• Hello everyone, we will rebooting the web server on Sunday February 17th 2019 at 1800 (6pm) GMT / 1300 (1pm) EST to apply some server updates.

We will also be applying some updates to the forums software.

This will result in approximately 30 minutes of downtime

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Don't know about WTF about the weather, but I live by Chicago and it's damn cold the last few days.......was -20 yesterday...normal air temp btw, and it's about -12 right now...the windchill's are about -30.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Case of mistaken identity leads sister to withdraw life support for a man who wasn't her brother, lawsuit claims
By Laura Ly, CNN​
Updated 0235 GMT (1035 HKT) January 30, 2019​
(CNN) For nearly two weeks, Shirell Powell stood vigil over her brother's bedside in a New York hospital, believing there was nothing more doctors could do to save him.
She was told he was brain-dead -- the result of a narcotics overdose -- so in late July 2018, a grieving Powell gave her permission to take him off life support and her brother was pronounced dead.
A couple of weeks later, Powell was notified that the man she was about to lay to rest was someone with a similar name, Freddy Clarence Williams. Her brother, 40-year-old Frederick Williams, was very much alive.

Full Story (still too many questions unanswered):
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/29/us/mistaken-identity-hospital-bronx-trnd/index.html

And she's just pulled the plug on a stranger!

:panda::panda::panda:
Does that mean she's guilty of murder, or the hospital is facing a manslaughter charge?
How the hell did she fail to realise it wasn't her brother?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... How the hell did she fail to realise it wasn't her brother?
Check the full news story ...

Powell's attorney, Alexander Dudelson, said the man she believed to be her brother was swollen and was wrapped in a neck brace and tubes at the hospital, altering his appearance. Both Powell and several members of her family believed the man was their relative, he said.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Does that mean she's guilty of murder, or the hospital is facing a manslaughter charge?
Based on the alleged facts (admittedly filtered through Ms. Powell's attorney) I'd say the hospital is facing sizable civil, regulatory, and perhaps even criminal liability for the incident.

The clear origin of the mistaken ID has to be ascribed to the hospital, who somehow crossed up the records for the deceased and Ms. Powell's brother (who'd formerly been a patient there). The article indicates the hospital records included each man's full name and Social Security number (neither of which matched the other).

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Fucking great ..

Three bottles of vodka have gone missing within the last three days from the Mrs's work place, her boss has just sent her a pm asking if she has any ideas where they could be. I don't think he's accusing her or anything, the place has been back open to the public for the last three days so other staff have been there .. the only thing is, she phoned me last night because the place was dead so I popped down to see her for about 20 minutes. Unless these bottles have been put somewhere else, I've got a couple of gut instinct ideas about who could have nicked them. Her boss doesn't know I popped in last night, I've told the Mrs that if he asks she's to tell him I did. I'm paranoid now they might think it was me even though it wasn't :mad:
Quoting myself but an update ..

The Mrs has sussed out who robbed the vodka, that person's lifted another bottle today within a ten minute time frame of her seeing two bottles and then one .. that person was also around when the last three went missing, I expect the person will lose their job over it although the owners are very kind people so they might not. At least I'm in the clear of any suspicion now. That person's obviously got problems, a hidden camera was installed after the last three went missing :( .. and the world keeps turning.

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
Son, 27, 'wants to sue his parents because he didn't CONSENT to being born'
Raphael Samuel is reportedly planning on taking legal action against his parents in Mumbai, India

By
Danya Bazaraa
  • 13:47, 4 FEB 2019
  • UPDATED19:15, 4 FEB 2019

MAN 'TO SUE HIS PARENTS FOR GIVING BIRTH TO HIM'

Get Daily updates directly to your inbox
Subscribe
See our privacy noticeMore newsletters
A 27-year-old man plans to sue his parents because they did not ask for his consent to bring him into the world, it is reported.
Raphael Samuel, from Mumbai, India, is reportedly part of a so-called 'child-free' advocate who believes children shouldn't be made to suffer life.
He has been described as an 'anti-natalist' who thinks parents don't have the right to give birth if a child has not agreed to being born.
And he is planning on taking legal action against his own parents for giving birth to him without his permission, Times Now News reports.
etc
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/weird-news/man-27-plans-to-sue-13950715

Crankyoldgit62

Junior Acolyte
This cough I caught somewhere,is my WTF? moment for me. Can't sleep too well and feel like I'm coughing me lungs up, that and a sore throat. Glad I'm on my rest days!!!!

Cats are cute in zero G, dogs are more fun:

A spoilsport writes:

That's funny, but any loose objects in the cockpit are a huge no-no, especially when doing aerobatics. Having an unsecured dog in the cabin is unbelievably irresponsible.

I hope the animal was provided with some kind of protection for its very sensitive ears.

Kev

Junior Acolyte