Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Coming away from work, I narrowly avoided an accident.
I turned right out of my works entrance, only to dimly see 3 mopeds in single file go past.
The first 2 had dark clothing and no lights. The 3rd one in line had a light - I saw him coming, but not the first 2.
If I'd turned a bit later, that would have been a nasty accident, with at least one fatality.

Are young people getting more intelligent? The jury's out on that one.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Without getting into politics, I was a bit taken aback while drinking me tea to see that Alex Salmond has just been charged with thirteen different counts of various forms of sexual assault (including two of attempted rape). There's also a charge of breaching the peace, which I doubt he's thinking about very much.

Innocent until proven guilty, but still a bit of shock to see him charged--he always came across as a rather jovial chap.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Without getting into politics, I was a bit taken aback while drinking me tea to see that Alex Salmond has just been charged with thirteen different counts of various forms of sexual assault (including two of attempted rape). There's also a charge of breaching the peace, which I doubt he's thinking about very much.

Innocent until proven guilty, but still a bit of shock to see him charged--he always came across as a rather jovial chap.
Blimey .. I hope it's all bullshit, nothing says false rape and sexual assault claim/claims more than a wealthy man in a position of power, I noticed the charges against Julian Assange have been dropped by his accusers .. mind you, conversely, some wealthy men in positions of power act like randy teenage boys. I'll be keeping an eye on any developments.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

I really don't like him, but he does need to have a fair trial.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score

A former colleague encountered him a behind-the-scenes capacity and said he was a totally different character - very arrogant and bad tempered. He turned on the charm when the media appeared.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
he'd forget why he was even there in the fist place.
Da fist-place issa no good place! Hiss nodda good boy, my sohn! Ah drave heem eveewharr!

"His son confessed to telling the victim he was going to find her and "saw her legs off"

He went on to say that his entire knowledge of British culture was based on "Knees Up Mother Brown!" and that he hoped to catch her bending . . . :actw:

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score

Without coming over all political, I don’t buy all that “jovial chap” line at all.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
...I suspect Jack's little ditty may be one of those comedy mysteries that was created to be deliberately unsolvable, along with whatever's in Alan's drawer at the Travel Tavern.
This is taken from the online script for series 2, episode 3:

'CRASH! Have we hit a deer or something? Ya clown! God's sake! Is it a dug? Aw, shit! Hurdy-gurdy-gurdy In the window box Jesus!'

Sounds like an exclamation, rather than a song.

I can find no trace of any such song... except for someone on a fan's forum who claimed her grandmother used to sing it to her!

The question of its origin and meaning has come up a few times on fan's forums and seemingly no one has been able to answer either question.

Is it an exclamation which 'Jack' hums as if the line from a song?

Will keep searching for answers!

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score
Yep, I've looked at the fan forums and found no answers either, but I did see that post with the Grandmother claim!

cf. that weird phase in Ever Decreasing Circles where Ann keeps saying things three times. Is she supposed to be having some sort of breakdown? Is there a hidden occult significance to this? Is it an in-joke amongst the writers? ;)

Nobody knows ...

Last edited:

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
A Hurdy gurdy is one o' they mad wee pianos wi the rolls o' music in it that play by itsel'.Wit has to do wi' windae boxes I don't know,but then when it comes to Jack and Victor,ye never know what their gonnae do next.:lol:

Like they said, I think the may have just made it up

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Without coming over all political, I don’t buy all that “jovial chap” line at all.
My mum's met Eck and said he was sleazy, didn't feel too comfortable around him. It could be another Yewtree-style fail, or there could be more to it, I dunno. Just hope it doesn't cost us half a million quid this time.

Ogdred Weary

Noeth Ac Anoeth
Reaction score
Blimey .. I hope it's all bullshit, nothing says false rape and sexual assault claim/claims more than a wealthy man in a position of power, I noticed the charges against Julian Assange have been dropped by his accusers .. mind you, conversely, some wealthy men in positions of power act like randy teenage boys. I'll be keeping an eye on any developments.
Sorry Swifty but nothing says "rape and sexual assault" more than a wealthy man in a position of power to me, those are precisely the sorts of men who are most likely to indulge their worst urges, not least of all because they feel they can get away with it, and generally speaking, given their positions, they can. They may also feel that given how wealthy and powerful and "important" they are, that they deserve "it". The worst demographic of people I've met have been the wealthy, a disproportionate amount have been vile, arrogant cunts who treat the rest of humanity as their underlings.

I'm not saying every wealthy or powerful person id like that or that all such men are rapists, nor do I deny that some men in positions of power might be targets due to their wealth, it's just that the financially privileged have the highest amount of cuntitude in any group I've encountered. Again, there are people like that in all walks of life and a subset of the poorest can be abhorrent too.

Just because Assange is a "freedom of information" hero doesn't mean he isn't a rapist, I'm not saying he is one, just that we simply don't know and never will.

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score
A Hurdy gurdy is one o' they mad wee pianos wi the rolls o' music in it that play by itsel'.Wit has to do wi' windae boxes I don't know,but then when it comes to Jack and Victor,ye never know what their gonnae do next.:lol:

Like they said, I think the may have just made it up
That's a pianola innit? Isn't a hurdy gurdy one of these - like the instrument I nearly bought from a market once - it's a sort of medieval superviolin which is hand-cranked to power a rosin-coated wheel rather than using a bow?

Hurdy-Gurdy.jpg

I think there were barrel organ-type things in a cabinet with a hurgy-gurdy built in ...

Complicated!

Last edited:

henry

still speeding
Reaction score
nothing says "rape and sexual assault" more than a wealthy man in a position of power to me, those are precisely the sorts of men who are most likely to indulge their worst urges, not least of all because they feel they can get away with it, and generally speaking, given their positions, they can
what is the basis for this i wonder