Things That Make You Go... WTF?

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
There are homophobic jokes and graphics in Ion Fury. That's why it's being censored, not because of the sexist and transphobic tweets made by the devs.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...or-sexist-and-transphobic-comments-from-staff
https://medium.com/@sophnar0747/ion-furore-19b2aa371c6b

The following article was written in part using information revealed to me by sources at Voidpoint. I have also seen emails which helped corroborate what was said. As to not reveal who my sources are, some information has been kept vague down below, but I’ve done my best to detail as much as I can.

This my comment.
So it was just a wich hunt from a forum that targets developers that support gg. the old guilty by association.

Mods can remove this if don't want it on here.

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
We're fine with the content, but you're going to have to let us know what's going on with the format.

What's you and what are the quotations?

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
We're fine with the content, but you're going to have to let us know what's going on with the format.

What's you and what are the quotations?
I don't know how that happened.this all most happens every time copy and paste something from a webpage and it could be down to the fact that Apple no longer updates software for the iPad 2.

Last edited:

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Something that has just made me go WTF. I’m involved in the Edinburgh Riding of the Marches where amongst other things happening 300 horses will ride through some of the streets of Edinburgh. I also notice that on the day this is happening one of the streets adjacent to the main route is closed for filming the latest Fast and Furious film, I hope they are going to be quiet!

Really terrible case.

A man whose terminally ill brother was refused disability benefits has accused the Department for Work and Pensions of being "shambolic and incompetent".

James Oliver, 49, could "barely walk" and was incontinent due to liver disease before he died on 9 April, his brother David Smith said. But the DWP denied Mr Oliver Personal Independence Payments (PIP) after he scored zero points in an assessment. The DWP said its procedures were followed correctly.

Mr Oliver was assessed by a paramedic, who "gave him zero points on everything", which meant he did not receive the disability benefit, his brother said. He applied for a review of the decision - called a mandatory reconsideration - but it was upheld in June 2018.

Doctors gave Mr Oliver 12 months to live last summer, according to Mr Smith, although the DWP said it only had a record of the diagnosis from March this year. Currently, a terminally ill person only qualifies for fast-tracked access to benefits when their death is expected within six months.

Without the benefits payment, Mr Oliver was not able to heat his home and he resorted to using a hot water bottle during the day to keep warm, Mr Smith said.

He said his brother "gave up" after his mandatory reconsideration was rejected and turned to alcohol.

"He just downed more or less anything he could lay his hands on at that point and it was the beginning of the end. We couldn't bring him back from that," Mr Smith said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49524259

Really terrible case.

A man whose terminally ill brother was refused disability benefits has accused the Department for Work and Pensions of being "shambolic and incompetent".

James Oliver, 49, could "barely walk" and was incontinent due to liver disease before he died on 9 April, his brother David Smith said. But the DWP denied Mr Oliver Personal Independence Payments (PIP) after he scored zero points in an assessment. The DWP said its procedures were followed correctly.

Mr Oliver was assessed by a paramedic, who "gave him zero points on everything", which meant he did not receive the disability benefit, his brother said. He applied for a review of the decision - called a mandatory reconsideration - but it was upheld in June 2018.

Doctors gave Mr Oliver 12 months to live last summer, according to Mr Smith, although the DWP said it only had a record of the diagnosis from March this year. Currently, a terminally ill person only qualifies for fast-tracked access to benefits when their death is expected within six months.

Without the benefits payment, Mr Oliver was not able to heat his home and he resorted to using a hot water bottle during the day to keep warm, Mr Smith said.

He said his brother "gave up" after his mandatory reconsideration was rejected and turned to alcohol.

"He just downed more or less anything he could lay his hands on at that point and it was the beginning of the end. We couldn't bring him back from that," Mr Smith said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49524259
And to add insult to injury:

Several months after Mr Oliver's death in Hastings, one of his children found a letter inviting him to an appeal hearing about the decision.

March 2018 - Mr Oliver makes a PIP claim

May 2018 - His claim is denied

June 2018 - His mandatory reconsideration is disallowed

July 2018 - He appeals the decision

April 2019 - Mr Oliver dies

August 2019 - The DWP invites Mr Oliver to an appeal hearing in September

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
And to add insult to injury:

Several months after Mr Oliver's death in Hastings, one of his children found a letter inviting him to an appeal hearing about the decision.

March 2018 - Mr Oliver makes a PIP claim

May 2018 - His claim is denied

June 2018 - His mandatory reconsideration is disallowed

July 2018 - He appeals the decision

April 2019 - Mr Oliver dies

August 2019 - The DWP invites Mr Oliver to an appeal hearing in September
Bastards :mad:

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
They are the biggest bastards, so only those with six months to live get considered, disgusting, get those fuckers who are playing the system, i bet a lot have been reported and nobody does anything, it infuriates me, i best go calm down, bastards

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reviews for the new joker movie are out but it's a shame that some critics could not keep politics out the there reviews and it's bad enough the Twitter mob are throwing around labels just because people are interested it this movie.

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
it's a shame that some critics could not keep politics out the there reviews
Hear, hear! It's not like major cultural artefacts like movies or novels emerge from or engage with the important themes of the day or anything like that. They exist in a vacuum, and we should approach them the same way. It's only a movie, amirite?

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Hear, hear! It's not like major cultural artefacts like movies or novels emerge from or engage with the important themes of the day or anything like that. They exist in a vacuum, and we should approach them the same way. It's only a movie, amirite?
critics are not political academics they exist to let people know if a film is worth seeing or not and yes its only a movie not a true story.

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
But I do and i was not looking for a agreement if it came across that way.
Well, it did come across that way upthread, as though you were asking people not to look for subtexts or resonances from the real world in the movies that they watch. There are plenty of people who enjoy doing just that, and I'm one of them.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I don't dispute any of your ironically made points, but I do think that Megadeth has at least a sliver of a point here.

Headline: Let's talk about why NEW FILM is problematic.

Beneath, very often, comes a highly tendentious vehicle for delivering a lecture that would more naturally find its home on an editorial page or in a social studies journal. This kind of thing is fine, but it is not a film review--it's a meta-argument. Most of the big media firms make few such distinctions (or the distinctions are so slim as to be cosmetic), however, and the multiple written takes on one film all appear alongside within the same 'culture' section.

The only reviewer I pay real attention to is Mark Kermode. He'll boil down and judge the politics that might be floating around a new release, but that will be only part of a much fuller picture. He's more concerned with a) what the film is setting out to depict, b) what the director is setting out to say, and c) how far he succeeds in these aims.

He'll say whether something left a bad taste in his mouth--and why it may do likewise for others, or not--but I've never heard anything that suggests that 'if you like this sort of thing, you're part of the problem', although he often criticises studios and directors for stale tropes, limited vision and endless recycling. I'm sure other reviewers are equally good, but I am not a big film-goer now and I haven't read many other reviewers regularly.

The last few years have brought a lot of reviews in which the potential audience is a target.

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
I owe that a more thoughtful response than I'm going to be able to manage tonight. I suspect, in fact, we don't disagree that strongly, and I also suspect I simply don't get exposed to some of the less thoughtful/more strident takes that are out there. Thing is, as that implies, nobody forces you to read the stuff you don't think is very good. Life is too short to read crap writing. The good thing about the internet is that it gives everyone a voice, whereas the bad thing about it is - you get the picture.

I agree Kermode is a very good reviewer for precisely the reasons you state (although I don't find him as much of a must-listen as I used to - I think the schtick with Mayo is getting a little tired, now, which detracts from what he has to say about the actual films). But one of the main reasons why I enjoy his take is that he does place the film within a wider cultural context. And for many of the movies from other parts of the world that he mentions, I absolutely need him to do this.

Every story we tell builds on the stories which have gone before - I don't need to tell you this, Yith. It's a logical reaction to ask "Why this story now?" That is the question underlying all acts of communication: "Why are you telling me this now?" And we bend over backwards to make meaning out of what someone is telling us, to fit it into our current context. I simply cannot conceive of watching a film without doing this - it would be like eating without swallowing, or something equally oxymoronic which I can't come up with a simile for.

As a last - I hesitate to dignify it with the word thought - notion, it strikes me - and I emphasise I haven't thought this through, it's off-the-cuff - that the stridency isn't so much a film criticism issue as one of wider societal trends. There is less and less room for nuance in many walks of life, at least in the public sphere.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Awwwwwwwww so sweet, and i know, it aint a good place for it to be, i would have grabbed it and put it outside

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Awwwwwwwww so sweet, and i know, it aint a good place for it to be, i would have grabbed it and put it outside
I daren't even watch it (does it have a happy ending?). Years ago I lived in a flat in Trowbridge and a mouse got in when we had scaffolding up – I spent age chasing one around the kitchen trying to trap it under a plastic container. In the end it jumped in a bowl full of water, from where I rescued it, taking it away and releasing it.