• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things That Go Bump In The Kitchen

Silentman

Junior Acolyte
Something happened a couple of weeks ago that still has me a little bit creeped out, I was sitting in the living room one evening watching TV, when I heard something go bang in the kitchen, thinking something had fallen over I went to investigate. as soon as I opened the door I could smell the burning pan that I had left on the hob, and totally forgotten about. I turned off the hob took the pan over to the sink on the other side of the kitchen, and discovered the cause of the noise that I had heard. it was an old wine carafe that I use to keep washing up/bottle brushes in, it was in the sink fully upright and with contents intact. and to get where it was it would need to have jumped off the windowsill about two ft away, and over the top of other far less stable items that were standing in front of it. other than the carafe nothing else was disturbed. regardless of the fact that it is impossible for it to have fallen over without knocking anything else down, I was so perplexed by it that I tried to recreate what might have happened, by trying to push and tilt it over, it would not fall over without a good amount of force. btw I am the only person in the house so no one else could have moved it.

oooh! I love this sort of thing - thank you for posting Silentman!

I like that too.

And splendid spook logic at work... why turn off the cooker when you can upend something to get someone to come in and do it themselves.

Makes me think that spooks want to be noticed.
I would have laughed a few years ago had someone mentioned spooks, but it's not the first weird thing to happen in this house.

I would have laughed a few years ago had someone mentioned spooks, but it's not the first weird thing to happen in this house.

If i were you Silentman, I`d quit watching those progs on the TV that report or investigate ghosts and other spooky goings-on. Watching such things in your house will only make living there even harder.

I never understand this immediate association of fear with "hauntings". Some places have an atmosphere I'll give you that, some can be pretty oppressive and scary.

The vast majority of haunted houses are good places to live. The other-worldly goings on should be embraced and seen as a quirk of a house.

The two fully formed apparitions I've seen gave off nothing, I thought they were people. The shadow person and "puffa jacket" thing I've tried to get close to but both vanished. The hovering fog cloud moving against the wind I managed to pass through and it was just dry and cold.

I lived in a haunted house as a kid with lots of unexplained bangs, the sound of people walking up and down the stairs and other stuff went on. I never felt under threat. My folks still live there and report nothing. I'm wondering if the house became quite after me and my siblings grew out of a teenage years?

I knew a women who's ghost resident was called Henry. He'd rearrange the cans in the pantry and move things about the house. She'd tell him if he overstepped the mark and he'd quieten down.

The ghost hunter stuff on the tv or net is designed to appear scary. That's what gets people viewing and hits. Doesn't mean its accurate. A lot of the internet ones are being done by people who have freaked themselves out even before they've got to the haunted location.

Remember if an atmosphere is getting oppressive - tell it that it's making you uncomfortable. Tell it that you both have to share the house together.

The only thing I'd not recommend is the ouija board stuff. That never seems to work out well.

Last edited:
If i were you Silentman, I`d quit watching those progs on the TV that report or investigate ghosts and other spooky goings-on. Watching such things in your house will only make living there even harder.
I like a scary story as much as anyone, always have long before anything started happening in my own life. although I don't watch those ghost hunting programs, I've better things to do with my time. and there is a world of difference between watching a TV show or movies, and having things happen in your own home.

I never understand this immediate association of fear with "hauntings". Some places have an atmosphere I'll give you that, some can be pretty oppressive and scary.

The vast majority of haunted houses are good places to live. The other-worldly goings on should be embraced and seen as a quirk of a house.

The two fully formed apparitions I've seen gave off nothing, I thought they were people. The shadow person and "puffa jacket" thing I've tried to get close to but both vanished. The hovering fog cloud moving against the wind I managed to pass through and it was just dry and cold.

I lived in a haunted house as a kid with lots of unexplained bangs, the sound of people walking up and down the stairs and other stuff went on. I never felt under the threat. My folks still live there and report nothing. I'm wondering if the house became quite after me and my siblings grew out of a teenage years?

I knew a women who's ghost resident was called Henry. He'd rearrange the cans in the pantry and move things about the house. She'd tell him if he overstepped the mark and he'd quieten down.

The ghost hunter stuff on the tv or net is designed to appear scary. That's what gets people viewing and hits. Doesn't mean its accurate. A lot of the internet ones are being done by people who have freaked themselves out even before they've got to the haunted location.

Remember if an atmosphere is getting oppressive - tell it that it's making you uncomfortable. Tell it that you both have to share the house together.

The only thing I'd not recommend is the ouija board stuff. That never seems to work out well.
I still struggle with the idea of ghosts, and I suppose my mind is always searching for a more earthly answer, although they are not very forthcoming at the moment. things rarely happen now, and until this incident I hadn't given past events much thought so this came as a bit of a surprise. I know what you mean about places giving off an atmosphere, I often sense emotions coming from houses, and I mean just being near a building. I know that sounds weird but I've always had a sense for things like that, but I don't get anything from my own house.

Set up a camera and record the haunted rooms while you're away.

I don't understand why these ghost hunting program makers give up so quickly, the slightest bump and they run screaming in the other direction.

It would be like a bird watching program when the instant they see a bird they shout - scare it away, pack up the equipment to go and rewatch the fleeting glimpse in the back of a van.

I don't understand why these ghost hunting program makers give up so quickly, the slightest bump and they run screaming in the other direction.

It would be like a bird watching program when the instant they see a bird they shout - scare it away, pack up the equipment to go and rewatch the fleeting glimpse in the back of a van.

...and they only spend one frigging night there!!!! They never pick anything up of value so logic dictates - spend a few more nights there you spanners.

Do you think they're made of money? Spend a few hours in darkness, get the medium to do his act, the camera crew to make a few bumps and throw stones, and they're sorted, one hour's easy TV, just like every other episode.

Do you think they're made of money? Spend a few hours in darkness, get the medium to do his act, the camera crew to make a few bumps and throw stones, and they're sorted, one hour's easy TV, just like every other episode.
I bet that's exactly how they do it, except for the 'few hours'. They probably do it all in a couple of hours, then they're off to the pub to catch last orders.

Something happened a couple of weeks ago that still has me a little bit creeped out, I was sitting in the living room one evening watching TV, when I heard something go bang in the kitchen, thinking something had fallen over I went to investigate. as soon as I opened the door I could smell the burning pan that I had left on the hob, and totally forgotten about. I turned off the hob took the pan over to the sink on the other side of the kitchen, and discovered the cause of the noise that I had heard. it was an old wine carafe that I use to keep washing up/bottle brushes in, it was in the sink fully upright and with contents intact. and to get where it was it would need to have jumped off the windowsill about two ft away, and over the top of other far less stable items that were standing in front of it. other than the carafe nothing else was disturbed. regardless of the fact that it is impossible for it to have fallen over without knocking anything else down, I was so perplexed by it that I tried to recreate what might have happened, by trying to push and tilt it over, it would not fall over without a good amount of force. btw I am the only person in the house so no one else could have moved it.
Wow, I like that story!
When we were living in our first house, we would always hear the unmistakable sound of one of our saucepans clank just once in our kitchen. This never happened when we were downstairs, it was only when we had gone to bed.

I never understand this immediate association of fear with "hauntings".
It's natural instinct isn't it? The notion of there being something present that can see us but that we can't see triggers an agitated defense posture in us. I think its the same reason many..most?..people react instinctively with terror to small fast moving things like mice or spiders. There's no real danger (well maybe in australia...) but logic doesn't come into it...we're vulnerable because we can't keep track of something that may be watching us.

It may as well be a tiger peering through the bushes.

We had a nice 'kitchen haunting' thing a couple of years ago.

An elderly relation had movement sensors installed all over the house so we could track online where she was and whether she left the building. (A dementia-care thing.)

Not cameras, just sensors, so we could log on and see that she was for example still in bed or had gone to the bathroom via the hall and back, or when she'd got up and gone back to bed.

Sometimes though there'd be movement picked up in the kitchen in the early hours when nobody was in there. If our relation had gone to the kitchen you'd see her pass through the bedroom and hall. If someone from outside had sneaked in there'd be a record of the front or back door opening and their movement through the hall into the kitchen, but there wasn't any.

The carers closed the windows at night so no curtains were blowing and there were no pets. So the sensors were picking up spontaneous movements at 2-3am in just the kitchen when there was definitely nobody in there.

I have printouts somewhere showing these movements. We never got to the bottom of it!

...the sensors were picking up spontaneous movements at 2-3am in just the kitchen when there was definitely nobody in there. We never got to the bottom of it!

My guesses:

1. Bugs or a bat close to the sensor.

2. A power surge/demand surge caused by something switching on or off, or a fluctuation on the Grid.

maximus otter

It didn't happen once in any other room though. It wasn't regular either and didn't happen every night, just now and then. No bats were present as it was indoors and lights were out so bugs were unlikely. In any case, as I've mentioned, it only happened in the one room.

It didn't happen once in any other room though. It wasn't regular either and didn't happen every night, just now and then. No bats were present as it was indoors and lights were out so bugs were unlikely. In any case, as I've mentioned, it only happened in the one room.

Temperature fluctuation inducing false positives in the device, i.e. warmth or cold causing a circuit to close or open?

maximus otter

Last edited:
I was once watching 'ouija board session' youtube videos very late at night. During one particularly creepy session there was an almighty crash from my kitchen. It sounded like something either crashing to the floor or perhaps even worse someone running against the upvc back door !

My heart in my mouth, and with all my courage I went into the kitchen and turned on the light . . . And there was nothing out of place. I peered through the back door and seeing nothing out there unlocked it and went outside . . . Nothing !

Well and truly spooked I locked up and went to bed, sure that my interest in Ouija Board videos had stirred up some restless and obviously powerful entity. I felt real cold fear, my mind racing, reaching for ways to exorcise or banish whatever angry spirit my late night viewing had summoned. After a restless night I awoke still feeling unnerved, and even shopping with my family that day, the thought of returning to a potential demonic presence shadowed my mood.

Long story short . . . A large plastic bath toy that had been suction cupped to the tlles beside the bath for my children had unstuck and fallen into the metal bath - that was directly above our kitchen.
To say I was relieved is a huge understatement !!

Last edited:
My guesses:

1. Bugs or a bat close to the sensor.

2. A power surge/demand surge caused by something switching on or off, or a fluctuation on the Grid.

maximus otter
Mice possibly. You don't always know you've got them.

I remember being a child when the house was silent with everyone in bed, at the time every night (if I was still awake) I'd hear a soft but definite clunk noise come from somewhere downstairs. I was, of course, convinced it was caused by a ghost. After mentioning it to my mum years later it turned out to be the electricity meter switching over to Economy 7.

I'm trying to remember a FOAF story from back when I was a student. It was told with apparent sincerity, and it was right up this Fortean street.

As far as I can remember, a twenty-something female student and her flatmates were plagued by a crashing sound from the communal kitchen, which only ever happened late at night. On inspection nothing could be found broken or moved, though the sound distinctly resembled breaking crockery. A mystery.

After a few months, the flatmates were together in the living room when they heard the noise again, louder than ever. Together, they crept into the kitchen. And discovered a set of plates on the drying rack by the sink, which none of them had ever seen before. A totally unfamiliar 'vintage style' set of plates.

Agog, I remember asking what became of these other-dimensional plates. 'What? Well we just used them of course. They got broken eventually...'

I remember being a child when the house was silent with everyone in bed, at the time every night (if I was still awake) I'd hear a soft but definite clunk noise come from somewhere downstairs. I was, of course, convinced it was caused by a ghost. After mentioning it to my mum years later it turned out to be the electricity meter switching over to Economy 7.
I had that in the house I owned previously. For a few years, I wondered what it was. Then, one night, I just happened to be still awake when it happened and I traced the noise to the meter box. Problem solved!

Wow, I like that story!
When we were living in our first house, we would always hear the unmistakable sound of one of our saucepans clank just once in our kitchen. This never happened when we were downstairs, it was only when we had gone to bed.

Glad to say that nothing like it has happened since, although i still jump at every noise (usually pipes cooling or my noisy neighbours) that said i still feel very uneasy in the house especially upstairs where the landing light still refuses to work despite being repaired several times. puts my imagination into overdrive.

Yeah, I always felt uneasy upstairs in my mother’s house when I used to live at home.
I think in all my childhood years and right up until I moved out, I never saw or heard anything, but used to feel like I wasn’t alone,
I always wanted to hurry up and get downstairs!

Back