Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Have the Two Ronnies again -
Two Ronnies London Stations Sketch

Funny enough in itself! but at 0.54 Ronnie C pronounces his brother in law 'as Brent as Notting Hill Gate, as a matter of fact!'
He means 'bent' as in gay or camp.
What Cockneys would refer to as "Duke of Kent" or a "Perry Como" .

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
There's an old American English idiom that plays on yet another meaning for "queer" - i.e., "fake", "phony" or "counterfeit":

"Queer as a three-dollar bill."

The phrase ostensibly dates back at least as far as the late 19th century, and the use of "queer" to mean "fake" allegedly dates back to circa 1740.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/queer+as+a+three-dollar+bill
A friend who used to work in an electronics store told me that several such stores circa 1980 used a code in which a "lot number" was put on the price tag that appeared in front of each item on display. In reality, the lot number was the wholesale price times two, e.g. Lot # 360 meant it cost the store $180. This way any salesman would have an idea of how low he could bargain down the price. He also said the staff would refer to the occasional oddball customer as a "lot six". I assumed the term derived from "three-dollar bill".

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
What Cockneys would refer to as "Duke of Kent" or a "Perry Como" .
Or indeed an 'iron', as in 'iron hoof'; even the Aintree Iron in the Scaffold song Thank You Very Much.

Mike McGear, the songwriter, has never explained what the Aintree Iron was. McGear is actually Michael McCartney, brother of Paul of the Beatles, and many believe it was a nickname for the Beatles' manager Brian Epstein.

Last edited:

ravensocks

Devoted Cultist
Couldn't decide which thread for this one. It's more for CNN viewers.

You will have noticed during the breaks in programs they run their 'Freedom Day' promo.

It begins with Nimar ElBagir saying ' you are witnessing a sale of human beings'. Then it shows some other related clips, one with a young boy explaining how one might recognise people who have been trafficked.

But the bit to watch is the part where the presenter (wearing a white top and blue slacks) is seated with a group of children who are carrying notices saying 'my freedom day'. or something similar.

Watch her left hand.

Let me know if you see what I mean.
I saw this tonight, she is holding her microphone in her right hand and her left hand is held loosely between her legs. As a fellow ring wearer, it looks like she is fiddling with a ring on her left hand. Doesn't strike me as being particularly sinister, but I'm not sure what you are implying. What do you think she is doing?

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Seriously?

http://t.email3.telegraph.co.uk/r/?...Edi_FAM_New_ES20191203&utm_campaign=DM1153344
Mr Men at centre of sexism row as feminist accuses Mr Clever of 'mansplaining'
It was meant as an innocuous joke to amuse young children.
But on Monday Mr Men found itself at the centre of a sexism storm when a feminist academic condemned a gag as an example of "mansplaining".
The claims centre on a conversation between Mr Clever and Little Miss Curious, and a pun about the Forth Bridge in Scotland.
An exasperated Mr Clever explains the Unesco site is so-called because of the Forth River, after Little Miss Curious asks “what happened to the First, the Second and the Third Bridges”
It resulted in a backlash from PhD student Shelby Judge. She accused Roger Hargreaves’ long-running series of perpetuating “antiquated gender roles” and branded its illustrated characters part of a “sexist iconography”.
The 24-year-old academic said Mr Clever’s clarifying comment in the book, Mr Men in Scotland, is an example “mansplaining”, and said the book was telling girls they “need to be stupid”.

The publishers dismissed her concern, saying the pun by the sightseeing fictional creations was nothing more than the characters getting up to their “usual antics”.

"They're using Mr Men to enforce these ridiculous antiquated gender roles,” English literature student Ms Judge said.
"It's meant to be a funny joke, but then it's always at the expense of women. It’s punching down. You don't have to joke at the expense of anyone, there's just no need.

“It's an example of these tiny things that build up to create a whole patchwork quilt of sexist iconography that every child of any gender is going to internalise."
Ms Judge, studying at the University of Glasgow, claimed that jokes never need to be at anyone’s expense. She would however welcome a satirical “Mr Mansplain” character in Misterland, who could be mocked for his attitudes.
The PhD student uncovered the allegedly misogynist Mr Men material during a visit to Stirling Castle where the book, with a reading age of three and up, was being sold in the gift shop.

The passage from Mr Men in Scotland CREDIT: KENNEDY NEWS AND MEDIA/KENNEDY NEWS AND MEDIA

In the offending passage, Little Miss Curious naively asks what happened to bridges preceding the Forth Bridge, before Mr Clever explains the name comes from the River Forth. The blonde character then questions what happened to the “The River First, the River Second and the River Third”, before the bespectacled Mr Clever sighs: “It was going to be a long day”.
Ms Judge said of the gift shop volume’s message: "They don't need to rely on such tired gender stereotypes for a children's story about Scotland.”
"Why is that what you want to give as part of your souvenirs? It's the very definition of a micro aggression.”

The publisher of Mr Men, now penned by the late Mr Hargreaves’ son Adam, has denied there is anything sinister in the special regional Mr Men adventure, which sees the nominatively determined characters acting out their various compulsions. Mr Strong tosses a caber, Mr Tickle pesters the Loch Ness Monster, and Mr Noisy plays the bagpipes.
"In Mr Men Scotland, the many Mr Men and Little Miss characters in the book get up to their usual antics,” a spokesperson for publishers Egmont UK said.
“The book is a celebration of Scotland and its unique heritage sites."
Mr Men has previously been criticised for alleged sexism, over the marital title given to female characters, and the negative traits given to the Little Misses, including “Bossy”.

So jokes shouldn’t be at the expense of another person. Unless it’s Mr Mansplaining. That’s ok.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
One person's criticism hardly constitutes 'a backlash'.

It's funny, I was at two fairly decent universities at undergraduate and post-graduate level and I honestly never met one of these cultural loons. Most of my peers were of the 'dry and dusty' persuasion (Philosophy) and the 'nice and rich' variety (Victorian Literature); I never encountered a single protest, walkout or hissy fit.

Did they really all hatch in the past decade?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Did they really all hatch in the past decade?
I've been involved in Unis in various ways non-stop since the age of 18. I'm now 58.

I've never met any of these people then or now. I know from past curiosity that nobody else I know that's relevant has either. The odd case has been, unfortunately, someone having other difficulties.

Have come to the conclusion that either they are plain made up or the actual story bears little or no relation to the published version.

I really do doubt that the deluge is upon us, althoughI suspect that the huffers and puffers are reacting to dogwhistles and their coniptions are exactly what the papers want! :rollingw:

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
I've been involved in Unis in various ways non-stop since the age of 18. I'm now 58.

I've never met any of these people then or now. I know from past curiosity that nobody else I know that's relevant has either. The odd case has been, unfortunately, someone having other difficulties.

Have come to the conclusion that either they are plain made up or the actual story bears little or no relation to the published version.

I really do doubt that the deluge is upon us, althoughI suspect that the huffers and puffers are reacting to dogwhistles and their coniptions are exactly what the papers want! :rollingw:
One person says it and the paper prints it making out it’s a massive backlash. I remember a friend of mine organised a sex / BDSM festival. The local rag contacted a vicar for a quote and he said something along the lines of naturally he wouldn’t be going but he understood some people liked this sort of thing and he hoped it was successful for them. To give the paper it’s due they did print it.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Wondered if there was a video of this occuring in a short space of time.

Thought, hopefully worth a mention here...

Odd isn't it? Nothing to do with camouflage - the colours make it more noticeable. Maybe the colour change entrances its prey making them easier to catch. Got to be a sound evolutionary reason for it.. attracting a mate?

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Tributes to chicken catcher who died after pain left him unable to work
Sad story but ...
John (48) had left school and started work as a chicken catcher in a poultry factory in Middleton-on-the-Wolds
"He worked his way up from being a catcher to working in the factory. He would have been promoted further if he had stayed there but the silly beggar went private catching to earn more money. It was hard work, very physical - and he stank."

One person says it and the paper prints it making out it’s a massive backlash. I remember a friend of mine organised a sex / BDSM festival. The local rag contacted a vicar for a quote and he said something along the lines of naturally he wouldn’t be going but he understood some people liked this sort of thing and he hoped it was successful for them. To give the paper it’s due they did print it.
He was probably more into dogging.

View attachment 21576

Extinction rebellion activists dressed as bees have surrounded the Liberal Democrat election bus in South London so one of them could superglue his hands to the front windscreen.

The bus is electric-powered.

10/10 lads.
:monkey:
Don't support Jo/LDs but she didn't deserve that!

They should buzz off.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Tributes to chicken catcher who died after pain left him unable to work
Sad story but ...
John (48) had left school and started work as a chicken catcher in a poultry factory in Middleton-on-the-Wolds
"He worked his way up from being a catcher to working in the factory. He would have been promoted further if he had stayed there but the silly beggar went private catching to earn more money. It was hard work, very physical - and he stank."
Oh that is a sad story. Poor fellow. :( I am strange charmed by that detail though. Odd thing to put in a newspaper but it is from the heart.