Things That Make You Go... WTF?

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Heard this recently. It's come via a professional (NHS) midwife.

When a baby is born every aspect of his or her physical condition is assessed, including their eyes. Their eyes are examined and their pupils' response to bright light is recorded.

A mother whose newborn baby had passed all the tests asked a nurse to help her clean Baby's sticky eyes. When the nurse began gently wiping the baby's eyelids with cotton wool or whatever, she felt nothing underneath.

The baby had been born without eyes. Someone had checked the baby over as usual and recorded that his or her eyes were functioning perfectly when they weren't even there. Someone's getting the sack!

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Just reminded myself of a documentary watched a few years back.

It was about those who - profoundly unauthorised - climb bridges, tower cranes, etc. just for the challenge and maybe take some video/photographs of their 'accomplishments' to prove same.

Documentary featured a young English guy involved with this, who travels to Russia, intent on meeting an 'underground legend' of the genre.

Said Russian 'legend' challenges him to an astonishing dare. Our visitor is not sure about this one at all, however is compelled to accept the challenge.

Last image I recall is the Russian guy hanging off the end of an enormous crane boom, at considerable height, holding on with one hand...

An absolute what the...

Anyone maybe recognise this?
Not from that documentary - surely has to be the same Russian guy though.

What the......

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
My dad - and every other serviceman l’ve ever talked to - loved the Gurkhas.

In 1944-1945 dad was with 267 Squadron, Transport Command, in Burma...
I profoundly understand this connection with the Gurkhas and thought the following might be of interest to you.

Just look it up online at pinterest.com.

It's a wonderful little archive and then expansive if you click on the images.

As I expect you might know, a Google search under '267 squadron' exhibits considerable, related, historical insight.

Screenshot_20181015-003321.png

As a Royal Engineer my brother was involved with some sort of training for the Gurkhas. Like, it seems, just about everyone else who has served alongside them, he loved them. But, he says, their organisational skills are (or were - it's a few years ago now) apparently infamously uneven, and there are occasional problems with discilpine.

While he was at whichever barracks it was there was a bit of a riot over some issue or other - probably to do with food, alcohol or pay - and probably related to those organisational skills. While the chaos ensued he asked a commanding officer what he was going to do.

What am I going to do? Are you insane? What I am going to 'do' is drink some tea until it's calmed down a bit. A little while after that they'll come back and apologise, profusely. Other courses of action are not recommended.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Last edited: