Things That Make You Go... WTF?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Earlier I was looking at craft tools on Amazon. One is called a 'seam ripper' and is used to unpick stitching.
There was a large selection of rippers and sets of rippers and cutters, and unpickers, some in little bags with tape measures and other necessities, along with mugs with humorous 'ripper' slogans - 'If you see the seam ripper, now is not a good time!' 'Keep calm and grab the seam ripper!' - hmmm, lovely, would make a nice gift...

Lower down the page, I noticed that the search had thrown up other 'Ripper' merchandise, specifically mugs with Jack the Ripper motifs. Not at ALL inappropriate.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
I dont like it but then I look like a wookie at the moment, all shaggy fringe.

When I get some money in I will get it clipped back and people will tut at my `severe` haircut.

Or Dad will speculate he has a son now.

But if I have it clipped, it will be neater, and will bring out my natural waves and partings.

----

Escargot; the Seam ripper is the most useful tool in the sewing box.

Which probably says too much about my sewing

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
My WTFs were that:

a) You can be 'hair-bullied' as a senior police officer.
b) That she has left Twitter over it.
c) That she got where she is in a conservative institution looking... unconventional for a police officer.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
My WTFs were that:

a) You can be 'hair-bullied' as a senior police officer.
b) That she has left Twitter over it.
c) That she got where she is in a conservative institution looking... unconventional for a police officer.
I infer that she’s a lesbian from all of the studious avoidances of the issue, even in Pink News. She has obviously scored big time here, because:

a) She’s now a *sniff* “victim”, which is the best thing to be *evah*.

b) She’s been seen to take a “principled stand”.

She’s of the new generation that seems to regard uniform headgear as an optional accessory, rather than as a compulsory part of uniform.

“Uniformed staff:

Wear your hair so that it is cut or secured above the collar and ears and is neat and tidy. It should not present a health and safety hazard. Any hair accessory must be plain in design and black or navy blue in colour. Extreme and vivid hair colouring is not permitted. Do not dye it in conspicuously unnatural colours.”

https://recruit.college.police.uk/Officer/Documents/Appearance_Standards_GuidanceDocument.docx

maximus otter

I infer that she’s a lesbian from all of the studious avoidances of the issue, even in Pink News. She has obviously scored big time here, because:

She’s of the new generation that seems to regard uniform headgear as an optional accessory, rather than as a compulsory part of uniform.

“Uniformed staff:

Wear your hair so that it is cut or secured above the collar and ears and is neat and tidy. It should not present a health and safety hazard. Any hair accessory must be plain in design and black or navy blue in colour. Extreme and vivid hair colouring is not permitted. Do not dye it in conspicuously unnatural colours.”

https://recruit.college.police.uk/Officer/Documents/Appearance_Standards_GuidanceDocument.docx

maximus otter

“Uniformed staff:

maximus otter
Police suspect that a follically challengedretired rozzer who has a penchant for hunting deer is responsible for the online bullying.

"He's hartless and jealous of her hair" said police Chaplain Canon Law.

i'm about as unwoke as they come, but i have a bit of sympathy for her really. She's just doing her job (well, by most accounts) and loads of social media twits start attacking because of her hair? Whether you a police deputy chief constable or not, having thousands of hateful trolls picking on your appearance and taking the piss can''t be nice, especially as they tend to be the sort who can't take it themselves. I am on twitter so i can call out various lying politicians when i feel like it, but i avoid this sort of stuff like the plague as it's just bullying by people who get off on the whole twitter herd mentality. If you're getting annoyed by a policewoman with a funny haircut then maybe you should re-assess your priorities.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
That reminds me - must dig out my Eraserhead T-shirt.
'In Heaven, everything is fine, you've got your good things and you've got mine...' I'd kill (not literally) for the Eraserhead/Rachel Swann haircut – frankly, I'm envious of anybody who has enough hair to have a style (says the man who has a number one on the sides and 1.5 on top – that's pretty much the only option. Apart from a Buddhlst shave all over...)

More seriously, I agree with Casper: 'If you're getting annoyed by a policewoman with a funny haircut then maybe you should re-assess your priorities.' Absolutely. It's a f***in' haircut! This is 2019, we should be above such things. Unbelievable.

When I was younger I was spat at for having long hair, worn in plaits a la Willie Nelson, unusual for blokes in the early 1980s – this is one of the few times I've reacted violently in my life. I kicked the little s**t in the groin. Regrets? I didn't kick him harder!! Not sure Gandhi would approve of such sentiments but, heh, I'm not Gandhi!

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
I wasn't being disrespectful to DCC Swann by intention - I was literally reminded by her to dig out my Erasurehead T-shirt I last wore about 3 years ago and which should have got to the top of my laundry pile by now.

Cochise

Antediluvian
i'm about as unwoke as they come, but i have a bit of sympathy for her really. She's just doing her job (well, by most accounts) and loads of social media twits start attacking because of her hair? Whether you a police deputy chief constable or not, having thousands of hateful trolls picking on your appearance and taking the piss can''t be nice, especially as they tend to be the sort who can't take it themselves. I am on twitter so i can call out various lying politicians when i feel like it, but i avoid this sort of stuff like the plague as it's just bullying by people who get off on the whole twitter herd mentality. If you're getting annoyed by a policewoman with a funny haircut then maybe you should re-assess your priorities.
It is the way of the world - Twitter has just made it more instantaneous and less easy to brush off. I've had the piss michael taken out of me all my adult life for long hair. It has bonuses as well - on Saturday I was mistaken for Rick Wakeman.

If you are sensitive to that kind of thing at her age then it's probably as much her problem as the haters. Just laugh at them and move on.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
lf she’s so emotionally fragile that being razzed about her hairstyle upsets her, l wonder how her (doubtless minimal) time out on the cobbles went?

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
lf she’s so emotionally fragile that being razzed about her hairstyle upsets her, l wonder how her (doubtless minimal) time out on the cobbles went?

maximus otter
There are a number of photographs of her wearing the ribbon for three medals. As you 'speak cop', could you identify them for us?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
There are a number of photographs of her wearing the ribbon for three medals. As you 'speak cop', could you identify them for us?
The quality of the image isn’t great, but l believe that they are (L to R):

1. Golden Jubilee Medal

2. Diamond Jubilee Medal

3. Long Service, Good Conduct Medal

1 & 2 are just for having five years’ service on the dates of the respective Jubilees. l have (1), and should have (2); in fact l don’t remember why l don’t have (2). Perhaps we had to apply, and l couldn’t be arsed.

3 is for 22 years’ efficient service while displaying good character. That l have it should be a sufficient index of its quality...

maximus otter

It is the way of the world - Twitter has just made it more instantaneous and less easy to brush off. I've had the piss michael taken out of me all my adult life for long hair. It has bonuses as well - on Saturday I was mistaken for Rick Wakeman.

If you are sensitive to that kind of thing at her age then it's probably as much her problem as the haters. Just laugh at them and move on.

Well we all have to develop a thick skin in real life, but its a bit different from 1000's of strangers just attacking you for being short/having mad hair/being a potential lesbian. Anyway it was more a comment on the general mindset of Twitter and how everyone thinks their opinion is important. Anyone can have an opinion about her whether it's finding her hair amusing or tutting because you don't think she looks like a copper, but, I just don't understand the mentality of people who go to the trouble to pursue the woman on social media and gang up to abuse her because she should know what they think of her dammit!. If you saw her on the street, most people wouldn't think of coming up to her and calling her a weird haired lesbo dwarf, and you certainly wouldn't get a large group of people crowding round to abuse someone they know nothing about. But that's twitter i guess.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Part of my job is helping manage police social media accounts - you would not believe the stuff that we have to read...

...every...

...single...

...day.

It's a window on a world that I thought we had left behind. There are some terrifying mindsets out there.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
3 is for 22 years’ efficient service while displaying good character. That l have it should be a sufficient index of its quality...

maximus otter
Awarded for the ability to remain beneath the radar.

He's been here that long and we haven't caught him doing anything he shouldn't?

I don't know his name, but give that man a gong!

Sounds a bit like the Efficiency Medal:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficiency_Medal

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
It's a window on a world that I thought we had left behind. There are some terrifying mindsets out there.
Perhaps if you saw what they saw every day, and had to deal with what they had to deal with every day, your opinion might change. lt’s difficult to retain a Winnie-the-Pooh mindset when you spend eight to twelve hours every day in Lord of the Flies.

maximus otter

Cochise

Antediluvian
Well we all have to develop a thick skin in real life, but its a bit different from 1000's of strangers just attacking you for being short/having mad hair/being a potential lesbian. Anyway it was more a comment on the general mindset of Twitter and how everyone thinks their opinion is important. Anyone can have an opinion about her whether it's finding her hair amusing or tutting because you don't think she looks like a copper, but, I just don't understand the mentality of people who go to the trouble to pursue the woman on social media and gang up to abuse her because she should know what they think of her dammit!. If you saw her on the street, most people wouldn't think of coming up to her and calling her a weird haired lesbo dwarf, and you certainly wouldn't get a large group of people crowding round to abuse someone they know nothing about. But that's twitter i guess.
You wouldn't get thousands of people on the street, its true. But it is not uncommon for people to come up to a long-haired casually dressed git and call you a layabout, a poofter, a cowardly pacifist etc. The fact that I'm a company director, own my own house, and have only my own moral code preventing me having become a millionaire rather puts them on the wrong foot - if I can be bothered to explain, which mostly I'm not. It's also notable that nothing of the sort happens when I'm with my biker mates or even in my biker gear, so we know the sort of coward we are dealing with.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Perhaps if you saw what they saw every day, and had to deal with what they had to deal with every day, your opinion might change. lt’s difficult to retain a Winnie-the-Pooh mindset when you spend eight to twelve hours every day in Lord of the Flies.

maximus otter
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick mate - I'm talking about comments/tweets made by the public on police accounts. Not posts made by the police.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Part of my job is helping manage police social media accounts - you would not believe the stuff that we have to read...

...every...

...single...

...day.

Sorry to quote myself, but just to clear up any confusion - I'm talking about comments/tweets/posts made by the public on police posts.

The overwhelming majority are helpful and supportive i.e. sharing a missing or wanted person's details, but I'm not surprised the officer mentioned above left Twitter.

There are some unpleasant folk around and social media has given them a platform that they didn't have previously (although that's not news). Not one of them would have the guts to make those comments to her face.