Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Apparently some advertising agency has just been paid nine hundred thousand pounds to 'design' this new British Telecom logo .. ffs

aBT.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-to-match-transformation-to-national-champion

.. reminds me of the time some advertising agency was paid a similar fee to design that Conservative party tree logo and then were paid another fortune to have the colour of the tree only ever so slightly changed ..

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
Apparently some advertising agency has just been paid nine hundred thousand pounds to 'design' this new British Telecom logo .. ffs

View attachment 17435

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-to-match-transformation-to-national-champion

.. reminds me of the time some advertising agency was paid a similar fee to design that Conservative party tree logo and then were paid another fortune to have the colour of the tree only ever so slightly changed ..
A case of "money for old trope"?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Well I suppose you have to have a hobby...

Someone Is Drawing Gargantuan Dongs Across Inner Melbourne Parks
If Art Attack taught us nothing else it’s that the ground is merely a giant flat canvas upon which heaving great creative works can be painted; works that look like utter garbage close up, but become stunning vistas upon zooming way out. To that end, some modern day Rembrandt has been slathering gargantuan dicks across the lawns of several inner-Melbourne parks, leaving local council officials absolutely baffled.
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/melbourne-parks-drawing-dicks/

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

View attachment 17435

They were conned.

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
Don’t know if this had been mentioned earlier in the thread but wasn’t it the Mayor of Hiroshima wha asked “WTF was that?”

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
Don’t know if this had been mentioned earlier in the thread but wasn’t it the Mayor of Hiroshima wha asked “WTF was that?”
Not even slightly amusing.

"When the United States Army Air Forces dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Senkichi Awaya (Mayor of Hiroshima) was eating breakfast with Shinobu (his son) and Ayako (his 3 year old grand-daughter). All of them are believed to have died instantly."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senkichi_Awaya

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
Not even slightly amusing.

"When the United States Army Air Forces dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Senkichi Awaya (Mayor of Hiroshima) was eating breakfast with Shinobu (his son) and Ayako (his 3 year old grand-daughter). All of them are believed to have died instantly."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senkichi_Awaya
Tell it to my late maternal grandfather, a military ambulance driver/medic who was a Japanese prisoner of war.

We all treasure his Burma Star.

Cochise

Antediluvian
Tell it to my late maternal grandfather, a military ambulance driver/medic who was a Japanese prisoner of war.

What I don't understand is why the US simply didn't lay siege to Japan. By the time they dropped the A-bombs they had destroyed the Japanese navy and air force, and given they had at their disposal the US fleet and the UK fleet freed from the war in Europe they could simply have been starved out. It still seems like a war crime to me.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Ask Enola Gay .. it's all his fault

(US military had a new toy and wanted to end the war faster)

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Not even slightly amusing
That, however, comes over as more than slightly priggish. Others probably found it distinctly amusing. You do seem to want to monitor the tone of threads - there's really no need. Just report the post and let the rather dazzling mod team deal with it.

If people overstep the line too much, it will be addressed.

Last edited:

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
What I don't understand is why the US simply didn't lay siege to Japan. By the time they dropped the A-bombs they had destroyed the Japanese navy and air force, and given they had at their disposal the US fleet and the UK fleet freed from the war in Europe they could simply have been starved out. It still seems like a war crime to me.
Was it not basically to show the Russians they had big scary bombs and weren’t afraid to use them?

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
That, however, comes over as more than slightly priggish. Others probably found it distinctly amusing You do seem to want to monitor the tone of threads - there's really no need. Just report the post and let the rather dazzling mod team deal with it.

If people overstep the line too much, it will be addressed.
If not finding genocide by atom bomb amusing makes me "slightly priggish" then so be it.

Do I have to be a moderator before I can be offended?

The "last words of the mayor of hiroshima" joke has been around for years and still isn't funny.

If, as you say, "others probably found it distinctly amusing" is not proven by the posts like count (unless you are insinuating that you found it funny?).

As for "You do seem to want to monitor the tone of threads" that seems a fantastic assumption on your part and, if you were more professional, something you would talk to me about in private.

As things stand, you have just labelled me unjustly.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Money, resources, cost of American lives. When the Americans invaded Saipan up to a 1000 civilians were ordered to kill themselves and they did.

Even starving out Japan would have resulted in mass deaths of civilians, probably more so than dropping the A bombs, (which I'm still very conflicted about).

By this time the Germans had lost the war America was already turning its attention to the Soviet Union.

Also, the Pacific campaign was brutal and I think America had just had enough.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

Yep, me too I have several relatives, (all dead sadly), who fought and ended in Jap camps. One carried Malaria for the rest of his life and suffered horribly from nightmares.

I don't though take any pleasure or gain any humour from the dropping of bombs on Japan. A country governed by an insane regime and I feel very sad for the civilians and young men of Japan who suffered.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
If not finding genocide by atom bomb amusing makes me "slightly priggish" then so be it.

Do I have to be a moderator before I can be offended?
No. We have lay-offended people too.

You're perfectly entitled to be as outraged as you wish - however, what is acceptable in terms of the context of the board - or a thread - isn't your call to make.

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
No. We have lay-offended people too.

You're perfectly entitled to be as outraged as you wish - however, what is acceptable in terms of the context of the board - or a thread - isn't your call to make.
And I never said it was and never made that call.

I found something offensive, said "Not even slightly amusing" and I provided links which were more factual.

You are assuming far too much, please stop.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
I'm not assuming anything, sunbeam :) . All I'm saying is, if you don't like something either report it or scroll on by.

Enjoy!

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
I will be very kind, and let that one go.
Stu edit - Verbal Earthworm then took a degree of exception to this. I've spoilerised his response for the easily offended.

Don't bother, I know a cunt when I meet one.

Fuck you and that massive chip on your shoulder.

Have at it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
I don't though take any pleasure or gain any humour from the dropping of bombs on Japan. A country governed by an insane regime and I feel very sad for the civilians and young men of Japan who suffered.
I make you right, war is horrible and I have a son in law and father of one of my grandchildren who has survived a tour of Iraq and subsequent four tours of Afghanistan so the potential consequences of conflict are constantly with us. However my throwaway line,which the contributor disliked, came from a humorous (to me) tee-shirt from the late seventies or early eighties which listed the top ten F***s in history. You can find them, along with some later additions at http://www.theparticle.com/fun/fun.php?topic=adult&id=38

I do find it increasingly difficult that some people these days cannot understand something is intended in humour without getting on their high horse and having a hissy fit. Political correctness again. I was born to parents who lived through the war, my mother was evacuated at the age of 8 and spent most of the war years separated from her London based family. Her father was a Japanese POW, but throughout the war, and always at times of adversity you will find a vein of black humour. I have worked for 40 years in an industry that is extremely dangerous and we have a number of fatalities every year however we laugh and joke in a black humour way because it is how people cope. It’s called resilience in the face of adversity.