Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Yep, just £50 round these parts - but it only has to be somewhere in the house that isn't within arm's reach of the sickbed. What it will be after Brexit (now rescheduled to when continental Europe is wiped out by an asteroid) I cannot say.

We're on the same page except you excluded that part from my post when quoting me Ogred where I also wrote that people (let's not be politically correct here, it is mostly men) abuse positions of power through sexuality .. no arguments from me there : "some wealthy men in positions of power act like teenage boys" is the bit you left out that I wrote that you've somehow left out. I'm not a rape or sexual assault apologist, abuse on this level is real and so is people playing on the fear of abuse in our current times to falsely claim they've been abused. The authorities will hopefully do their jobs properly and find out the truth and justice will be done.
Sorry Swifty, I didn't mean to accuse you of being a rape apologist, I'd have made a better attempt at what I said if I wasn't drunk. People this is why you shouldn't PUI.

I ignored "some wealthy men in positions of power act like teenage boys" as I was focusing more on the "wealthy men being targeted" part, and it didn't seem like the phrase: "some wealthy men in positions of power act like teenage boys" was fully acknowledging the seriousness of the situation to my (admittedly addled) brain at that point. That said, in the sober light of a few days removed it still reads a little as sounding a little trivial. I appreciate that that is not what you were saying or doing but that's my reaction, comparing adult men's behaviour to teenage boys could have all sorts of meanings. I have read and heard comments defending men accused of rape along the lines of "boys will be boys", God knows what that's supposed to mean.

There are limits to a text only medium, especially where people have never met and it's very easy to only half say what you mean, or express something with irony, or believe you've imbued something with full nuance, only to find you haven't. I feel like it happens to me almost every time I've made a longer or more "serious" post, it's also hard to anticipate other people's reactions to anything you write. I'm not trying to say "my interpretation is right and yours is wrong" or any thing like that, just that posting on forums is a bit fraught. Which is why I often keep things to knob based puns and innuendo, my only area of expertise. I hope I've expressed myself properly here but have the nagging feeling I haven't and that's on me, not anyone else.

I'm sorry to hear that you were falsely accused of rape, it's a serious problem and it undermines the experiences of those who have actually been assaulted or abused. I also agree with your point of taking anyone who makes accusations seriously, at least until any facts can be determined. A friend's ex was recently accused and the accuser quickly backed down, I don't think she was charged - as she should have been and he still had to spend many hours, mostly overnight, at the police station.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
That's the trouble with text, you read it your way and probably not as the poster intended, it happens quite a bit.
And I was talking about this with a friend of mine, the women who accuse men falsely of rape should be prosecuted, I can see why some would not want that as it would put any genuine rape victim off coming forward for fear of being not believed, these fecking stupid women who accuse men falsely of it probably do not give a damn that they are hurting the genuine victims here, they do not care cause they are only bothered about themselves, when it is established that their accusation is false beyond a doubt then to prison they must go, I would hate to go thro what Swifty did, what happened to him was a form of abuse because of this woman *spits*

That's the trouble with text, you read it your way and probably not as the poster intended, it happens quite a bit.
And I was talking about this with a friend of mine, the women who accuse men falsely of rape should be prosecuted, I can see why some would not want that as it would put any genuine rape victim off coming forward for fear of being not believed, these fecking stupid women who accuse men falsely of it probably do not give a damn that they are hurting the genuine victims here, they do not care cause they are only bothered about themselves, when it is established that their accusation is false beyond a doubt then to prison they must go, I would hate to go thro what Swifty did, what happened to him was a form of abuse because of this woman *spits*
I think charging but not prosecuting them and putting them through the stress of that might be suitable in some cases: they get a taste of what they put an innocent person through (which will hopefully dissuade them from doing it again), the courts aren't clogged up with these cases and it doesn't send the wrong signals to genuine victims or society at large. That said, I have no idea what amount of time a charge with intention of prosecution might take up for the police, they must happen from time to time though.

No offense take Ogred mate, it's a very difficult subject for everyone to talk about and I hope your mates OK now (or as OK as can be expected), please send him my regards. And thanks for your post Shady X
Thanks Swifty, I only know him very vaguely. He's my friend's ex who I think is not really fully an "ex"; the woman who accused him was his then current "girlfriend", though it wasn't much of a relationship had she basically been verbally abusive to him for a long time and he was a doormat who put up with it. I think he's fine now.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I think charging but not prosecuting them and putting them through the stress of that...

That said, I have no idea what amount of time a charge with intention of prosecution might take up for the police,...
a) It wouldn’t be very stressful to undergo a process that you knew would end up going nowhere.

b) A lot.

maximus otter

a) It wouldn’t be very stressful to undergo a process that you knew would end up going nowhere.

b) A lot.

maximus otter
a) How would they know it was going nowhere? In my cunning plan, more cunning than Cunning Cunny McCunning winner of last year's Cunningest Cunner of Cunningsville, the police wouldn't actually say to the false accuser: "we are going to charge and question you without it going further, so get comfortable".

b) Fair enough

hunck

Justified & Ancient
So what is the 'Flu Test' these days ? It used to be £50 in an envelope stuck to a post in the middle of a field next to your house - all you had to do to get the money was roll out of bed and grab the envelope (If you got out of bed - it wasn't flu). Would £85.00 be tempting enough ?
I read it as a way of getting time off work, though why you'd voluntarily get a cold or flu when you could just lie I don't know.

Appeals to the ethical lead-swinger whose conscience won't allow them to take time off without actually being sick.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

b) A lot.

maximus otter
Maybe they could be charged with 'wasting police time' and they should be made to pay for some proportion of the court's costs, state's costs and the costs of the falsely accused?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Maybe they could be charged with 'wasting police time' and they should be made to pay for some proportion of the court's costs, state's costs and the costs of the falsely accused?
In my case, I'd have agreed to that .. not enough to ruin the person's life or anything but enough to have what they did recorded somewhere .