Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
This is laugh-out-loud bonkers, to me at least.

A junior office employee is asked by her boss to make edits to a draft document at work, one of which is to her spelling of the word 'hamster', which she had rendered 'hampster'.

Right, so far, so silly but unremarkable.

The employee, however, rejects her boss's instruction on the grounds that she 'spells it with a 'p''. It is politely pointed out that this is incorrect and she is advised to check this on dictionary.com. Apparently the boss is surprisingly indulgent about this and sympathises in that editing can be taxing and compromise is required.

The employee rejects his suggestion, however, on the grounds that she learnt to spell it with a 'p' and wants to spell it with a 'p'.

Err, right...

The boss leaves her to make the changes, but the employee gets visibly emotional and texts her mother for support. Apparently, she wants her mother to speak to her boss and tell him he's wrong to insist on the change.

What?

Her mother dutifully phones her back and is promptly put on speaker-phone in the open office. The whole office hears Mother advise her that he boss is wrong for stifling her creativity and that she should lodge a complaint!

One of several re-tellings, but the original account was by a co-worker on Twitter (of course):
https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/mil...er-at-work-when-editor-corrects-her-spelling/

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
This is laugh-out-loud bonkers, to me at least.

A junior office employee is asked by her boss to make edits to a draft document at work, one of which is to her spelling of the word 'hamster', which she had rendered 'hampster'.

Right, so far, so silly but unremarkable.

The employee, however, rejects her boss's instruction on the grounds that she 'spells it with a 'p''. It is politely pointed out that this is incorrect and she is advised to check this on dictionary.com. Apparently the boss is surprisingly indulgent about this and sympathises in that editing can be taxing and compromise is required.

The employee rejects his suggestion, however, on the grounds that she learnt to spell it with a 'p' and wants to spell it with a 'p'.

Err, right...

The boss leaves her to make the changes, but the employee gets visibly emotional and texts her mother for support. Apparently, she wants her mother to speak to her boss and tell him he's wrong to insist on the change.

What?

Her mother dutifully phones her back and is promptly put on speaker-phone in the open office. The whole office hears Mother advise her that he boss is wrong for stifling her creativity and that she should lodge a complaint!

One of several re-tellings, but the original account was by a co-worker on Twitter (of course):
https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/mil...er-at-work-when-editor-corrects-her-spelling/
Went back to university some years ago and came across this sort of silliness.

A student was pulled up for using the then novel 'txt spk' in her work. She seemed to think she was being daring and, y'know, edgy.

An American student's work was criticised for poor use of English. She was indignant because she was American so why should she write in English?

They're probably both CEOs now.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I'm not sure which aspect of this story carries the highest "WTF?!?" value - the deputies suspicions that white bird poop splotches could possibly be cocaine, the field test's erroneous results, or the hassle involved in scientifically demonstrating the white splotches were bird poop (just as the detained driver originally claimed).
Drug charge dropped; driver said white spots were bird poop

A drug charge has been dropped against a Georgia Southern quarterback after a white substance he identified as bird poop on his car’s hood tested negative for cocaine.

A Saluda County Sheriff’s Office police report said deputies pulled Shai Werts over for speeding July 31 and noticed two white spots on his car they thought were cocaine. The report says Werts told them it was bird poop he had tried to wash off. The deputies then did a field test that came back positive for cocaine and charged him with possession of the drug.

Werts’ lawyer Townes Jones IV told The Savannah Morning News more sophisticated lab testing showed the substance was not cocaine and the drug charge was dropped.

Jones says prosecutors told him the original speeding charge remains.
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/eaeeae562a364e5e98bc0f63d5d7a7a5

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I'm not sure which aspect of this story carries the highest "WTF?!?" value - the deputies suspicions that white bird poop splotches could possibly be cocaine, the field test's erroneous results, or the hassle involved in scientifically demonstrating the white splotches were bird poop (just as the detained driver originally claimed).

SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/eaeeae562a364e5e98bc0f63d5d7a7a5
There's been huge issues with the use of field tests that have had very nasty consequences for people in some cases.

People have pleaded guilty in court because the field test showed positive and police told them it would be watertight.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Went back to university some years ago and came across this sort of silliness.

A student was pulled up for using the then novel 'txt spk' in her work. She seemed to think she was being daring and, y'know, edgy.

An American student's work was criticised for poor use of English. She was indignant because she was American so why should she write in English?

They're probably both CEOs now.
Reminds me of the time in middle school when I wrote a short factual piece in English class about black 'oles. :badge:

Earned me a fuck load of red ink.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Reminds me of the time in middle school when I wrote a short factual piece in English class about black 'oles. :badge:

Earned me a fuck load of red ink.
I found that I got the same thing whenever I wrote any science fiction. The English teachers were not SF fans.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I had a bit of a knack for creative writing, so would write weirdo stories that went down well with the teachers most of the time. I even wrote one for my Higher English exam and got an A. Another skill with zero use in adult life.

Does this mean you really are considering penning a science fiction novel, then, Mytho? Or have your formative experiences put you off?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Does this mean you really are considering penning a science fiction novel, then, Mytho? Or have your formative experiences put you off?
I am, yes. Or a Fortean-themed horror. Still putting together ideas in my head. All is chaos right now, I just wish I could find a way to focus.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I am, yes. Or a Fortean-themed horror. Still putting together ideas in my head. All is chaos right now, I just wish I could find a way to focus.
Let your ideas percolate, the book won't spring fully formed from your subconscious. You never know when a solution will hit you. Take your time - but not too much time, or you'll never get anything done!

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
I was on a creative writing course last year and the tutor said not to keep ideas in your head - just get everything written down, no matter how bad or disjointed it seems. Then you go through it all and dig out the good stuff and do it all over again and again...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I went on a creative writing course a few years ago, but found it was mostly about constructing a story in the best way to get it sold. What an agent or publisher/producer will like, basically.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
I went on a creative writing course a few years ago, but found it was mostly about constructing a story in the best way to get it sold. What an agent or publisher/producer will like, basically.
That's the next stage of the course if they ever get round to doing it.