Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Burger King has been selling veggie burgers for years. If they are not going to do it, they shouldn't claim they do.
They have? I didnt know that, but i have never been in or had burger king stuff
I did wonder if they are as slapdash when it comes to allergies....
I thought that as well, dangerous.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Are they cooking the veggie and vegan burgers on the same grill as the meat ones, cause if they are, i would object, cause i hate the taste of real meat, and they shouldn't be doing it
I am not a veggie by any stretch of the imagination but this is disgusting. If they are advertising veggie / vegan food then that is what should be delivered.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Exactly, if i had had a veggie burger the taste would have disgusted me, and i would have complained, as is my right, I wonder, would meat eater know if their burger had been fried in veggie stuff? Curious about that

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Exactly, if i had had a veggie burger the taste would have disgusted me, and i would have complained, as is my right, I wonder, would meat eater know if their burger had been fried in veggie stuff? Curious about that
They would not know nor would they care.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
They have? I didnt know that, but i have never been in or had burger king stuff
I haven't been in for years but I think it was a spicy beanburger or somesuch.
They would not know nor would they care.
They would know and care if it changed the flavour. Otherwise it is not the same thing at all. Veggies do not eat meat. Meaties eat veg. They wouldn't be getting something they have already stated they don't wish to eat.

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
The disgust/contempt/fear displayed towards vegans and veggies, or for that matter people with food taboos in general; is certainly interesting. "Interesting" in that it exposes the insecurities of those who take issue, it's none of your business what someone else eats and why is it so upsetting to you in the first place?

I eat meat and occasionally fish and I've never had a vegan/veggie/whatever lecture me, though have had carnivores (carnies?) complain about vegs/veggies to me. A friend is veggie, he doesn't make an issue of it but over years has had people starting to lecture him over the self-righteousness of vegetarians. I've occasionally ordered a veggie meal and had people then ask if I was veggie and when I said, i just felt a vegetable lasagne or something similar to be greeted with incredulity that I would just simply choose not to eat meat but I eat least don't get the lecture about how vegetarians etc are "wrong" or "bad"

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
I haven't had that happen. I'm an omnivore (and an omnibore, probably!) but I have often chosen the vegetarian option as I actually like veg and fruit more than most other foods but never had anyone comment negatively about it. Usually there is an assumption that if you order the vegetarian option you are a vegetarian but that's about as far as it goes.

There is a hint of religious zeal about many vegetarians and vegans, especially those who have recently become vegan. The tendency to get a bit preachy when someone just wants to have a quiet meal is bound to generate some ill-will, I have certainly experienced preachy vegans and vegetarians getting quite irritable about my food choices.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I haven't been in for years but I think it was a spicy beanburger or somesuch.

They would know and care if it changed the flavour. Otherwise it is not the same thing at all. Veggies do not eat meat. Meaties eat veg. They wouldn't be getting something they have already stated they don't wish to eat.
My point was that most meat eaters don't care whether their meat has been cooked with vegetable oil or with vegetables, whereas vegetarians do care. Generally speaking, most meat is cooked with vegetable oil of some description, so I doubt if 'changing the flavour' is uppermost in a meat eater's mind.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
There is a hint of religious zeal about many vegetarians and vegans, especially those who have recently become vegan. The tendency to get a bit preachy when someone just wants to have a quiet meal is bound to generate some ill-will, I have certainly experienced preachy vegans and vegetarians getting quite irritable about my food choices.
OTOH vegetarians get wags waving meat in their faces at the table. Hilarious.

Techy once thought this would be funny. Just the once.

Last edited:

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
WTF are vegans even doing going to a place called 'BURGER KING' anyway? .. surely the clue is in the fucking name? ...

Imagine this situation but in reverse:

Oh I know darling! .. let's go to that restaurant that only does vegetarian food .. famous for it in fact for decades now .. and then let's try to order fillet steak and the kick off when they don't do it! ..

.. wankers ..
I know you might find this hard to believe, but some vegetarians and vegans actually have family, and even friends! It is nice to be able to take your kids out and have something to eat, apart from chips!

My point was that most meat eaters don't care whether their meat has been cooked with vegetable oil or with vegetables, whereas vegetarians do care. Generally speaking, most meat is cooked with vegetable oil of some description, so I doubt if 'changing the flavour' is uppermost in a meat eater's mind.
As a supporter of the National Lard Council I always demand that meat is cooked in animal fat.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I know you might find this hard to believe, but some vegetarians and vegans actually have family, and even friends! It is nice to be able to take your kids out and have something to eat, apart from chips!
I get that but Burger King? .. if anything, the meat eater kids should have compromised and gone somewhere that isn't mainly and traditionally focussed on selling cooked meat but then they also could have ordered meat based meals for themselves with the vegetarian and vegan guest's needs far better catered for .. it's just common sense .. there's tons of other quality places that would cook meals to please everyone but no .. they just had to go to burger king to make a self righteous point. Zero sympathy for drama creators.

.. wankers.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The disgust/contempt/fear displayed towards vegans and veggies, or for that matter people with food taboos in general; is certainly interesting. "Interesting" in that it exposes the insecurities of those who take issue, it's none of your business what someone else eats and why is it so upsetting to you in the first place?

I eat meat and occasionally fish and I've never had a vegan/veggie/whatever lecture me, though have had carnivores (carnies?) complain about vegs/veggies to me. A friend is veggie, he doesn't make an issue of it but over years has had people starting to lecture him over the self-righteousness of vegetarians. I've occasionally ordered a veggie meal and had people then ask if I was veggie and when I said, i just felt a vegetable lasagne or something similar to be greeted with incredulity that I would just simply choose not to eat meat but I eat least don't get the lecture about how vegetarians etc are "wrong" or "bad"
I've mentioned it before on here, but most carnivorous people aren't that bothered by my vegetarianism, just ask what I have for Christmas dinner, for instance, but you do get the occasional "how dare you judge me!!!" nutter. It's become popular enough to be part of any restaurant, even the fast food ones, or else they would be losing a lot of custom. Money makes the world go around.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
I'm neither veggie nor vegan but try to eat pretty well - lots of fresh veg, home-cooked meals etc. But I have developed a fondness for Greggs' vegan sausage rolls; I absolutely accept that's not a health food but when I'm out cycling I like a savoury snack – and I reckon the 'junk' in a vegan product is going to be better than that in the meat alternative. Before trying the vegan sausage roll as far as I can remember I'd never eaten a Greggs' product in my life as I tend generally not to eat their sort of food (I know how snobbish that sounds, it's not meant to!).

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Burger King has been promoting their "Impossible meat" veggie burgers, to get vegetarian customers in. That's why they are going there, and getting annoyed when you try to put your meat between their buns.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
My point was that most meat eaters don't care whether their meat has been cooked with vegetable oil or with vegetables, whereas vegetarians do care.
That really does go without saying though.

Generally speaking, most meat is cooked with vegetable oil of some description, so I doubt if 'changing the flavour' is uppermost in a meat eater's mind.
Incorrect! People go thermonuclear if their favourite food product is changed. There are a few examples in this link.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ury-comes-clean-on-creme-egg-chocolate-change

Monday 12 January 2015 will go down in confectionery history as a bad day. A hurtful day.
The day when it was revealed that Cadbury’s Creme Eggs have changed for ever.
No longer shall the egg shell be made from delicious Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate. It will instead be made from disgusting, foul, vomit-inducing “standard cocoa mix chocolate”.
“It’s no longer Dairy Milk. It is similar, but not exactly Dairy Milk,” said a spokesman for Cadbury, which was bought by the US giant Kraft in 2010 and is now owned by Mondelez, with a flippancy almost as hard to stomach as this new, Frankenstein’s monster of an egg is bound to be.

I get that but Burger King? .. if anything, the meat eater kids should have compromised and gone somewhere that isn't mainly and traditionally focussed on selling cooked meat but then they also could have ordered meat based meals for themselves with the vegetarian and vegan guest's needs far better catered for .. it's just common sense .. there's tons of other quality places that would cook meals to please everyone but no .. they just had to go to burger king to make a self righteous point. Zero sympathy for drama creators.
Burger King of course have the right to sell anything they want and if they want to sell only meat burgers then they are perfectly within their rights to do so. But if they are not going to sell veggie or vegan food then they shouldn't claim they do. It is false advertising.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Burger King has been promoting their "Impossible meat" veggie burgers, to get vegetarian customers in. ...
That wasn't and isn't the whole story. BK and other fast food / restaurant chains are prominently launching "non-meat meaty" offerings because market research indicates consumers are increasingly turning against wholesale ingestion of red meat. The fastest-growing fast food segment in the USA is chicken sandwiches, not veggie / non-meat items.

The other factor underlying this year's innovative shifts has been the arrival of meat substitutes that mainstream consumers find to be satisfactory alternatives.

There are many folks switching away from red meat choices for reasons other than self-imposed or doctrinaire veganism / vegetarianism. As a result, it's inaccurate and misleading to frame current trends as businesses playing solely to vegans / vegetarians.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
That wasn't and isn't the whole story. BK and other fast food / restaurant chains are prominently launching "non-meat meaty" offerings because market research indicates consumers are increasingly turning against wholesale ingestion of red meat. The fastest-growing fast food segment in the USA is chicken sandwiches, not veggie / non-meat items.

The other factor underlying this year's innovative shifts has been the arrival of meat substitutes that mainstream consumers find to be satisfactory alternatives.

There are many folks switching away from red meat choices for reasons other than self-imposed or doctrinaire veganism / vegetarianism. As a result, it's inaccurate and misleading to frame current trends as businesses playing solely to vegans / vegetarians.
Maybe in the US, but the millennials elsewhere are embracing vegetarianism and veganism, and it's a growing trend for the future.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Every restaurant l’ve ever been into has veggie options. l’ve never been into a veggie restaurant that has a meat option.

maximus otter