Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I was just listening to a podcast on the Manson murders and below it was this link to a news story from a few months back.
It did make me say WTF?
This story qualifies as a Fortean fan favorite ...

( ... because this is the third time it's been posted )

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
So, I just downloaded and listened to the latest episode of the podcast Unheard: The Fred and Rose West Tapes.

After the episode, there's an advert for... kitchen knives!

Could the producers maybe have found a slightly more appropriate podcast to include that ad on?

So, I just downloaded and listened to the latest episode of the podcast Unheard: The Fred and Rose West Tapes.

After the episode, there's an advert for... kitchen knives!

Could the producers maybe have found a slightly more appropriate podcast to include that ad on?
Listen out for the ones for shovels and patio slabs after upcoming episodes.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
"Expected it to smell like muslims"

Stupid cow couldn't think of the word "curry"?
Yup, she might have mentioned smelly food instead of, well, smelly people, to cover her error.

What do Muslims smell like anyway? Curry? I must be a Muslim then.

However, the woman here was saying nice things about the Asian family so perhaps she has learned a lesson and is a better person.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
"Expected it to smell like muslims"

Stupid cow couldn't think of the word "curry"?
She had already chosen a word: Pakis, but she abandoned it after the first letter.

From there, her survival instinct screamed at her to say literally any other word in preference.

I'm guessing it's one of those "challenge your preconceptions" type programmes and she was on it due to having issues with "pakis"/Muslims/immigrants/Asians/people who are different etc. It makes me wonder how many people think "brown people" smell or are inherently dirty in some way? Probably lots. Is it just "Muslims", are other Asians exempt? Are Muslims exempt if they dress in Western clothes and/or have British accents? Do people even know what they think or what they're saying? My guess is no, and there's much evidence to suggest no one really knows what they're doing, as misanthropic as I often am, even I have a hard time with that.

I suppose it's more obvious and exponential with someone who would openly or automatically use a term like "paki", more so than than with those who wouldn't. Clearly there are plenty of people who are happy to think in such terminology and would use it with those close to them but would be smart enough to avoid it openly, but I'd imagine people who dislike people they consider different to them are going to be less rational than those who are less bothered. It's an emotive, angry reaction that allows venting and blame and I suppose it also fosters a stronger sense of belonging to one's own "in group", whoever they might be. A potent drug, perhaps the most potent.

I think everyone is prejudiced on multiple levels and to varying degrees, there will be contradictions: "I hate black people except my mate Dave" or something that amounts to "I don't like (insert group or groups here) apart from all the ones I've met"; on the other hand many seemingly more open people may have more subtle prejudices or ones that are more tolerated or less politicised.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
She had already chosen a word: Pakis, but she abandoned it after the first letter.

From there, her survival instinct screamed at her to say literally any other word in preference.
A bit like when Prince Philip went to say some work had been done by 'cowboys' but substituted 'Indians' at the last second, sounding both stupid and racist.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
A bit like when Prince Philip went to say some work had been done by 'cowboys' but substituted 'Indians' at the last second, sounding both stupid and racist.
He said he was thinking of the right phrase for dodgy workmen, got the phrase "cowboys and Indians" in his head, and went for the wrong choice of two. Which is quite funny. And stupid.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
To be honest, that's what I thought had happened, it's a pretty odd phrase.
Yup, that's about it. What happens when an impoverished minor aristocrat manages to marry into royalty and spends the next few decades trying to occupy himself and disregarding requests to shut his ignorant entitled gob in public.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Yup, that's about it. What happens when an impoverished minor aristocrat manages to marry into royalty and spends the next few decades trying to occupy himself and disregarding requests to shut his ignorant entitled gob in public.
He wasn't the Emperor of Rome, but as far as the aristocracy goes a European Prince (of Greece and Denmark), is not 'minor'--dispossessed or not.

He was pretty impoverished thought--relatively speaking.

His early life was rather sad.