frame on the right - all within in the same time slot? Note: Never seen an oval shaped Bird if someone happens to suggest it!

No Idea what it this is, as it seems to 'shape shift' from at the start being an oval shaped object, into a sort of square shaped object by the time it gets toward the last frame.
At frame time - 0:08 / 0:59 it also appears to eject two vapour trails!

*You'll need to select the slowest frame speed to see it though!
(P.S) Might need to slot this into 'Things that might be UFO's?' o_O

Last edited:
This whole affair is bizarre as China is bragging it is a solar power balloon that went off course with sophisticated weather scientific instruments.

The military is just letting the balloon go across the U.S. heading east.

The talking TV news heads are saying why did China want the people on the ground to see their balloon.

My opinion, this is a deception and we don’t know the hidden meaning.

This whole affair is bizarre as China is bragging it is a solar power balloon that went off course with sophisticated weather scientific instruments.

The military is just letting the balloon go across the U.S. heading east.

The talking TV news heads are saying why did China want the people on the ground to see their balloon.

My opinion, this is a deception and we don’t know the hidden meaning.
China might be sending the clumsy message, 'we can do this - what are you going to do'.

True, China could be flexing their muscles !

How would China react if the U.S. did the same to them with a balloon ?

Notice that there is a rather odd looking ufo/type object that flies incredibly fast through the sequences in the frame, starting from the left; continues through the centre of the frame, then leaves the frame on the right - all within in the same time slot? Note: Never seen an oval shaped Bird if someone happens to suggest it!
Anything out-of focus can look oval or spherical when you are filming a very distant object. This may be a bird, but I suspect it is a nearby insect. It usually is.

Balloons are so difficult to steer and so obviously visible that this is almost certainly an accident. The only thing that seems significant is that the Chinese released a very large balloon in a location where it could have accidentally travelled over the USA; that suggests that they aren't scared of offending anyone any more.

Reactions: Sid
Canada claims it will not bother the Chinese balloon.

So, if a real UFO should come along, will the U.S. and Canada just turn their backs ?

There are members of our Congress who can not believe that the U.S. is showing no response to China.

Pentagon reports another Chinese balloon going across Latin America !

How many of these balloons are out there ?

NOAA puts American’s Chinese balloon over our middle Tennessee town around Sunday morning on its way to the eastern coast.

Are we sure this is not an extraterrestrial coverup with China agreeing to be the “ fall guy “.

I am getting suspicious of what the truth is ?

How many of these balloons are out there ?
Lots. Here are a few balloons seen in the late two years, including one over Hawaii; if US airspace has already been infringed in the past, why are they making such a fuss now?
new-project-17-1-jpg.57722

(reposted from metabunk)

Lots. Here are a few balloons seen in the late two years, including one over Hawaii; if US airspace has already been infringed in the past, why are they making such a fuss now?
new-project-17-1-jpg.57722
That first one there is the USS Enterprise!

Very limited data set but February seems popular, something to do with prevalent wind directions at that time of year?

Anything out-of focus can look oval or spherical when you are filming a very distant object. This may be a bird, but I suspect it is a nearby insect. It usually is.

Balloons are so difficult to steer and so obviously visible that this is almost certainly an accident. The only thing that seems significant is that the Chinese released a very large balloon in a location where it could have accidentally travelled over the USA; that suggests that they aren't scared of offending anyone any more.
Makes me wonder what exactly it's real purpose could possibly be, if in fact it is not just a weather balloon - as has been declared by China?
It could be floating around up there possibly for years, gaining knowledge of places world-wide until it makes it's final descent where it can be collected and all the data deciphered.

Weather balloons don't last forever, unless the Chinese have developed a new material. Helium is a very small monatomic gas that will escape over time.

Reactions: Sid
As eburacum pointed out this is not a new issue....and one wonders why the Chinese would care about weather over Hawaii, and North and South America. If they are stray weather balloons they are incompetent at controlling them on any level.
But then why launch 'spy balloons' knowing damn well we, the US, would see them and get pissed off?
It's all a bit odd.

Last edited:
As eburacum pointed out this is not a new issue....and one wonders why the Chinese would care about weather over Hawaii, and North and South America. If they are stray weather balloons they are incompetent at controlling them on any level.
But then why launch 'spy balloons' knowing damn well we, the US, would see them and get pissed off?
It's all a bit odd.
It certainly is that alright!

China expressed strong anger that the U.S. destroyed their so called civilian aircraft better known as a spy balloon.

China vows retaliation against the U.S.

Back