Things That Make You Go... WTF?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Tyre covered in huge bubbles... WTF! ...
That's dangerous as hell ... The inner multi-ply structure of the tire has been damaged, and the "bubbles" represent pressurized air seeping out to where only the outermost rubber sheath or skin still contains it. If this remaining enclosing layer gives way there will be a catastrophic blowout.

EnolaGaia

Staff member

EnolaGaia

Staff member
PigPackingMama.jpeg
So you wanna know how we make our fine rustic sausages, eh?
You can't handle how we make the sausage, punk!

Beneath wintry gray skies on the Mediterranean island of Mallorca, families, friends and neighbors gather for a centuries-old tradition that is not for the faint-hearted: the open-air slaughter of a pig.
FULL STORY (with several graphic photos of pig deconstruction and sausage making):

https://apimagesblog.com/blog/2018/...en-air-pig-slaughter-abides-on-spanish-island

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
View attachment 20385
So you wanna know how we make our fine rustic sausages, eh?
You can't handle how we make the sausage, punk!

FULL STORY (with several graphic photos of pig deconstruction and sausage making):

https://apimagesblog.com/blog/2018/...en-air-pig-slaughter-abides-on-spanish-island
“Those who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either being made.”

Bismarck (attrib.)

What an indictment of today’s society it is that this should be regarded as remarkable.

maximus otter

It's the old lady's face and the way she's holding the netted(?) sausage,that worries me!!!!!
You think that's frightening!? That there is basically the same expression as my Spanish partner's aunties (and one lives in Mallorca) had after they asked me whether I was a catholic - there was no trussed up sausage in their mitts, but I'm sure they were imagining one.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Asked Google Assistant to play, 'La Grange' there...

I had a lady playing one of those at one of my weddings.

Some of the traditional instruments are a bit grating (especially the wind variety), but the gayageum (which the Internet seems to have 'discovered' over the last couple of years) can be very soothing.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
I had a lady playing one of those at one of my weddings.

Some of the traditional instruments are a bit grating (especially the wind variety), but the gayageum (which the Internet seems to have 'discovered' over the last couple of years) can be very soothing.
I have come upon this by sheer chance.

What a fabulous instrument.

Have been listening to the following a fair bit... just find it so... well... I thought the best word was, 'soothing'...

No hesitation posting same on this topic - again, would merit one alone.

I really love this... just so gentle as well...

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Just listening again, minus video.

Oh this is quite different...

That tremelo effect, thought I was listening to Hank Marvin a few times there...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
She's good for her age, but they so often start playing as infants in East Asia.

My wife had our daughter start violin lessons at four, but others start notably earlier. My only red-line is that she must want to do it--which fortunately she does. She's no prodigy, but it has been very good at improving physical and mental discipline. For the first few weeks the teacher has them handle a replica violin and learn to hold, carry, place and position the instrument. She also had to sit through a few minutes of music and play only a single note at pre-arranged points, which meant she had to stand without moving and listen for the cue. They're small things, but they've made a noticeable difference.

One point is that a huge number of middle-class families have pianos in their homes here. Just entry-level upright ones for the most part, but because home tuition is very common the teacher uses the piano when he (though usually 'she') comes.

I assume somebody has done a cover of the theme from The Third Man on a Gayageum.

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
Some of the traditional instruments are a bit grating
I'm going to shamelessly wrench these words over into my context, and confess that the finer joys of Vietnamese traditional music remain mostly beyond me. But I do remember hearing an ensemble play at a hotel on Phu Quoc island, and they had one guy coaxing sounds out of his stringed instrument that would have had Hendrix weeping with envy. It was extraordinary stuff. Speaking of which, here's a bit of Elvis Phuong: