Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
...Urban Dictionary is recording what others nearby may call them - in a none-too complimentary way! :fugly:
Did you notice that as well...! :btime:

Know exactly what you mean... town nearby where the locals are still caricatured by other surrounding towns as, 'pailmarks', deriding that they were the last town in the region to have toiletry sanitation, hence, they were still using pails (a tin bucket, typically with a handle) as a means of.... well... you get the gist, I'm sure,... :reyes:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
... I think I referenced 'Still Game' earlier...do any of you Scoatches on here know what that "Hurdy gurdy gurdy oan thae windae boaxes" business is about in said programme?
Andy,

This has proved to be puzzling.

Most certainty a phrase I've never heard of and would expert otherwise.

One suggestion is that 'windae' is not referring to a window, instead it's related to the hurdy-gurdy being a musical instrument which requires to be 'hand cranked' - as in a 'windy (*wyndy*) box'.

Hmmm, not sure about that...

There is a debate about whether the lyrics are, 'in the windae boxes', or, 'all the windae boxes'. If the latter, makes more sense.

Anyway, as an aside, searching online, naturally came across references to Donavan's song, 'Hurdy Gurdy Man'.

One thing that leapt out was a mention Donavan being a Scottish singer-songwriter.

Dinnae think so... must be an error.

Part of the soundtrack from my youngling years, would surely have known if that was the case.

Duly check this out and stunned to find that he was born in Maryhill, Glasgow...

Alex, I was 'born and bred' in Maryhill...

If anyone would like to experience the sound of a hurdy gurdy, check this out:

Another revelation from my adventures...! :p

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
1.3 Timmy Mallets.
I have it on very good authority that Timmy Mallet is "a lovely man" Yith, he used to stay at a hotel the Mrs worked at, she's still got a picture of them all together and yes, it was in Cromer. I'll try and post the pic later unless she doesn't know where it is. Or she doesn't want me to.

Ronnie Corbet was "a prick" though according to her.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
Just because we all know that 'Pinky Punky' is still trendy in Cromer...

http://timmymallett.co.uk/

I just had a butcher's at his website:

Upcoming Events
26 May 2019
Timmy will appear at Parkdean Resorts, Sandford, Poole.
24 July 2019

ParkDean Resorts – Vauxhall, Great Yarmouth.
27 July 2019
ParkDean Resorts – Southview, Skegness.
31 July 2019
ParkDean Resorts – Trecco Bay, Porthcawl.
8 August 2019
ParkDean Resorts – Highfield Grange, Clacton on Sea.

That's a catalogue of British bleak right there.

I have it on very good authority that Timmy Mallet is "a lovely man" Yith, he used to stay at a hotel the Mrs worked at, she's still got a picture of them all together and yes, it was in Cromer. I'll try and post the pic later unless she doesn't know where it is. Or she doesn't want me to.

Ronnie Corbet was "a prick" though according to her.
1 Mallet = 1.3 Corbetts, at today's exchange rate.

Swifty

At least we haven't got Jim Davidson again this year, he was temporarily listed as returning early this year but his plans have changed ohdearwhatashame ..

I'm spotting a pattern with him, he doesn't like young women in authority .. that's how he pissed Cromer off and he seems to have done it again in Falmouth judging by his blog on his official website from 143 days ago ..

"I went and bought Kev and I a burger in the Bar. There were lots of people eating. The waitress aged 12 behind the bar had to ask her friend if they were still serving food. The fire alarm went off for 10 minutes and nobody did a thing! A man in the restaurant asked me what I was doing in Falmouth?
I went out to the car and got changed in the carpark. It was becoming obvious that this lot couldn’t give a fuck!
I walked up the stage stairs at 1935 and commenced as the audience drifted in from the bar.
Two and a half hours later we went back to Torquay and had a bowl of soup on the boat.

The place should be closed as a waste of money. or sack the morons that run it and get some grown-ups who know about theatre. Or plod on with tribute acts who know no better.

It will be, and has been, reported as my fault. Never again"

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Police in the US state of Arizona have launched a sexual assault investigation amid reports a patient in a vegetative state for a decade gave birth. The woman is a patient in a clinic run by Hacienda HealthCare near Phoenix. Hacienda HealthCare gave no details but said it was aware of a "deeply disturbing incident". A local CBS station said the baby was healthy and quoted a source as saying that staff had been unaware the woman was pregnant.

Continued Here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46768242

Swifty

Police in the US state of Arizona have launched a sexual assault investigation amid reports a patient in a vegetative state for a decade gave birth. The woman is a patient in a clinic run by Hacienda HealthCare near Phoenix. Hacienda HealthCare gave no details but said it was aware of a "deeply disturbing incident". A local CBS station said the baby was healthy and quoted a source as saying that staff had been unaware the woman was pregnant.

Continued Here:
Jesus .. it's like that fiction bit in Kill Bill :mad: .. thank God the baby's alive and DNA testing will hopefully work out who this bastard is. I hope the woman's OK.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman

Continued Here:
There are times when I give up hope for humanity (quite often at present) and this is definitely one of those occasions. This could be straight out of CSI or Law and Order (there are distinct echoes of one episode of the latter series), but this is real life and it literally (sic) makes me weep. I despair for the hope of the human race on reading things like this.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
Axl Rose is now a Looney Toon:

The artwork is ugly and the style primitive, why make new Looney Toons? I don't see this appealing to (m)any adults and how many kids remember or even know of Bugs Bunny et al?

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
There are times when I give up hope for humanity (quite often at present) and this is definitely one of those occasions. This could be straight out of CSI or Law and Order (there are distinct echoes of one episode of the latter series), but this is real life and it literally (sic) makes me weep. I despair for the hope of the human race on reading things like this.
Sadly too, cases such as this aren't isolated incidents. As long as there are predators about they will always take advantage of the weak and helpless in society. I read of things as dreadful as this all too often. Just imagine the many horrors that go unreported.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
This hardly surprised me. In my MA in Criminology I looked into crime against older people. As with other vulnerable groups (children, the disabled) they are generally more at risk of crime (theft, violence, fraud) from people caring for them than from strangers.

Adults with diminished capacity who live in care homes are at risk from abusers for several reasons, including the poor status and salaries of workers. Put simply, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Here are examples of the problems -

Staff can be constantly changing. Homes are usually run on minimum staffing levels so there's no chance of residents being chaperoned.
Many homes put up with poor staff because they can't recruit quality people.

Homes in rural areas are stuck with whoever lives locally as they're not paid enough to run a car.

Homes have lost staff to factories where the money is better and they're never required to stay late for no extra pay.

Homes often rely on foreign workers who might be perfectly trustworthy but easily intimidated into turning a blind eye to dodgy practices.

The above, in italics, are all things I've personally witnessed.

One of the more disturbing things I learned in my research was that some men who want easy sex are drawn to care work. Male care workers are highly prized as there are fewer of them and they are considered stronger and more able to deal with heavy or troublesome clients. Sadly there are some who abuse the people in their care.

This article explains it; it's quite old, from 2001, but still relevant.

Hidden plague of sexual abuse grips care homes

Professionals refused to believe it at first, but there is now undeniable evidence that the abuse of old people in homes is on a level with the paedophile menace
Here's the most chilling bit; a quote from Ginny Jenkin, then director of Action for Elder Abuse - 'It's not about sex, it's about power,' she added. 'There are even pages on paedophile websites encouraging men finding it hard to access children to gain employment at care homes. They say the sex is just as good and there's far less risk of getting caught.'

Most care workers are compassionate and professional but there is huge potential for abuse, if a person is determined enough. Sex offenders can be patient and skilful at manipulation. Understaffed homes with set routines and high levels of trust where vulnerable people live are the perfect setting for abuse of many kinds.

The man who impregnated the lady in this case, if he's ever found, was probably a temporary low-skilled worker who's long gone now. I'd be surprised if he's even caught. Awful business.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
I used to cope with what was then called 'gallows humour'. Anyone over 30 probably knows the kind of thing I mean, especially if they know lots of doctors and nurses. Now I just have another drink :-(

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
I used to cope with what was then called 'gallows humour'. Anyone over 30 probably knows the kind of thing I mean, especially if they know lots of doctors and nurses. Now I just have another drink :-(
It ought to be axiomatic that, in setting up any institution that has the potential for abuse of (e.g.) residents, as seen by those who might commit such, is properly evaluated and as far as possible 'designed out'.

Certainly any such institution that can be 'gamed' for abusive purposes absolutely will be sooner or later. You have to tighten the system up from day one and also take into account the POV of an abuser, unpleasant though that is.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
how many kids remember or even know of Bugs Bunny et al?
In one class, none at all! We were looking at epitaphs, especially humourous ones and neither the name of Mel Blanc - understandable perhaps - nor the phrase "That's All Folks!" which he had inscribed on his tombstone were familiar to them.

It's either Disney or Manga stuff now, so far as I can make out. :dunno:

catseye

For the greater good
This hardly surprised me. In my MA in Criminology I looked into crime against older people. As with other vulnerable groups (children, the disabled) they are generally more at risk of crime (theft, violence, fraud) from people caring for them than from strangers.

Adults with diminished capacity who live in care homes are at risk from abusers for several reasons, including the poor status and salaries of workers. Put simply, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Here are examples of the problems -

Staff can be constantly changing. Homes are usually run on minimum staffing levels so there's no chance of residents being chaperoned.
Many homes put up with poor staff because they can't recruit quality people.

Homes in rural areas are stuck with whoever lives locally as they're not paid enough to run a car.

Homes have lost staff to factories where the money is better and they're never required to stay late for no extra pay.

Homes often rely on foreign workers who might be perfectly trustworthy but easily intimidated into turning a blind eye to dodgy practices.

The above, in italics, are all things I've personally witnessed.

One of the more disturbing things I learned in my research was that some men who want easy sex are drawn to care work. Male care workers are highly prized as there are fewer of them and they are considered stronger and more able to deal with heavy or troublesome clients. Sadly there are some who abuse the people in their care.

This article explains it; it's quite old, from 2001, but still relevant.

Hidden plague of sexual abuse grips care homes

Here's the most chilling bit; a quote from Ginny Jenkin, then director of Action for Elder Abuse - 'It's not about sex, it's about power,' she added. 'There are even pages on paedophile websites encouraging men finding it hard to access children to gain employment at care homes. They say the sex is just as good and there's far less risk of getting caught.'

Most care workers are compassionate and professional but there is huge potential for abuse, if a person is determined enough. Sex offenders can be patient and skilful at manipulation. Understaffed homes with set routines and high levels of trust where vulnerable people live are the perfect setting for abuse of many kinds.

The man who impregnated the lady in this case, if he's ever found, was probably a temporary low-skilled worker who's long gone now. I'd be surprised if he's even caught. Awful business.
Plus DNA testing will only be of any use if they have samples from the putative father. OK, they might find him one day, but it's not as though his name is going to pop up on the test results is it? They might narrow it down (ethnic background, etc) but I fear it will remain a mystery, until he does something that results in a police record.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
On a less serious note.... what are the dots here? and why? Anything I can think of (wasp holes, a daily "motion" calendar) is unpleasant. And they aren't straight goddamit!!!!!!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
On a less serious note.... what are the dots here? and why? Anything I can think of (wasp holes, a daily "motion" calendar) is unpleasant. And they aren't straight goddamit!!!!!!
It appears to me the 'dots' are holes / perforations in the bricks. Such perforations are common in structural bricks - particularly those that aren't planned to be visible in the finished structure.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
It appears to me the 'dots' are holes / perforations in the bricks. Such perforations are common in structural bricks - particularly those that aren't planned to be visible in the finished structure.
I thought about that... in which case they are oddly out of alignment with the body of the brick. Historical/archaeological bricks tend to be uniformish at least within the batch I think? So the unpleasantness with this solution would be that they are a ;load of friday afternoon specials and about to collapse! I am wondering if we are looking at the right hand edge of a fireplace opening which would make more sense of teh rest of it.

Where the hell is the toilet?
I think the photographer is sitting on it? isn't seen in the mirror for example. Which means that there's a looooooong stretch to the paper!