Things That Make You Go... WTF?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... Reminds me of the Dymaxion car - just as weird and probably just as popular.
The Cybertruck is aimed to slot into an intermittently longstanding and increasing popular market segment - unibody pickup-style vehicles offering the ride and handling characteristics of an SUV with the cargo hauling and towing potentials of a similarly-sized traditional pickup truck.

This particular blend of car-like driving characteristics and a pickup style bed in a unibody format is reminiscent of (e.g.):

- The Subaru Brat / Baja (now discontinued)
- The "utes" popular in Australia (and long extinct in the US domestic market (USDM))
- The Honda Ridgeline (whose current incarnation is quite popular)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
It looks like a stealth Lamborghini, I wonder if it shows up on police radar.
Most definitely ... Its high profile and stainless steel body panels would light up any radar receiver - especially given its blunt grille area.

One automotive specialty article I read about the Cybertruck reveal claimed there would be no paint options offered, but customers were expected to be able to order trucks with a full-body vinyl wrap.

If anyone were to want to stealth-ify a Cybertruck against radar the vinyl wrap could be the key element in trying it. On the other hand ... At least in the USA police have widely transitioned over to laser-based speed guns, against which there'd be little defensive obscuration possible.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I think that qualifies as brutalist architecture.

Looks like something out of an 8-bit video game.

"Nintendo has confirmed that the Tesla Cybertruck will make an appearance in the Star Fox franchise.

The boxy, polygonal truck will be a playable vehicle option alongside the traditional Arwing fighter, Landmaster tank, and Blue-Marine sub. And yes, it can do a barrel roll.

"It's has that sleek, angular, Arwing-inspired look, and it's made up of about 3 polygons, so it fits right in," said Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser. "You can just run right over the bad guys, because it's pretty much just a giant battering ram. And best of all, you get 500 miles on a single charge." "

Courtesy of the Babylon Bee satire site.

maximus otter

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I have a trusteeship with a small local charity that does supplimentary education.

About 6 weeks ago one of our tutors came to me as the pay cheque I'd written him had been rejected by the bank as they said the two sort codes on it didn't match, which is unusual but not a problem and just how our bank do it - I told him to try again and get a different teller, second time it went through fine as everything else has done for the last two years.

This week the same thing happened with our cheque for employers and public liability insurance. :O

After I prodded the insurance company they went back to the bank who conceded they rejected it in error, unfortunately they'd already returned to cheque to us by then... insurance company are being good about this and asked me to return it to them so that is back in the post now.

Can only assume banks can't be arsed with training their staff anymore.

This is from information issued by the DWP. Really appalling.

2,600 benefit claimants die within weeks of being ruled fit for work
  • At least 2,600 sick and disabled people died after being declared fit to work
  • The government contractor approved them to work following assessment
  • Critics have demanded an inquiry after they died when taken off benefits
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sial-government-crackdown-dead-TWO-WEEKS.html

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
This is from information issued by the DWP. Really appalling.

2,600 benefit claimants die within weeks of being ruled fit for work
  • At least 2,600 sick and disabled people died after being declared fit to work
  • The government contractor approved them to work following assessment
  • Critics have demanded an inquiry after they died when taken off benefits
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sial-government-crackdown-dead-TWO-WEEKS.html
I'm not going to ask whether it is true, but I will ask whether it's wise to post it here.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Is the government contractor Capita ? I cant read it as i use an ad blocker, for a reason

Eeek! Maybe it was a stunt to advertise Knives Out.

A number of police officers were assaulted as they attempted to tackle a fight at a cinema involving men armed with machetes.

Disorder broke out as West Midlands Police attempted to clear about 100 people from the Star City complex in Birmingham. They were responding to reports a group with machetes had arrived at the venue's cinema. Several arrests for assaulting officers and failing to disperse were made. The injured officers sustained only minor injuries, the force said.

One eyewitness said "a young boy was crying on the floor with his mother" as a number of people started fighting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-50533609

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
I have heard that small machetes, butcher knives and meat cleavers are the en vogue weapon of choice for all shades and varieties of the discerning feral youth (though I am vaguely fascinated as to how they can conceal them down tracky-bottoms without it falling straight through or causing a particularly hazardous form of chafing. That elastic must be powerful.)

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
I have heard that small machetes, butcher knives and meat cleavers are the en vogue weapon of choice for all shades and varieties of the discerning feral youth (though I am vaguely fascinated as to how they can conceal them down tracky-bottoms without it falling straight through or causing a particularly hazardous form of chafing. That elastic must be powerful.)
Does no one carry sharpened metal combs any more?
Or was that a Teddy Boy thing?

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Eeek! Maybe it was a stunt to advertise Knives Out.

A number of police officers were assaulted as they attempted to tackle a fight at a cinema involving men armed with machetes.

Disorder broke out as West Midlands Police attempted to clear about 100 people from the Star City complex in Birmingham. They were responding to reports a group with machetes had arrived at the venue's cinema. Several arrests for assaulting officers and failing to disperse were made. The injured officers sustained only minor injuries, the force said.

One eyewitness said "a young boy was crying on the floor with his mother" as a number of people started fighting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-50533609
*Must remain calm and understanding. Must remain calm and understanding. Must remain calm and understanding.*

4d161136ac0adcc3d2aee0c2352dfc94.gif

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Earlier I was looking at craft tools on Amazon. One is called a 'seam ripper' and is used to unpick stitching.
There was a large selection of rippers and sets of rippers and cutters, and unpickers, some in little bags with tape measures and other necessities, along with mugs with humorous 'ripper' slogans - 'If you see the seam ripper, now is not a good time!' 'Keep calm and grab the seam ripper!' - hmmm, lovely, would make a nice gift...

Lower down the page, I noticed that the search had thrown up other 'Ripper' merchandise, specifically mugs with Jack the Ripper motifs. Not at ALL inappropriate.