Things That Make You Go... WTF?

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
"Just going out to the pictures." "OK, don't forget your machete."

Seems the new film Blue Story is getting blamed. I feel really sorry for the filmmakers, since it was supposed to promote an anti-gang, anti-violence theme.

And so it should. There has been an astonishing 25 violent incidents at cinemas around the country at the screening of this movie:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-vue-cancelled-film-blue-20956919

Whilst before my time, I've read about A Clockwork Orange being pulled because of copycat violence by gangs wanting to emulate Alex and his "droogs".

This seems to be having a similar effect. Looks like every wannabee "gangsta" has been turning up fully tooled for this movie.

For the safety of the cinema staff and the general public, the decision not to screen this movie has to be the correct one.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Perhaps if you saw what they saw every day, and had to deal with what they had to deal with every day, your opinion might change. lt’s difficult to retain a Winnie-the-Pooh mindset when you spend eight to twelve hours every day in Lord of the Flies.

maximus otter
I think a lot of us do appreciate what the police do, i have every respect for them, that's how i was brought up.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
And so it should. There has been an astonishing 25 violent incidents at cinemas around the country at the screening of this movie:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-vue-cancelled-film-blue-20956919

Whilst before my time, I've read about A Clockwork Orange being pulled because of copycat violence by gangs wanting to emulate Alex and his "droogs".

This seems to be having a similar effect. Looks like every wannabee "gangsta" has been turning up fully tooled for this movie.

For the safety of the cinema staff and the general public, the decision not to screen this movie has to be the correct one.
Just heard on the 19:00 news that Vue cinema has backtracked on its decision and will now be showing this movie.
Let's hope there are no further violent incidents.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Sorry to quote myself, but just to clear up any confusion - I'm talking about comments/tweets/posts made by the public on police posts.

The overwhelming majority are helpful and supportive i.e. sharing a missing or wanted person's details, but I'm not surprised the officer mentioned above left Twitter.

There are some unpleasant folk around and social media has given them a platform that they didn't have previously (although that's not news). Not one of them would have the guts to make those comments to her face.
When a bunch of female MPs are leaving Parliament this election because of the sheer volume of rape and death threats online, I'm afraid I'm not that surprised. Too many people online believe they have a platform to be as obnoxious as possible, and too many social media companies act as enthusiastic enablers. Just imagine them on their phones, tapping out the grossest insults imaginable and being incredibly pleased with themselves because they can hide behind false names like little cowards.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
But you can still see it in other cinema's - to me this is a terrible decision that will just make people go and see it for the wrong reasons. Better to let the film play while flagging-up it's anti-violence theme, not hype it as something "dangerous" which will just make it more desirable for tooled-up gangs :rolleyes:

That film was pulled by Stanley Kubrick himself after direct threats on his family. It had already played the UK for a year by then.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
But you can still see it in other cinema's - to me this is a terrible decision that will just make people go and see it for the wrong reasons. Better to let the film play while flagging-up it's anti-violence theme, not hype it as something "dangerous" which will just make it more desirable for tooled-up gangs :rolleyes:

That film was pulled by Stanley Kubrick himself after direct threats on his family. It had already played the UK for a year by then.
I've not heard anything about threats to his family before? .. I'd also only heard that he self censored himself out of fear of copycat violence?

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
I've not heard anything about threats to his family before? .. I'd also only heard that he self censored himself out of fear of copycat violence?
https://www.theguardian.com/film/1999/sep/01/1
A Clockwork Orange, Stanley Kubrick's controversial 1971 film, has been unavailable in Britain since shortly after its release. A number of violent copycat attacks resulted in a still-standing ban on the ultraviolent film. However, it seems that Kubrick's action was prompted by more than his conscience.

Interviewed for an upcoming Channel 4 documentary on her late husband, Christiane Kubrick says Kubrick was the target of death threats, which ceased once the film was withdrawn. The British film board did not officially ban A Clockwork Orange. Kubrick took it upon himself to have all prints of the film pulled, and Warner Bros. complied with the director's wishes.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I don't know if director Andrew Onwubolu has received any personal threats because of his movie, but the main issue here clearly is the copycat violence. A shame the director didn't do the responsible thing as Kubrick did and withdraw the movie. Whether or not it was intended as a cautionary tale, I doubt that wannabe "gangstas" view it like that any more than those who gleefully copied Alex in A Clockwork Orange appreciated that that it was a clever dystopian fable exploring the power of a totalitarian state versus the rights of the individual (even psychopaths),

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Earlier I was looking at craft tools on Amazon. One is called a 'seam ripper' and is used to unpick stitching.
There was a large selection of rippers and sets of rippers and cutters, and unpickers, some in little bags with tape measures and other necessities, along with mugs with humorous 'ripper' slogans - 'If you see the seam ripper, now is not a good time!' 'Keep calm and grab the seam ripper!' - hmmm, lovely, would make a nice gift...

Lower down the page, I noticed that the search had thrown up other 'Ripper' merchandise, specifically mugs with Jack the Ripper motifs. Not at ALL inappropriate.
I thought a seam-ripper was an unusually powerful fart.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
I don't know if director Andrew Onwubolu has received any personal threats because of his movie, but the main issue here clearly is the copycat violence. A shame the director didn't do the responsible thing as Kubrick did and withdraw the movie. Whether or not it was intended as a cautionary tale, I doubt that wannabe "gangstas" view it like that any more than those who gleefully copied Alex in A Clockwork Orange appreciated that that it was a clever dystopian fable exploring the power of a totalitarian state versus the rights of the individual (even psychopaths),
Wasn’t a tramp kicked to death in real life by a group of thugs whilst singing “Singing in the Rain” as seen in A Clockwork Orange?

I'm not convinced there is a link between the film and the violence, more a link between Vue cinema locations and where wannabe gangsta's hang out. Star City or Chav City is a case in point. Not the place i'd choose to go to on a night out as it does tend to attract large gangs of bored kids whether there''s a film on or not.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I'm not convinced there is a link between the film and the violence, more a link between Vue cinema locations and where wannabe gangsta's hang out. Star City or Chav City is a case in point. Not the place i'd choose to go to on a night out as it does tend to attract large gangs of bored kids whether there''s a film on or not.
But there were 25 significant violent incidents reported at 16 different cinemas.
I doubt if they were all in dodgy ghettos.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
A shame the director didn't do the responsible thing as Kubrick did and withdraw the movie.
Only a director with the power of Kubrick can pull his own movie - and he did it after it's run anyway.

Whether or not it was intended as a cautionary tale, I doubt that wannabe "gangstas" view it like that
And that's why I feel it's more dangerous to ban it - you're elevating it to something it isn't. I can understand them pulling it from that cinema, but not all their cinemas.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Russian Cows Fitted With Virtual-Reality Headsets

Source: themoscowtimes.com
Date: 'one day ago'

The grass is greener in a virtual world.

That’s what Moscow region farmers were aiming for when they fitted their dairy cows with virtual-reality headsets to test their milk production.

“Experts noted reduced anxiety and improved overall emotional mood in the herd” during the VR experiment, said the regional agriculture administration.

Screenshot_20191127_143202.jpg

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/11/26/russian-cows-virtual-reality-headsets-a68316

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-50571017
The world's first sperm bank for HIV-positive donors has launched in New Zealand, aiming to fight stigma surrounding the illness.
Three HIV-positive men have already signed up to donate - all of whom have an undetectable viral load.

Please tell me this a joke and there's no way a sperm bank is going take sperm from someone who is hiv positive.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-50571017
The world's first sperm bank for HIV-positive donors has launched in New Zealand, aiming to fight stigma surrounding the illness.
Three HIV-positive men have already signed up to donate - all of whom have an undetectable viral load.

Please tell me this a joke and there's no way a sperm bank is going take sperm from someone who is hiv positive.
Read the article again.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Maybe I'm missing something here, or I'm not sufficiently up-to-date on advances in HIV deterrence ...

If I understand correctly, they're essentially using the sperm bank as a demonstration platform for illustrating the usability of HIV-positive sperm from donors who supposedly can't transmit the virus via their sperm.

I respect the intention to provide HIV-positive folks with support for having children, but ...

(1) I have a problem accepting at face value the implicit claim that sperm containing an undetectable viral load is incapable of transmitting any / enough virus to be a problem for the resultant child. "Undetectable" only means the viral load is low enough to not nudge a measurement higher than zero (according to the measuring instrument). It doesn't mean the virus is entirely absent.

(2) I'm not sure there's a viral load low enough to be "safe" for any / all resultant children. It seems to me the recipient / mother could conceivably (no pun intended) carry or impart characteristics which might leave the child defenseless against even an undetectable viral load.

(3) Nowhere do I see any mention of how the service is going to certify(?) the supposedly "safe"(?) viral load level to recipients (or regulators, etc.) so that everyone can have confidence the donated sperm entails no risk.

(4) Most generally ... I find it sorta mind-blowing that anyone would go to this much trouble and still possibly be gambling with a potential risk of exposing a child to lifelong HIV issues just to satisfy someone's abstract desire for parenthood.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Agreed. I wouldn't trust them to be absolutely sure. Plus I am not convinced that the best way to educate people on HIV is to start telling them it is okay to have unprotected sex with someone who is HIV positive. People do not always take the correct message from health campaigns. In fact they rarely do it seems.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Agreed. I wouldn't trust them to be absolutely sure. Plus I am not convinced that the best way to educate people on HIV is to start telling them it is okay to have unprotected sex with someone who is HIV positive. People do not always take the correct message from health campaigns. In fact they rarely do it seems.
I can see this initiative prompting other sperm banks to make a point of advertising their product as certified NOT from HIV positive doners.
Just beggars belief that anyone thought this would be a good idea.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Have I misunderstood?

I took it that the sperm bank was going to supply sperm from HIV-positive donors to HIV-Positive recipients who wish to conceive with the assurance that the child will not carry the disease.

I didn't understand it as saying that they will serve the wider HIV-negative community.