Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
She's good for her age, but they so often start playing as infants in East Asia.

[...]

I assume somebody has done a cover of the theme from The Third Man on a Gayageum.
That's really interesting, thank you so much.

Googled, 'What instrument played the theme music of The Third Man?'.

A Dulcimer, was it not?

Evidently otherwise:

'The instrument used in the Third Man theme is a Cimbalom. The Cimbalom is the Eastern European version of a Hammered Dulcimer'.

So that's me a happy bunny - off to find out about the intriguing Cimbalom.

See the stuff you learn about in here...

Sort of thing you would expect to happen at Cromer Aerodrome.

A flight was delayed for an hour and a woman detained by police after she opened the emergency exit for “a breath of fresh air” before the flight took off in central China’s Hubei province on Monday, mainland media reported.

The incident happened on Xiamen Air flight MF8215 from Wuhan to Lanzhou, which was scheduled to take off at 3.45pm, Btime Video said.

https://www.airlive.net/a-chinese-w...37-800s-emergency-exit-to-get-some-fresh-air/

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
For your Cimbalomic pleasure...
Right... that's bordering on certifiable.

How in the name, have I never come across this instrument previously... some performance by the maestro as well there.

Whist still in WTF! territory... last input on same then.

I find the following to be just ludicrously, insanely, wondrous...

Hey... I know this song...

:omr:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Noooo! The cimbalom is played with hammers, as above.

The Harry Lime theme was played by Anton Karas on the zither, which is plucked!:sherlock:
Such calamities are unacceptable, I can only apologise and I've had a stern word with my assistant.

'Google Assistant, I asked you a question and you gave me the wrong answer'.

GA: 'I can search the web for that'.

GA: 'Surprising!'.

GA: 'A boxer named Brandy holds the world record for longest dog tounge'.

Quite mad, this place, sometimes...

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
The theme from The Ipcress File by John Barry is played on a cimbalom, I think.
You are correct! Found this on Wiki:

John Barry, who had worked on all of the Bond films up to this time, composed the music score for the soundtrack. As opposed to the electric guitar which carried the melody in the "James Bond Theme", Barry made prominent use of a cimbalom.[9] The complex electronic sound effect of the brain-washing process was conceived by sound engineer Norman Wanstall and created by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.[10]

and this too

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Her latest dystopian bobbins is hard to avoid on Radio 4 at the moment. The bits I have caught make The Hunger Games seem like a relative masterpiece of subtlety.

The rush for the off-switch tends to preclude much in the way of a nuanced and detailed response but there is one naked Empress out there! :sstorm:

Her latest dystopian bobbins is hard to avoid on Radio 4 at the moment. The bits I have caught make The Hunger Games seem like a relative masterpiece of subtlety.

The rush for the off-switch tends to preclude much in the way of a nuanced and detailed response but there is one naked Empress out there! :sstorm:
I haven't read or heard the latest one but I'm a fan of her books.

Do you feel the same about The Handmaid's Tale novel and her other books?

The fans have been out in force. I'm just left wondering why. Her impending demise? :dunno:

It seems too widespread to be a cult, exactly but there is a lack of any detailed appreciation.

It's not as if dystopian fantasies challenge anyone now!
I'm just curious as to whether you dislike her work in general?

I really liked The Handmaid's Tale as well as the Oryx And Crake trilogy. Good politico-environmental SF.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

I've enjoyed the readings and was in fact given a promotional badge in a bookshop last week, which I wore with pride.

Tell you what DID have me hitting the off-switch: the Thatcher book.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Haha, no I meant Handmaids Tale/Testament but I guess it applies to Maggie too!
I see!

Know what you mean though. I read The Handmaid's Tale when it came out and found it disturbing. Which it was supposed to be, of course; it wasn't far-fetched because, the author reckons, everything being done to the women in the book is really occurring in the real world. Sadly that's not hard to believe.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
everything being done to the women in the book is really occurring in the real world
Her works now resonate with the counter-chime to the zeitgeist; more significantly, she is acclaimed for having led a wave. It's just hard to discern much subtlety or nuance. No one has cited any quotations as evidence, preferring to identify themselves as "fans."

Why? I'm not disputing that her books may be good-things-in-general: I support the feminist stance. I am questioning her status as a writer.

To be general in aversions, should empower enthusiasts to be a touch more enthusiastic and specific in drawing attention to details which may have been otherwise missed.

Still waiting for those. Else leave her in the Altogether? :sherlock:

Last edited: