Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Mr_Nemo said:
Could they be playing "Mistress and Slave"? :shock:
There's definitely a whole lot of fetishistic imagery going on there.

Is the slaphead bowing to the woman in the pleated skirt and spikey high heels, or to the wafer thin laptop?

Could he be bowing to the laptop and kowtowing to the woman in the pleated skirt and spikey high heels?

:confused:

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
He is saying: "See I told you a deskless environment works!!"

She has been drinking fizzy drinks all day (because its hot) and is seeing if she can make a dangly length of spit that will reach the laptop without breaking (possibly because he is clearly being a tool).

They were both killed just atfer this picture was taken as they were too focused on wht they were doing and forgot that the circus was coming to town - they were trampled by elephants and run over by "comedy" clown cars.

No one attended their funerals.*

* I made some of the above up but not all of it.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Caption contest winner no. 125 wins a limited edition, hand-crafted, pre-chewed, Carol Vorderman Sodoku biro.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
It's the glass ceiling, that is.

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Whole Wide World 4 England !!!

29 May 2006

I’ve been a bit shy to say anything about it, a bit backward about coming forward, not sure how people would react, unsure about the timing… I’ve made a World Cup record.

I was approached ages ago with the suggestion that I should write new lyrics to Whole Wide World to make it about winning the World Cup. I thought it was a daft idea but it somehow appealed to me – the football anthem, it’s a classic form, it holds a special place in pop culture.

So I got together with my friends Peter Hall and Karen Hibberd, and Peter, with his vast knowledge of football, helped to re-work the lyrics while Karen laughed a lot, and enthused, and got the hand claps in the wrong places (as we all did later on). I made a demo of it, passed it on and tried to forget about it, thinking that I’d really held myself up to ridicule this time.

The idea was that someone else was going to record it, it was going to be Wagnarian with a gospel chorus and a Yorkshire brass band here and there. I couldn’t quite see it myself – it’s difficult to get Wagnarian on two chords, and the chorus doesn’t really lend itself to a gospel treatment. The word came back that everyone loved it but I had to sing it and it should stay trashy, just like my demo and the original single. So that’s what happened. It’s coming out on the Fierce Panda label on June 12th.

I hope everyone likes it. And I hope we win. Of course I hope we win – the record will sell more if we do!

wrecklesseric.com/news

209153.gif

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
Hoochie Poochie

For once, I'm quite literally at a loss for words. What on earth is wrong with people these days? Dogs already have coats. They really don't need "hot pink party dresses".

Leaferne

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I was checking the web stats for a page I maintain, which has its own domain. Someone had found the page by googling the address, which is like finding FT by googling 'www.forteantimes.com'. :wtf:

Although perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised. I have dealt with more than one person at work (tech support) and realized that they had no idea how to type in an address, or bookmark something--if they wanted to go to, say, CNN, they'd go to Google, type in "cnn", and hit it that way; if I told them to go to, say, a certain address in order to download something they needed, and began spelling it out for them, they panicked! It's depressing to realize that not only are people really that stupid, they're making more money than I am.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yup, I do that. It is easier to google my own university's unique and very short name than to type in the address. Takes me straight to the homepage. :D

I CAN type in addresses though. I just don't want to. Even though I can. If I wanted to I could. I don't have fat fingers. Not me. Not a bit. No Siree.

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
I always do that if I come across an address on a webpage that isn't actually a link (ie: 'www.forteantimes.com') I highlight the text, then select the "Search web for 'www.forteantimes.com'" option from the right pop-up menu in Firefox, which then opens the Google search in a new tab.

It just seems marginally quicker and easier than opening a new tab 'manually' then typing or pasting the address into the address bar.

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
There are so many: .com; .org; .net; .biz; .co.uk; .etc's out there, that googling the name is really about the fastest way of summoning up a web address.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I use the imdb quite often and prefer to Google for the correct page and go from there, rather than wait for the imdb search-page to open with its unwanted guff about the latest releases. Method in the madness! 8)

A

Anonymous

graylien said:
For once, I'm quite literally at a loss for words. What on earth is wrong with people these days?

Anyone who uses an apostrophe to indicate the plural of coat: Party Dresses & Coat's is obviously not right in more than one way. The greengrocer's apostrophe is strictly controlled and not to be used for the purpose of promoting animal cruelty.

mindalai

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
If I remember correctly it's OK to use apostrophes after abbreviations like etc and also after numbers (e.g. "the 60's") so I think you're OK.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Yeah, but there isn't a plural of "et cetera", is there?

Leaferne

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
No, because it *is* a plural, of sorts; it's Latin for "and the others".

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
mindalai said:
If I remember correctly it's OK to use apostrophes after abbreviations like etc and also after numbers (e.g. "the 60's") so I think you're OK.

Not in any grammar book or style guide i've ever consulted. 60s is correct.

What if i wanted to refer to multiple usages of the phrase etc./et cetera?

Then, 'etc.s' or 'et ceteras' would seem correct.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Et cetera is in itself already a plural (essentially "and other similar things".) Yith's right: etcetera in the sense of accessories is pluralised as "etceteras". No apostrophes.

Leaferne

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
The whip guy does seem a little tightly wound, dunne? *edges towards the door*

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't he ever?

I don't imagine he gets invited to many parties, however free-thinking they may be...

lemonpie3

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
theyithian said:
mindalai said:

Not in any grammar book or style guide i've ever consulted. 60s is correct.

What if i wanted to refer to multiple usages of the phrase etc./et cetera?

Then, 'etc.s' or 'et ceteras' would seem correct.

Actually I think 60's is fine, but 60s is also fine. My preference is for 60s but apostrophe-s for plurals of abbreviations is normal. Couldn't quote any style guides, a few places on a quick google show it, not that that's much of a recommendation.

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
I'm partial to Jethro Tull. I'm quite partial to Led Zeppelin's song Kashmir. I'm even quite partial to Jazz/Rock violin playing. But put those three things together and what do you get? A Very Bad Idea - that's what.

Kashmir

WTF were they thinking?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Thank you. That's both my present and former husbands thoroughly insulted. A good job well done. :D

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
Dog wailing calmly? WTF is that? It's like some kind of Zen riddle! Imagine one hand clapping. Now imagine dog wailing calmly. I was going to post this in cryptozoology somewhere but it's just too bonkers:

POLAND: STRANGE ENTITY SEEN IN WOJEWODZTWO LUBELSKIE [2006]

Location: Road #19, between Lublin and Krasnik, East of Niedrzwica Koscielna, POLAND

A certain man allegedly observed some strange entity near Niedrzwica Koscielna. It was allegedly a huge "animal" that ran unbelievably fast but it didn't left prints on a soft snow covering the field. The witness couldn't hear sounds of its pace but the entity emitted also odd voices that were also detected by some dogs located several km away. The witness conducted psychological tests.

Here is a fragment of his relation [based on an original audio record of his statement]: "I saw a very odd animal on a field next to the path I walked. It was late and dark so I'm not able to fully describe it. I could rather hear it but also in an other way: I couldn't hear it walking on the snow despite of a fact that the field was covered with a dozen centimeter thick layer of snow.

The snow cover may smothered the sound but in some places the surface was frozen and crackling. And when I visited that place by day I didn't find any traces of it despite of a fact that it wasn't snowing what might wipe out the prints.

Suddenly I heard strange sounds emitted by it. It wasn't howling, wailing but rather growling or snoring. It resembles a crow's croaking but it wasn't. The sound lasted several seconds and echo took it […] I felt shivers down my spine when I heard wailing of dozens of dogs […].

The animal moved away suddenly and for a fraction of a second I was able to observe it passing about 50 m in front of me. Anyway it was just a moment and I didn't regard it well. After about a half of a minute it screamed strangely once again. […]

When I saw my dog [when I reached home], it scared me. Dog refused to went out of his kennel wailing calmly, listening carefully and looking around. The dog behaved strange also on the next day. […]

On the next day I went in that place where I encountered that "thing". As I said it wasn't snowing nor raining and despite of it I wasn't able to find any footprints of a huge animal. I noticed only footprints of partridge and also those of hare or a rabbit. I was confused because the creature must left some prints. […]

source

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Good find, Graylien!

Obviously a lot lost in the translation there (and perhaps a bit added!)
Dog wailing calmly?
Well, I can understand that.

But
The witness conducted psychological tests.
On who or what? Himself?
And what were the results? :shock:

Mr_Seaweedski

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
graylien said:
I'm partial to Jethro Tull. I'm quite partial to Led Zeppelin's song Kashmir. I'm even quite partial to Jazz/Rock violin playing. But put those three things together and what do you get? A Very Bad Idea - that's what.

Kashmir

WTF were they thinking?

Dear Lord that is quite unusual! :shock: One of my pet rats (Salvador) seems to like it though.
My :wtf: is how few people understand when I get pedantic about the question "Can I.....?". I mostly reply that I'm sure they have the ability, but in this instance they may or may not.... Takes ages to explain, but is great fun confusing the annoying kids infront of their classmates! :twisted:

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Mighty_Emperor said:
When it comes to strangeness other nations may be in the race but they never really stand a chance against Japan when it comes to inducing a great big

:wtf:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=864B8BiIFJw
Oh, thank you. Thank you very, very much.

See this over on the Stuck Tune Syndrome thread.

Cheers, Emps. :evil:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
What if you're Japanese and robbed by one man?