Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Michigan couple and their 19-month-old daughter were removed from an American Airlines flight after the airline told them that other passengers and crew members had complained about their body odor.

Yossi Adler said he and his wife, Jennie, were heading home from a vacation in Miami on Wednesday night when they were told there was an emergency and they needed to exit the plane.

Full Story:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...dy-odor-american-airlines-20190125-story.html
Not available in Europe. Bah! I could get all high-techy and pretend to be from somewhere else. Actually, I probably couldn't!

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
... I suspect Jack's little ditty may be one of those comedy mysteries that was created to be deliberately unsolvable, along with whatever's in Alan's drawer at the Travel Tavern.
In the absence of further evidence to the contrary... and given no trace of any such song (even though, as mentioned, someone recalls her Granny singing it...), I believe you may be shockingly close to the truth here.

One response to my inherent query to the Scots Language forum - they have close to 5,000 subscribers, so if they've all never come across a related song, seems the following conclusion is reasonable:

"I think it's mibbes jist a bit of nonsense. Nae meaning ataw. But it gets folk wunnering!".

Well done, sir.

Duly awarded one of Scotland's finest honours, 'A pat on the heid and a Mars bar'.

Deep fried, of course...

frankiefelix

Junior Acolyte
That’s The Second Coming with an immaculate conception ruled out in this case then. I reckon it took about half an hour to solve this case at the end but the gestation period is nine months. The really weird thing is nobody noticed this timelapse taking place.
Please may I point out AGAIN that the doctrine of Immaculate Conception has no relation to the conception and birth of Christ. It is His mother, Mary whose conception was considered "immaculate" (only from the 19th century onwards, due to the visions of St Bernadette Soubirous)). Mary's conception to Elizabeth was immaculate as she was conceived without the taint of original sin (not without sexual intercourse) in order to be a suitable vessel for Christ. Jesus is both wholly human and wholly divine in one person, conceived by the action of the Holy Spirit on His mother.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
You may point it out but according to wiki...

In Christian theology, the Immaculate Conception is the conception of the Virgin Mary free from original sin by virtue of the merits of her son Jesus. The Catholic Church teaches that God acted upon Mary in the first moment of her conception, keeping her "immaculate".
How does this not involve Jesus?

In the absence of further evidence to the contrary... and given no trace of any such song (even though, as mentioned, someone recalls her Granny singing it...), I believe you may be shockingly close to the truth here.

One response to my inherent query to the Scots Language forum - they have close to 5,000 subscribers, so if they've all never come across a related song, seems the following conclusion is reasonable:

"I think it's mibbes jist a bit of nonsense. Nae meaning ataw. But it gets folk wunnering!".

Well done, sir.

Duly awarded one of Scotland's finest honours, 'A pat on the heid and a Mars bar'.

Deep fried, of course...

Some good detective work there, but it does look like the mystery must be laid to rest.

I wonder if the song / rhyme might be something peculiar to Kiernan's immediate family and he just dropped it in while semi-improvising in readthroughs / rehearsals?

I doubt we'll ever know.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Had a couple of interviews come up in the last week with large food manufacturers, one of them owns a number of household name brands, I always research prospective employers on companies house and have a look at their last set of accounts.

One has made 32million losses in the last year they filed which is worse than the year before, the other has made the UK company dormant while their US parent company picks up their losses.

Apparent reason is rising raw material costs while buying power of supermarkets is holding prices down.

Quite disturbing when you get into thinking about it, our zombie economy, where an awful lot of what we eat isn't actually viable to make for any length of time. Something has to give there.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Fucking great ..

Three bottles of vodka have gone missing within the last three days from the Mrs's work place, her boss has just sent her a pm asking if she has any ideas where they could be. I don't think he's accusing her or anything, the place has been back open to the public for the last three days so other staff have been there .. the only thing is, she phoned me last night because the place was dead so I popped down to see her for about 20 minutes. Unless these bottles have been put somewhere else, I've got a couple of gut instinct ideas about who could have nicked them. Her boss doesn't know I popped in last night, I've told the Mrs that if he asks she's to tell him I did. I'm paranoid now they might think it was me even though it wasn't :mad:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Fucking great ..

Three bottles of vodka have gone missing within the last three days from the Mrs's work place, her boss has just sent her a pm asking if she has any ideas where they could be. I don't think he's accusing her or anything, the place has been back open to the public for the last three days so other staff have been there .. the only thing is, she phoned me last night because the place was dead so I popped down to see her for about 20 minutes. Unless these bottles have been put somewhere else, I've got a couple of gut instinct ideas about who could have nicked them. Her boss doesn't know I popped in last night, I've told the Mrs that if he asks she's to tell him I did. I'm paranoid now they might think it was me even though it wasn't :mad:
I so hate shit like that. :O Worst thing about a thief is every bugger ends up being a suspect.

frankiefelix

Junior Acolyte
You may point it out but according to wiki...

How does this not involve Jesus?
I didn't say it didn't involve Jesus. Jesus was conceived by Mary via the Holy Spirit while she remained virgin. BUT Jesus' conception is NOT The Immaculate Conception - it was a conception by the Holy Spirit upon a human woman. The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception is the belief that Mary herself was conceived "immaculate" to her parents Joachim and Anne, i.e. without the stain of human sin and is the only human being to have been so conceived. So Mary may be referred to as "Immacuate Conception" as one of her titles; Bernadette Soubirous, later St Bernadette of Lourdes, told her interrogators that her vision of Mary told her this, saying, "I am the Immaculate Conception". The phrase does not refer to Jesus' own conception, although people often assume it does.

Swifty

I so hate shit like that. :O Worst thing about a thief is every bugger ends up being a suspect.
Yep .. I used to work for my Dad as an accounts clerk in the early 90's, everyone was on edge when we were told money was missing from the safe including me because I knew the safe code. They caught the culprit in the end but I can still remember getting back home one day and saying to my Dad "I've no idea who's robbing from your safe but I promise you that when you find out, it isn't going to be me." .. it's a horrible atmosphere to work in.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Danish company is selling 'used' tissues which "allow people to get sick on their terms."

On its website, Vaev wrote: “We believe that when flu season comes around, you should be able to get sick on your terms.

the tissues are treated with organic ingredients that 'work hand-in-hand with your human body to keep your immune system feeling like your immune system.'

While you might think that a used tissue would be cheap, it’s actually the complete opposite.

Vaev charges a staggering $80 for them - and they’re currently sold out
The Mirror has helpfully provided a photo - 'sick woman in bed with a cold'.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Yep .. I used to work for my Dad as an accounts clerk in the early 90's, everyone was on edge when we were told money was missing from the safe including me because I knew the safe code. They caught the culprit in the end but I can still remember getting back home one day and saying to my Dad "I've no idea who's robbing from your safe but I promise you that when you find out, it isn't going to be me." .. it's a horrible atmosphere to work in.
Had it happen as a teenager when I had a bar job, barmaid's partner was a taxi driver and he'd stashed his takings in our back room one night when they went missing, I didn't know until the next night and just happened to have bought some new trainers and a jacket that day... might as well have just shot myself in the face and been done with it. She made life shit as hell for me after that. :(

Swifty

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Bernadette Soubirous, later St Bernadette of Lourdes, told her interrogators that her vision of Mary told her this, saying, "I am the Immaculate Conception". The phrase does not refer to Jesus' own conception, although people often assume it does.
Unified Old Catholic saying "hear hear!" :D

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Danish company is selling 'used' tissues which "allow people to get sick on their terms."
Reminds me of the Chicken Pox and Measles parties which were a fad in my childhood - and are still popular amongst teh anti-vax movement :(

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Them boobies are far too big, she gonna have back problems, and what is wrong with her voice, and how did colouring her skin make her eyes go brown *scratches head* And do they do teal :D I may look a tad like a smurf but i will have cool eyes

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Them boobies are far too big, she gonna have back problems, and what is wrong with her voice, and how did colouring her skin make her eyes go brown *scratches head* And do they do teal :D I may look a tad like a smurf but i will have cool eyes
Her voice is foreign.
The skin colouring injections affected her eyes--and her brain, I'd conjecture.

Swifty

I used to know a bloke exactly like him, he even looked like him. He owned a junk shop in Burton On Trent and after we got to know each other, he cheerfully told me he was an adult baby in his spare time .. wearing nappies, being changed and bottle fed, the full works. You wouldn't have guessed it to look at him, he was a very soft natured and amiable bloke. Weird but I suppose he wasn't harming anybody at the end of the day.