Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Being a huge fan of the Evil Dead series as well as other random zombie films, I was heartbroken to learn via a youtube video made by some other nerds that chainsaws are in fact instead useless in attacking humans if the humans, zombie or otherwise, are wearing clothes .. fabric causes spinning chainsaw blades to snag and jam shutting them down.

As sexy as the idea is of taking a zombie down with a chainsaw sounds, it just doesn't work unless the zombie is topless.
They're zombies. Go for the head.

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
I just heard that a cousin had died suddenly earlier today. Apart from it being a shock the real WTF moment was how my 89 year old mum received the news.

My cousin’s wife wanted my mum to be told personally so his brother and mother-in-law set off to my mum’s house to break the news. As soon as they left, my cousin’s idiot sister, who had been told, in no uncertain terms, NOT to phone my mum, phoned her.

Now that was bad enough but she went right off the WTF scale in the way she told my mum.

“Hiya, have you heard about Bob?”

“No,”

“Well, he’s dead!”

We're bloody furious at her stupidity, my mother said she nearly fainted when she heard and is very upset.

This cousin isn’t known for her intelligence at the best of times but to behave like that is beyond stupid and she can’t see anything wrong with what she did.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I never saw this one before! ...
Neither had I ... More surprising is the fact this sort of 'goat-backpack' motif isn't unique ... Here's an image excerpted from a YouTube video. It apparently shows a scene in Haiti.

hqdefault.jpg

YouTube Video: ******* youtube.com/watch?v=fEWmVBsfLl4

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
The limbs are linked together I suppose? I can't imagine telling them to hold on tight works!
That's what I'm thinking, too. If I'm not mistaken I've seen photos of sheep or goats with their legs tied together and carried like a satchel over the shoulder (with the legs serving as the strap).

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I just heard that a cousin had died suddenly earlier today. Apart from it being a shock the real WTF moment was how my 89 year old mum received the news.

My cousin’s wife wanted my mum to be told personally so his brother and mother-in-law set off to my mum’s house to break the news. As soon as they left, my cousin’s idiot sister, who had been told, in no uncertain terms, NOT to phone my mum, phoned her.

Now that was bad enough but she went right off the WTF scale in the way she told my mum.

“No,”

“Well, he’s dead!”

We're bloody furious at her stupidity, my mother said she nearly fainted when she heard and is very upset.

This cousin isn’t known for her intelligence at the best of times but to behave like that is beyond stupid and she can’t see anything wrong with what she did.
Sorry to hear about your cousin mate X

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

“No,”

“Well, he’s dead!”

My condolences, Bigphoot.

Family: you can't murder them and you didn't choose them.

escargot

Beloved of Ra

“No,”

“Well, he’s dead!”

Sorry for you family's loss, Mate.

Similar happened in my own family some years back. A young and much-loved relation, D, died suddenly while his uncle M was working away. The family agreed to choose a time to break the news to M as he would be driving home alone a long way and would need time to compose himself.

However, the minute everyone else was out of the room D's grandfather/M's father rang M on his mobile and said 'Hello M, I thought you should know D's dead. It was *** *****.'
This was 10 minutes before M was due to direct a crane which was lifting a derailed locomotive. Could have dropped it on someone's head.

Granddad wanted to be The One to give the news, because he was SO important.
What a twat. The family never forgave him till the day he died.

Neither had I ... More surprising is the fact this sort of 'goat-backpack' motif isn't unique ... Here's an image excerpted from a YouTube video. It apparently shows a scene in Haiti.

YouTube Video: ******* youtube.com/watch?v=fEWmVBsfLl4
The Nanny State will say this is unsafe.

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
From my experience, carrying livestock in innovative ways is par for the course in some locales.

I recall hearing a strange sound coming from an alley in Kathmandu. I paused sipping my chai and stuck my head out to look for the possible source of the noise. I saw a small boy wheeling a large bicycle towards me with what looked like red and white shopping bags hanging from the handlebars. The strange noise became louder as the boy and bicycle grew closer and it was then that I realised exactly what I was seeing. Hanging from the handlebars were 8 white chickens, tied by their legs and upside down. As the boy pushed, the front wheel turned and the chicken's heads were pulled into the front forks by the slowly rotating spokes, causing them to scream so very strangely and spurt blood which splattered them red.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
From my experience, carrying livestock in innovative ways is par for the course in some locales.

I recall hearing a strange sound coming from an alley in Kathmandu. I paused sipping my chai and stuck my head out to look for the possible source of the noise. I saw small boy wheeling a large bicycle towards me with what looked like red and white shopping bags hanging from the handlebars. The strange noise became louder as the boy and bicycle grew closer and it was then that I realised exactly what I was seeing. Hanging from the handlebars were 8 white chickens, tied by their legs and upside down. As the boy pushed, the front wheel turned and the chicken's heads were pulled into the front forks by the slowly rotating spokes, causing them to scream so very strangely and spurt blood which splattered them red.
How awful!

Swifty

Similar happened in my own family some years back. A young and much-loved relation, D, died suddenly while his uncle M was working away. The family agreed to choose a time to break the news to M as he would be driving home alone a long way and would need time to compose himself.

However, the minute everyone else was out of the room D's grandfather/M's father rang M on his mobile and said 'Hello M, I thought you should know D's dead. It was *** *****.'
This was 10 minutes before M was due to direct a crane which was lifting a derailed locomotive. Could have dropped it on someone's head.

When I was sent to a pub function room in Norwich to finally earn my personal licence, the lecturer was fantastic .. during our first break though, two women sidled over to me and told me his Dad had just died. Mobile phone call he'd received and then he'd just told them, The circumstances were that his Dad was driving at the time which is normally a comedy routine but this time it was real and not funny.

He stood there looking understandably haunted, there wasn't really much I felt I could do other than go over to him and tell him I was sorry to have heard about his bad news and that if he needed to instead bail on us and go home instead, I'd totally understand.

He didn't though, he continued to train us. That must have been so hard for him to do that there and then. I got my personal license.

That was depressing ..

here's a tune to cheer everyone up

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation

This cousin is something else - no common sense, as thick as two short planks, no self-awareness and no consideration for others. She was even late for her father's funeral ("Oh I slept in" followed by her usual moronic giggle). Then during the service her phone went off. A normal person would apologise and turn it off (or not have it on in the first place) - not her, she answered it and started a conversation until someone snatched it from her.

Swifty

This cousin is something else - no common sense, as thick as two short planks, no self-awareness and no consideration for others. She was even late for her father's funeral ("Oh I slept in" followed by her usual moronic giggle). Then during the service her phone went off. A normal person would apologise and turn it off (or not have it on in the first place) - not her, she answered it and started a conversation until someone snatched it from her.
From your description, she reminds me of that teenager in the funeral scene of Clint Eastwood's 'Gran Torino' :mad:

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
What's really upsetting is that the cousin who died, had two brothers and two sisters and they are all almost as bad as she is - in their 50's now and been avoiding work ever since they left school. He was the exact opposite - had milk rounds, paper rounds, weekend jobs when he was a kid and went straight into work when he left school, attended night classes and college and did really well for himself.

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
What's really upsetting is that the cousin who died, had two brothers and two sisters and they are all almost as bad as she is - in their 50's now and been avoiding work ever since they left school. He was the exact opposite - had milk rounds, paper rounds, weekend jobs when he was a kid and went straight into work when he left school, attended night classes and college and did really well for himself.
Not to be devil's advocate but perhaps there is something more going on? Could this be a family that shares a mental/social disorder?

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
Not to be devil's advocate but perhaps there is something more going on? Could this be a family that shares a mental/social disorder?
Not really, their parents were just as bad. Unlike the rest of the family (6 brothers and a sister) their father was unreliable and lazy. It was a family joke that their father's only job was national service. His attitude was always "why work when I can get paid for doing nothing?" The cousin who died was brought up by my grandparents until he was about 10, so I think he avoided the bad influence in his early days.

Interestingly their kids are the opposite too - the four of them have six kids between them and they are either working or at uni.

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
Not really, their parents were just as bad. Unlike the rest of the family (6 brothers and a sister) their father was unreliable and lazy. It was a family joke that their father's only job was national service. His attitude was always "why work when I can get paid for doing nothing?" The cousin who died was brought up by my grandparents until he was about 10, so I think he avoided the bad influence in his early days.

Interestingly their kids are the opposite too - the four of them have six kids between them and they are either working or at uni.
That is interesting, I find that character traits tend to be shared by alternate generations. So perhaps the kids will have children like their parents.

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
That is interesting, I find that character traits tend to be shared by alternate generations. So perhaps the kids will have children like their parents.
One thing I noticed in my family is that my generation never smoked, not one of us. Yet the previous lot did and some of the younger ones do. We reckoned it was due to family gatherings in my grandparent's house where there would be about twenty people, all puffing away so much you could barely see the other side of the room and us kids would be making an escape with our eyes streaming. Put us off smoking for life.

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
One thing I noticed in my family is that my generation never smoked, not one of us. Yet the previous lot did and some of the younger ones do. We reckoned it was due to family gatherings in my grandparent's house where there would be about twenty people, all puffing away so much you could barely see the other side of the room and us kids would be making an escape with our eyes streaming. Put us off smoking for life.
I had a similar experience of family gatherings full of heavy smokers and it put me off smoking until i was in my mid-twenties, India is where I picked up the habit. All my siblings smoked as soon as they were able to but I was a staunch anti-smoker until India.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Hanging from the handlebars were 8 white chickens, tied by their legs and upside down. As the boy pushed, the front wheel turned and the chicken's heads were pulled into the front forks by the slowly rotating spokes, causing them to scream so very strangely and spurt blood which splattered them red.
Swank. We just used to clothespeg playing cards to the fork to make a motorcycle noise.

maximus otter