Things That Make You Go... WTF?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Have I misunderstood?
I took it that the sperm bank was going to supply sperm from HIV-positive donors to HIV-Positive recipients who wish to conceive with the assurance that the child will not carry the disease.
I didn't understand it as saying that they will serve the wider HIV-negative community.
This is the same confusion I had ... I tacitly presumed the point was to establish a donor program for HIV-positive clients (on both sides of the transaction). However, upon re-reading the article I realized there was no clear indication of who the intended / expected recipient clientele may be. I further realized there was no clear indication this was or would become an established service.

This is why I referred to it as a "demonstration platform." I'm still unsure what they're demonstrating.

In any case, I'm still apprehensive about anyone gambling with a child's life (and life prospects) based on confidence in the current state of the art in HIV knowledge, treatment and / or countermeasures. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a viral load considered assuredly safe today would eventually prove to be something other than the sure thing these well-meaning folks seem to presume.

INT21

Antediluvian
Couldn't decide which thread for this one. It's more for CNN viewers.

You will have noticed during the breaks in programs they run their 'Freedom Day' promo.

It begins with Nimar ElBagir saying ' you are witnessing a sale of human beings'. Then it shows some other related clips, one with a young boy explaining how one might recognise people who have been trafficked.

But the bit to watch is the part where the presenter (wearing a white top and blue slacks) is seated with a group of children who are carrying notices saying 'my freedom day'. or something similar.

Watch her left hand.

Let me know if you see what I mean.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Couldn't decide which thread for this one. It's more for CNN viewers.

You will have noticed during the breaks in programs they run their 'Freedom Day' promo.

It begins with Nimar ElBagir saying ' you are witnessing a sale of human beings'. Then it shows some other related clips, one with a young boy explaining how one might recognise people who have been trafficked.

But the bit to watch is the part where the presenter (wearing a white top and blue slacks) is seated with a group of children who are carrying notices saying 'my freedom day'. or something similar.

Watch her left hand.

Let me know if you see what I mean.
Need a link.

INT21

Antediluvian
I don't know of a link.

I see it every night when I watch CNN on the tv.

Which is why I mentioned it being more for CNN viewers.

dejanmikic

Ephemeral Spectre
TIL (Today I Learnt) that LGBT is now called LGBTQ+ which includes a number of new groups including:

Two-Spirit
Two-Spirit is a modern umbrella term used by some indigenous North Americans to describe gender-variant individuals in their communities, specifically people within indigenous communities who are seen as having both male and female spirits within them

https://ok2bme.ca/resources/kids-teens/what-does-lgbtq-mean/

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
TIL (Today I Learnt) that LGBT is now called LGBTQ+ which includes a number of new groups including:

Two-Spirit
Two-Spirit is a modern umbrella term used by some indigenous North Americans to describe gender-variant individuals in their communities, specifically people within indigenous communities who are seen as having both male and female spirits within them

https://ok2bme.ca/resources/kids-teens/what-does-lgbtq-mean/
I think it's just a way of getting a high-scoring word in Scrabble that uses the Q but not the U...

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
If you type 241543903 into your browser and search for images, you'll find lots of pictures of people putting their heads in fridges.
The 241543903 head-in-the-freezer meme was a participatory artwork initiated in 2009.

David Horvitz (born 1972 in Humboldt, California) is a Japanese-Italian-American artist who uses art books, photography, performance art, and mail art as mediums for his work. ... He is known for his work in the virtual sphere. ...

In 2009, Horvitz started the “241543903/Head-in-a-Freezer” meme. People were encouraged to take a picture of their heads in a freezer and upload the image with the tag “241543903”. That way everyone could see each other's images by Googling “241543903”. The meme first gained popularity on Orkut, Google's social network in Brazil. Horvitz spread the word by sending 100 fliers to a friend in Brazil who handed them out to random young people. It is a rare case where an internet meme was spread through IRL means.
SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Horvitz

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
People can also, for example, be asexual - which is as valid as anything else. It behooves us not to be dogmatic about such things.

Drawing attention to this post from Yith earlier this year - further developed further down the thread. Let us stay away from snippy one-liners and remember that this isn't the place to proselytise a personal agenda in these areas.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/good-posting-practices.16430/page-9#post-1871252

If you want to discuss the whys and wherefores of this then do it in PM or the relevant thread please! this thread doesn't need to be derailed so we have to cut large blocks out of it; unfortunately innocent posts are often tangled inextricably with problem ones and have to go as well.

Frideswide