• Hello everyone, we will rebooting the web server on Sunday February 17th 2019 at 1800 (6pm) GMT / 1300 (1pm) EST to apply some server updates.

We will also be applying some updates to the forums software.

This will result in approximately 30 minutes of downtime

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
How to turn a 4-minute commuter flight into a 2-minute catastrophe? Just let a teenager sit up front ...
Troopers: Teen arrested for taking control of Alaska flight
A 16-year-old boy was arrested after he briefly took control of a small plane during a short commercial flight over western Alaska, authorities said.

The teen was in the front passenger seat of the Piper Cherokee Six on a recent Yute Commuter Service flight from Napakiak to Bethel ...

The flight between the two remote communities usually takes about four minutes.

The teen grabbed the aircraft controls shortly after takeoff, causing the “plane to enter a steep climb and then a dive toward the ground,” Alaska State Troopers said.

A woman sitting behind the teen grabbed him around the neck, pulling him away from the controls, authorities said. The pilot stabilized the aircraft and returned to Napakiak.

An agent for the regional airline contacted the village public safety officer to detain the teen. He slipped away before the officer could take him into custody, but was arrested the next day in Bethel. ...

Interfering with the duties of a flight crew is a federal offence.

The aircraft model used in this flight does not have a mechanism to lock out passenger flight controls, said Keith Henthorn, the airline’s business manager.

The airline will continue to allow passengers to sit in the front seat, he said.
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/767d4d69fe3b4cc1bfa674911fa8fcd5

How to turn a 4-minute commuter flight into a 2-minute catastrophe? Just let a teenager sit up front ...

SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/767d4d69fe3b4cc1bfa674911fa8fcd5
It's possible the pilot didn't brief the SLF ('self-loading freight') very well, but nevertheless the boy's clearly an idiot and as there's no way to administer IQ tests to passengers before flight I'm afraid this kind of incident is going to happen, if very rarely.

I read somewhere that the usual advice to incapacitate someone fiddling with the co-pilot's controls is to quickly smash them in the face with one's right elbow, as turning round to throw a left-handed punch in a small cockpit whilst trying to rest back control of the aircraft is both dangerous and ineffective. The lad should think himself lucky this didn't happen.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
Thought it was an Aeroflot Flight 593 job, where the pilot let his teenage son sit at the controls and then was killed with all on board when it crashed after Sonny disengaged the autopilot.
I remember this happening. Just imagine being one of the family members of the victims knowing that your loved one died due to sheer stupidity not by one, but by two idiots.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
I saw jeans today which were advertised as 'carrot fit'.
Anyone know what the hell carrot fit is?
According to the Urban Dictionary:
Trousers made for people with humongous booty and very thin legs
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Carrot fit

Loose With A Slight Drop Crotch, They Sit Low On The Hips For An Extremely Comfortable Fit.
https://www.amiparis.com/us/shopping/carrot-fit-trousers-11186666

Their modern and trendy fit makes these models a bit wider on the hips and thighs and then become tighter on the legs. The unusual carrot shape, then, flatters any shape, providing a sleek and trendy look for anyone who wants to look perfect in every situation.
https://www.morato.it/res/jeans/carrott-fit.html

Kryptonite

Seeker of truth, drinker of tea.
According to the Urban Dictionary:
Thanks for that! :D

I now have the feeling they've been making carrot fit trousers for a while before they've actually started using that term - I've found over the last few years that trousers seem to be made to be tighter round the calves these days!

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Thanks for that! :D

I now have the feeling they've been making carrot fit trousers for a while before they've actually started using that term - I've found over the last few years that trousers seem to be made to be tighter round the calves these days!
Or perhaps your calves are just getting bigger? Carrot Fit Trousers may as well be called Utter Wanker Trousers!

Kryptonite

Seeker of truth, drinker of tea.
Or perhaps your calves are just getting bigger? Carrot Fit Trousers may as well be called Utter Wanker Trousers!
While we're on the subject of trouserial idiocy, what is the deal with hipsters wearing trousers that are clearly two inches too short? Is it just cos they want to show off their trendy polka dot socks?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
While we're on the subject of trouserial idiocy, what is the deal with hipsters wearing trousers that are clearly two inches too short? Is it just cos they want to show off their trendy polka dot socks?
Jeans' and casual slacks' leg lengths are among the few features manufacturers can manipulate to delimit and exploit fashion trends and promote sales by shifting 'in' styles from time to time.

In the 1950's and early 1960's the 'look' was relatively short, with or without rolled-up hems. In the late 60's into the 70's the length was longer with the bells and flares. And so on ...