Things That Make You Go... WTF?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
he'd forget why he was even there in the fist place.
Da fist-place issa no good place! Hiss nodda good boy, my sohn! Ah drave heem eveewharr!

"His son confessed to telling the victim he was going to find her and "saw her legs off"

He went on to say that his entire knowledge of British culture was based on "Knees Up Mother Brown!" and that he hoped to catch her bending . . . :actw:

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Without getting into politics, I was a bit taken aback while drinking me tea to see that Alex Salmond has just been charged with thirteen different counts of various forms of sexual assault (including two of attempted rape). There's also a charge of breaching the peace, which I doubt he's thinking about very much.

Innocent until proven guilty, but still a bit of shock to see him charged--he always came across as a rather jovial chap.
Without coming over all political, I don’t buy all that “jovial chap” line at all.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
...I suspect Jack's little ditty may be one of those comedy mysteries that was created to be deliberately unsolvable, along with whatever's in Alan's drawer at the Travel Tavern.
This is taken from the online script for series 2, episode 3:

'CRASH! Have we hit a deer or something? Ya clown! God's sake! Is it a dug? Aw, shit! Hurdy-gurdy-gurdy In the window box Jesus!'

Sounds like an exclamation, rather than a song.

I can find no trace of any such song... except for someone on a fan's forum who claimed her grandmother used to sing it to her!

The question of its origin and meaning has come up a few times on fan's forums and seemingly no one has been able to answer either question.

Is it an exclamation which 'Jack' hums as if the line from a song?

Will keep searching for answers!

Yep, I've looked at the fan forums and found no answers either, but I did see that post with the Grandmother claim!

cf. that weird phase in Ever Decreasing Circles where Ann keeps saying things three times. Is she supposed to be having some sort of breakdown? Is there a hidden occult significance to this? Is it an in-joke amongst the writers? ;)

Nobody knows ...

Last edited:

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
A Hurdy gurdy is one o' they mad wee pianos wi the rolls o' music in it that play by itsel'.Wit has to do wi' windae boxes I don't know,but then when it comes to Jack and Victor,ye never know what their gonnae do next.:lol:

Like they said, I think the may have just made it up

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Without coming over all political, I don’t buy all that “jovial chap” line at all.
My mum's met Eck and said he was sleazy, didn't feel too comfortable around him. It could be another Yewtree-style fail, or there could be more to it, I dunno. Just hope it doesn't cost us half a million quid this time.

Blimey .. I hope it's all bullshit, nothing says false rape and sexual assault claim/claims more than a wealthy man in a position of power, I noticed the charges against Julian Assange have been dropped by his accusers .. mind you, conversely, some wealthy men in positions of power act like randy teenage boys. I'll be keeping an eye on any developments.
Sorry Swifty but nothing says "rape and sexual assault" more than a wealthy man in a position of power to me, those are precisely the sorts of men who are most likely to indulge their worst urges, not least of all because they feel they can get away with it, and generally speaking, given their positions, they can. They may also feel that given how wealthy and powerful and "important" they are, that they deserve "it". The worst demographic of people I've met have been the wealthy, a disproportionate amount have been vile, arrogant cunts who treat the rest of humanity as their underlings.

I'm not saying every wealthy or powerful person id like that or that all such men are rapists, nor do I deny that some men in positions of power might be targets due to their wealth, it's just that the financially privileged have the highest amount of cuntitude in any group I've encountered. Again, there are people like that in all walks of life and a subset of the poorest can be abhorrent too.

Just because Assange is a "freedom of information" hero doesn't mean he isn't a rapist, I'm not saying he is one, just that we simply don't know and never will.

A Hurdy gurdy is one o' they mad wee pianos wi the rolls o' music in it that play by itsel'.Wit has to do wi' windae boxes I don't know,but then when it comes to Jack and Victor,ye never know what their gonnae do next.:lol:

Like they said, I think the may have just made it up
That's a pianola innit? Isn't a hurdy gurdy one of these - like the instrument I nearly bought from a market once - it's a sort of medieval superviolin which is hand-cranked to power a rosin-coated wheel rather than using a bow?

Hurdy-Gurdy.jpg

I think there were barrel organ-type things in a cabinet with a hurgy-gurdy built in ...

Complicated!

Last edited:

henry

still speeding
nothing says "rape and sexual assault" more than a wealthy man in a position of power to me, those are precisely the sorts of men who are most likely to indulge their worst urges, not least of all because they feel they can get away with it, and generally speaking, given their positions, they can
what is the basis for this i wonder

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Without getting into politics, I was a bit taken aback while drinking me tea to see that Alex Salmond has just been charged with thirteen different counts of various forms of sexual assault (including two of attempted rape). There's also a charge of breaching the peace, which I doubt he's thinking about very much.

Innocent until proven guilty, but still a bit of shock to see him charged--he always came across as a rather jovial chap.
Don't be fooled by his public persona - I've met him twice; he's an arrogant twat full of his own self-importance.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Sorry Swifty but nothing says "rape and sexual assault" more than a wealthy man in a position of power to me, those are precisely the sorts of men who are most likely to indulge their worst urges, not least of all because they feel they can get away with it, and generally speaking, given their positions, they can. They may also feel that given how wealthy and powerful and "important" they are, that they deserve "it". The worst demographic of people I've met have been the wealthy, a disproportionate amount have been vile, arrogant cunts who treat the rest of humanity as their underlings.

I'm not saying every wealthy or powerful person id like that or that all such men are rapists, nor do I deny that some men in positions of power might be targets due to their wealth, it's just that the financially privileged have the highest amount of cuntitude in any group I've encountered. Again, there are people like that in all walks of life and a subset of the poorest can be abhorrent too.

Just because Assange is a "freedom of information" hero doesn't mean he isn't a rapist, I'm not saying he is one, just that we simply don't know and never will.
I agree with every word and will add that it's about power.

Even a small amount of power, such as being the one who decides whether the new secretary is suitable, can go to some men's heads and make them think they have Droit de Seigneur or whatever it is.

I was personally subjected to this type of harassment at work and elsewhere along with most of my friends and colleagues for years.

We learned to spot the dirty bastards from afar. They were usually the jovial family men whom nobody would suspect of sleaziness. It's all an act. Politicians' second nature.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

We're on the same page except you excluded that part from my post when quoting me Ogred where I also wrote that people (let's not be politically correct here, it is mostly men) abuse positions of power through sexuality .. no arguments from me there : "some wealthy men in positions of power act like teenage boys" is the bit you left out that I wrote that you've somehow left out. I'm not a rape or sexual assault apologist, abuse on this level is real and so is people playing on the fear of abuse in our current times to falsely claim they've been abused. The authorities will hopefully do their jobs properly and find out the truth and justice will be done.

henry

still speeding
while a lot of rape/sex assault scenarios are clearly predicated on exertion of power, it strikes me that those who in their daily lives feel lacking in power/voice/attention etc would be more liable to succumb to this type of scenario

tangenting ... i feel that road-rage/driving-harassment is generally also a symptom of people who feel they have little or no control over any other aspect of their lives, until they get in a car and exert power instantly by driving like a lunatic, vying for attention, securing a needed response, etc

Swifty

as they do for burglars and aggravated assaulters also, not always as easy to spot from afar as sexual predators

recent uk stats from national statistics
There's so many factors, it's mind boggling. All I know (and firmly still believe) is that any time a woman reports that's she's been sexually assaulted or raped, she has to be taken seriously and her allegation has to be investigated. I was accused of rape once, and arrested for it .. worst day of my life and I still haven't recovered from it even though I wasn't charged. One thing I was determined not to become after that was a woman hater. I remember phoning my Dad, scared shitless and he told me after a deep sigh "She's probably accused men before .. " .. he was uncannily correct, I later found out I was number 2 of 3 .. "Now I need you to listen to me, you're scared so naturally you're going to want to tell everybody you know what's just happened to you but don't and I can't stress that enough. I'll put you onto your Mother." ..

My big Sister phoned me later that day: "Mum's just told me about that woman .. what a fucking bitch" .. my ex phoned me and was just as angry about what was happening to me, that was the weird thing to me, I was expecting all women I knew to start being distant or worse but it was actually some of the men I knew who started being different with me .. the women, not even just my only family members were rock solid steady about it, I was an absolute wreck.

The woman told so many provable lies that I wasn't even charged or taken to court. My only residual anger isn't with her but with the legal system who then didn't decide to 'bust' her instead for wasting police time.

I refuse to hate all women just because of her, she's not getting that as well.

henry

still speeding
malicious false reporters do get prosecuted, occasionally to custodial, a few local cases i am aware of ... difficult though clearly

these cases are ugly from every angle ... youve stayed strong

pandacracker

Ephemeral Spectre
I believe having power over another person (or any living thing for that matter) can be intoxicating and addictive, whether it comes from a president of a country or a teenage babysitter.

Getting someone to do as you say, especially when they don't want to, has an immense effect on the one giving the orders.

When your Granny said "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" she wasn't wrong.

Swifty

I believe having power over another person (or any living thing for that matter) can be intoxicating and addictive, whether it comes from a president of a country or a teenage babysitter.

Getting someone to do as you say, especially when they don't want to, has an immense effect on the one giving the orders.

When your Granny said "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" she wasn't wrong.
Being put in authority in my experience is more often a case of 'less is more' .. the mods here will probably consent to that angle unless they have no choice .. giving someone high authority who isn't ready for it is like putting a teenager on a high powered motorbike, it's not going to end well without maturity.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
This response (posted under 'insanepeople' on Reddit) is also WTF? worthy.

View attachment 14130
A male nurse has been arrested on suspicion of rape after a woman who has been in a coma for 14 years gave birth last month.

Phoenix Police announced that Nathan Sutherland, 36, who was employed at the Hacienda HealthCare centre in Phoenix, Arizona, was arrested today after his DNA "matched the baby".

Chief Jeri Williams said the hospital worker was responsible for caring for the patient during the time she was sexually assaulted.

Police said Sutherland was a licensed practical nurse and had worked at the facility since 2011.

I agree with every word and will add that it's about power.

Even a small amount of power, such as being the one who decides whether the new secretary is suitable, can go to some men's heads and make them think they have Droit de Seigneur or whatever it is.

I was personally subjected to this type of harassment at work and elsewhere along with most of my friends and colleagues for years.

We learned to spot the dirty bastards from afar. They were usually the jovial family men whom nobody would suspect of sleaziness. It's all an act. Politicians' second nature.
You can draw straight line between ethics and seniority in almost every enterprise 'on average'.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6

Swifty

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Yep, I've looked at the fan forums and found no answers either, but I did see that post with the Grandmother claim!

cf. that weird phase in Ever Decreasing Circles where Ann keeps saying things three times. Is she supposed to be having some sort of breakdown? Is there a hidden occult significance to this? Is it an in-joke amongst the writers? ;)

Nobody knows ...
Andy, I have taken endeavours to a 'Scots Language' forum - surely an explanation therein?

Not so far, the apparent phrase, 'in the windae boxes', remains a puzzle.

However, this has been highlighted and may crucially be a pointer in the right direction.

1548473584677173.jpg

That was only yesterday, so hopefully some further elucidation might yet be forthcoming!