Things That Make You Go... WTF?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why the US simply didn't lay siege to Japan. ...
The cursory answer is that a protracted siege / blockade would have cost much time, much cost, and much risk to the predominantly naval and air personnel involved.

As of July 1945 the Japanese army and navy still had circa 10,000 aircraft suitable for kamikaze use.

The IJN still had 46 operational (full-size) submarines.

In addition, Japan had about 100 Kōryū-class midget submarines, 300 smaller Kairyū-class midget submarines, 120 Kaiten manned torpedoes, and 2,412 Shin'yō suicide boats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall#Operation_Ketsugō

These and other assets would have been thrown at a blockading / besieging force the same way they were being planned to be thrown at a landing force.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
The cursory answer is that a protracted siege / blockade would have cost much time, much cost, and much risk to the predominantly naval and air personnel involved.

As of July 1945 the Japanese army and navy still had circa 10,000 aircraft suitable for kamikaze use.

The IJN still had 46 operational (full-size) submarines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall#Operation_Ketsugō

These and other assets would have been thrown at a blockading / besieging force the same way they were being planned to be thrown at a landing force.
I suppose so. And the US has never really understood the art of blockade. I hate that the bloody things were used but maybe the upside is that people have been put off from using them again. I don't know how long that will last.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
...they would have fought fanatically island by island and for every inch of the mainland. The war would have dragged on well after 1945 and resulted in astronomical numbers of allied casualties had the bombs not been dropped.
“If the US casualty rate during the invasion of Japan had been only 5% as high per unit area as it was at Okinawa, the US would still have lost 297,000 soldiers (killed or missing).”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall#Estimated_casualties

maximus otter

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
my granddad was all for dropping the atomic bombs, he said they saved his life. (no armoured flight deck on hms campania) but the war was over before he got there.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I often find myself rolling my eyes about modern claims of chauvinism, but this shows that the real thing is alive and well!

A squash championship in northern Spain has sparked a debate about sexism in sport after female participants were awarded a vibrator, wax and a kit to remove foot calluses.
The top women players of the Asturias championship wrote to the local squash federation to complain about the incident.
It prompted resignations at the club that organised the event.
Contest winner Elisabet Sadó told the BBC that "things have to change".
Ms Sadó was awarded a trophy and a vibrator for getting the top spot in the competition.
The women in second, third and fourth places won an electronic foot file or hair removal wax.
Full Story:​

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I often find myself rolling my eyes about modern claims of chauvinism, but this shows that the real thing is alive and well!

A squash championship in northern Spain has sparked a debate about sexism in sport after female participants were awarded a vibrator, wax and a kit to remove foot calluses.
The top women players of the Asturias championship wrote to the local squash federation to complain about the incident.
Ms Sadó was awarded a trophy and a vibrator for getting the top spot in the competition.
The women in second, third and fourth places won an electronic foot file or hair removal wax.
That's just a WTF situation. Giving a sex toy away as an award?
I'm gonna say that is an example of both monumental stupidity and outright sexism.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I found out yesterday that 'Bingo wings' are a thing.

Didn't believe the lass who sits next to me at work so she googled it. :O

Don't do that. Once seen, cannot be unseen.
Sounds Ominous.
Edit: Curiosity got the better of me. You were 100% correct.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds Ominous.
Edit: Curiosity got the better of me. You were 100% correct.
I'm not going to Google it--family computer--please spill the beans.

Is this something to do with loose skin under the arms or something?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly that. They're called bingo wings because they flap when a lucky punter leaps up to wave their card and shout' House!'
Think I'll pass on the images...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
How have you guys never heard of bingo wings before? They were being referenced in jokes as least as far back as the 90s.
I think I had because I guessed the meaning at once, but if you'd described what they were and asked for the nickname, I might have come up short.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

That is one of the truly most bizarre things I've ever heard! Is this really the 21st century? That is just so surreal, still we are talking the country of Dali and Miro!

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Apparently all pc builders are white supremacist the shit Reddit says lol.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Seriously then, why on earth does anybody think that computer builders white supremacists?
Only somebody with no brain would think that.
Maybe it's because most PCs are built with pale-coloured cases?

Edit: It's because there's a thread called the PC Master Race, which is about building the best PC. [shakes head, walks away]

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Fisherman, 27, killed after large crocodile bites off his penis

Not really sure what I can add to this, however should I find myself in Zimbabwe, I shall remember never to go swimming, fishing or frankly, to get close to any water source. Not only do I not want to die by crocodile attack, I certainly do not want my dick bitten off by one, either when I'm dead or alive.

Paul Nyamhanza had been fishing with his brother Jeremiah, 19, at a farm in Beatrice, a village in Zimbabwe, yesterday.

But as the pair cast their nets, a crocodile snatched Nyamhanza in its jaws, according to local media.

Fortunately, his brother was uninjured and reported the horrific incident to Zimparks rangers.

When Nyamhanza’s body was recovered from the water, it was discovered his penis was missing and had presumably been bitten off.
https://infosurhoy.com/cocoon/saii/...ed-after-large-crocodile-bites-off-his-penis/

Last edited: