Things That Make You Go... WTF?

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
You do not put tea under your arm, she could have put the cookie there and carried the two hot drinks in her hand, jeez, lets blame everybody else for our own stupidity

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
lf only it had happened in the United States of Frivolous Lawsuits:

Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants

maximus otter
That case is actually horrific and the idea that it was frivolous is an urban myth. I think it's been discussed here before, because I know the details without checking: she received about half a million quid in the end, which given absurd U.S. healthcare costs scarcely covered her hospitalisation, surgery and two years of treatment.

She tried to settle pre-trial for a much lower sum that would solely cover what she anticipated as much lower medical cost, but McDonalds offered her a token sum and so it went to trial. Medical burns experts testified that the extra heat mandated by McDonalds over almost all other coffee-vendors made a big difference in the likelihood to inflict non-negligible burns in the time it could realistically take a clumsy/unlucky person to remove the hot water from their skin.

There are plenty of frivolous lawsuits by venal money-grabbers out there, but this wasn't one.

Third-degree burns to thighs, buttocks and genital region!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
That case is actually horrific and the idea that it was frivolous is an urban myth.

Third-degree burns to thighs, buttocks and genital region!
l take your point that the injuries were serious, however the underlying fact is that she placed a cup of what she knew was extremely hot water in her groin, then started prying off the lid.

My dream is of a world where people don’t push forks into plug sockets; not a world where, from their hospital beds, they plan lawsuits against Bigtown Electricity because their supply was running at a dangerous 240v, not a “safe” 200v.

maximus otter

Krepostnoi

really ought to be translating.
"why is it so important for you that suggestions of racism and misogyny be played down?"

Oh come on, krep! That is unfair.
I've got to say I'm relieved that that is your reaction, rather than any sentence beginning "because..." But to an extent I think the question to which you object is not entirely unfair - it came in response to this sentence that you wrote earlier:
It matters because many reports of this incident have been playing up suggestions of both racism and misogyny.
I'm willing to accept that this does not actually imply that you want such suggestions to be actively played down instead, but that is certainly one possible reading.

I don't know how much clearer I can make it that I think the misogyny lies in the legislation's attempt to impose control over women's bodies, and the racism lies in the tendency for people of colour to be arrested/charged/convicted/given harsher sentences under any given law than white people. I suspect we'll need to agree to differ on whether or not it is "farcical" to make such claims.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
l take your point that the injuries were serious, however the underlying fact is that she placed a cup of what she knew was extremely hot water in her groin, then started prying off the lid.

My dream is of a world where people don’t push forks into plug sockets; not a world where, from their hospital beds, they plan lawsuits against Bigtown Electricity because their supply was running at a dangerous 240v, not a “safe” 200v.

maximus otter
I take your point, but companies in many jurisdictions have a legal duty to anticipate the likely interactions of their customers with the goods and services they provide: in short, they have to think ahead of stupid people. It's only when the behaviour is so outrageously ridiculous that only a trifling number of highly negligent people would attempt it that they cannot be held unaccountable. I think 'drinking coffee in my car' and 'putting it between my legs to hold it upright for a few moments' are not in the category of 'bonkers' ('I microwaved my Jack Russell' after a walk in the rain), more 'poor judgment'.

Like so many things, it's about drawing the line in the correct place. Like you, I may want to shift it a few degrees north or south, but I'd kind of like to have some line, so I don't get poisoned by my sandwiches, crushed by falling billboards or electrocuted in my bath (almost happened to me, actually).

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I've got to say I'm relieved that that is your reaction, rather than any sentence beginning "because..." But to an extent I think the question to which you object is not entirely unfair - it came in response to this sentence that you wrote earlier:

I'm willing to accept that this does not actually imply that you want such suggestions to be actively played down instead, but that is certainly one possible reading.

I don't know how much clearer I can make it that I think the misogyny lies in the legislation's attempt to impose control over women's bodies, and the racism lies in the tendency for people of colour to be arrested/charged/convicted/given harsher sentences under any given law than white people. I suspect we'll need to agree to differ on whether or not it is "farcical" to make such claims.
Fair enough. Had the reports been purely critical of crazy US gun laws or draconian legislation to protect the unborn, I'm sure we would hold similar views and I doubt I would have even bothered to comment on the story.
It was the misleading manner in which the incident was reported that seriously got my goat.
The gaudy headlines conjured forth images of a totally innocent black woman being shot, with the added inference that, living down there in Sweet Home Alabama, she was maliciously prosecuted by some racist district attorney who, presumably dons his grand wizard KKK robes as soon as he's out of the courtroom.
The reality was, of course, very different.
But, I guess, reporting the whole picture with all its nuances, doesn't sell newspapers or encourage mouse-clicks, which is all that matters these days.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Fair enough. Had the reports been purely critical of crazy US gun laws or draconian legislation to protect the unborn, I'm sure we would hold similar views and I doubt I would have even bothered to comment on the story.
It was the misleading manner in which the incident was reported that seriously got my goat.
The gaudy headlines conjured forth images of a totally innocent black woman being shot, with the added inference that, living down there in Sweet Home Alabama, she was maliciously prosecuted by some racist district attorney who, presumably dons his grand wizard KKK robes as soon as he's out of the courtroom.
The reality was, of course, very different.
But, I guess, reporting the whole picture with all its nuances, doesn't sell newspapers or encourage mouse-clicks, which is all that matters these days.
so you support my reply to your other post then?

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

maximus otter
So what you've never done anything fucked up or just plain stupid?

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I'm not clicking any S*n links so I'll have to infer what's gone on with the hot drinks.

Coffee places provide extra packaging for their products to be carried safely and the staff are supposed to offer it. At my work staff are supposed to refuse to sell hot drinks without it.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
so you support my reply to your other post then?
I didn't read all the links you posted, but acknowledge that certain demographics - black, pregnant woman from a socially deprived background in this case, will be more at risk. So yes, I'm sure there were some valid points buried in there amongst all the hyperbole.
I do not accept however that the district attorney's decision to file charges was based on racism or misogyny.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
I'm not clicking any S*n links so I'll have to infer what's gone on with the hot drinks.
Me neither... Daily Fail I will occasionally click on if a link is posted here, but the Sun... nope, not clicking on that.

So what you've never done anything fucked up or just plain stupid?
I would say it's not so much never doing anything stupid, it's more about taking responsibility for doing something stupid instead of automatically blaming anyone but oneself.

Which seems to be all-too-common nowadays, sadly.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I would say it's not so much never doing anything stupid, it's more about taking responsibility for doing something stupid instead of automatically blaming anyone but oneself.
My greatest pleasure is accepting my own fallibility. I'm a woman of sixty, nobody gives a stuff.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
I was having a look through the TV schedules and found this for Movies 24's schedule for the coming week
xmas.PNG
https://www.tvguide.co.uk/mobile/channellisting.asp?ch=601#394779400

It's the first week in feckin' July and they are showing Christmas movies!!! And from the descriptions pretty crap ones too - although I can't wait to see A Christmas Getaway starring Travis Van Winkle. I do hope it's a festive remake of the Sam Peckinpah/Steve McQueen movie.