Things That Make You Go... WTF?

How to turn a 4-minute commuter flight into a 2-minute catastrophe? Just let a teenager sit up front ...

SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/767d4d69fe3b4cc1bfa674911fa8fcd5
It's possible the pilot didn't brief the SLF ('self-loading freight') very well, but nevertheless the boy's clearly an idiot and as there's no way to administer IQ tests to passengers before flight I'm afraid this kind of incident is going to happen, if very rarely.

I read somewhere that the usual advice to incapacitate someone fiddling with the co-pilot's controls is to quickly smash them in the face with one's right elbow, as turning round to throw a left-handed punch in a small cockpit whilst trying to rest back control of the aircraft is both dangerous and ineffective. The lad should think himself lucky this didn't happen.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Thought it was an Aeroflot Flight 593 job, where the pilot let his teenage son sit at the controls and then was killed with all on board when it crashed after Sonny disengaged the autopilot.
I remember this happening. Just imagine being one of the family members of the victims knowing that your loved one died due to sheer stupidity not by one, but by two idiots.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I saw jeans today which were advertised as 'carrot fit'.
Anyone know what the hell carrot fit is?
According to the Urban Dictionary:
Trousers made for people with humongous booty and very thin legs
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Carrot fit

Loose With A Slight Drop Crotch, They Sit Low On The Hips For An Extremely Comfortable Fit.
https://www.amiparis.com/us/shopping/carrot-fit-trousers-11186666

Their modern and trendy fit makes these models a bit wider on the hips and thighs and then become tighter on the legs. The unusual carrot shape, then, flatters any shape, providing a sleek and trendy look for anyone who wants to look perfect in every situation.
https://www.morato.it/res/jeans/carrott-fit.html

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
According to the Urban Dictionary:
Thanks for that! :D

I now have the feeling they've been making carrot fit trousers for a while before they've actually started using that term - I've found over the last few years that trousers seem to be made to be tighter round the calves these days!

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Thanks for that! :D

I now have the feeling they've been making carrot fit trousers for a while before they've actually started using that term - I've found over the last few years that trousers seem to be made to be tighter round the calves these days!
Or perhaps your calves are just getting bigger? Carrot Fit Trousers may as well be called Utter Wanker Trousers!

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Or perhaps your calves are just getting bigger? Carrot Fit Trousers may as well be called Utter Wanker Trousers!
While we're on the subject of trouserial idiocy, what is the deal with hipsters wearing trousers that are clearly two inches too short? Is it just cos they want to show off their trendy polka dot socks?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
While we're on the subject of trouserial idiocy, what is the deal with hipsters wearing trousers that are clearly two inches too short? Is it just cos they want to show off their trendy polka dot socks?
Jeans' and casual slacks' leg lengths are among the few features manufacturers can manipulate to delimit and exploit fashion trends and promote sales by shifting 'in' styles from time to time.

In the 1950's and early 1960's the 'look' was relatively short, with or without rolled-up hems. In the late 60's into the 70's the length was longer with the bells and flares. And so on ...

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
A video which is just some good fun and thought maybe worth a mention:

The closing sequence, when guy is told who had a crush on him...

...and he seemingly never knew...

'Aw man, seriously... :wtf:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I seem to have just discovered the Gay Bigfoot meme... had no idea it had got that much traction! Google image search goes on for bloody pages.

Not sure if this story was the start of it or just a cash in.

I wish to know more of the long tongued couple and what became of them after their divorce.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
On Saturday outside Tesco a man in a bit of a sorry state asked me "can I ask you a question?" I couldn't work out at first what the question was but he was obviously after some money. He said he'd just got out of prison 'on life parole' or somesuch after 19 years inside. I eventually twigged that what he was asking me was to tap out a tenner from the cash machine & he'd give me all the change he'd collected - a motley handful of shrapnel amounting to about 7 quid, so he could get an oyster card to get him somewhere.

I said no, sorry I'm not doing that but gave him all the change I had - probably about a couple of quid in various change.

I asked him what he was inside for - he said his little sister was raped & he'd murdered the guy.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Any instinct as to whether this was true?
Not really - could've been a cock & bull story but I could believe he'd just been released from prison. Would you just make up something like that?..

..I suppose what I'm saying is my inclination would be to believe it.

Last edited:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Got up this morning to find this dumped on the step at the end of my garden path.

With cat for scale.

Best guess is stolen then dumped when they unboxed and decided it wasn't as nice as they'd though... dunno though.

Tried reporting it on the local fuzz 101 Livechat where I gave up after I figured out it wasn't actually live, operator had buggered off.

Still not sure what to do with it, brought it inside so it didn't get rained on.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Got up this morning to find this dumped on the step at the end of my garden path.

With cat for scale.

Best guess is stolen then dumped when they unboxed and decided it wasn't as nice as they'd though... dunno though.

Tried reporting it on the local fuzz 101 Livechat where I gave up after I figured out it wasn't actually live, operator had buggered off.

Still not sure what to do with it, brought it inside so it didn't get rained on.
Charity shop if it's in good nick, though the won't take the lovely-looking little lynx on the right...

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Police don't deal with lost/found property nowadays so unless it's been reported stolen they won't be interested. What is it, an audio player of some sort?

EDIT Just zoomed in. A bargain basement record player....chazza shop!

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
A house near my own has stood empty for the last few years since the owner died. There's a temporary fence put up to stop people getting in after the place was vandalised (tiles missing, widows broken, etc). As I waited across the road this morning for the bus to take me to work, I saw a car pull up, a lady get out and stick a little bit of plastic onto the fence, so when I arrived home this afternoon, I checked to see what it was. A business card for timber floor restorations - this house needs more than its floors restored, it needs knocking down! I don't know why anyone would think that house needs restoration when it is clearly in need of demolition! Wishful thinking on the part of the company...