Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Now an opponent of "honour killings" has been murdered.

Pakistani activists are calling for a high-level judicial inquiry into the murder of a whistleblower who exposed "honour killings" in the country.

Afzal Kohistani had warned for years his life was in danger after he brought public attention to the apparent killing of women seen clapping and singing in a video of men dancing. A day after his murder, his family were shocked by the arrest of his nephew. They say he was protecting Mr Kohistani and fired at his attackers.

Mr Kohistani was shot dead on Wednesday in the city of Abbottabad, in north-western Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. He first emerged into the public eye in 2012 by calling for justice in a case involving his family in remote Kohistan district. Two of his younger brothers were seen dancing in a wedding video that also showed four women singing and clapping. The four women, along with a fifth, were later killed for "breaching the honour" of their family, it is alleged.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47497096
Another "honour" killing, this time in the UK. Took 18 years to get justice, wonder why his sister wasn't charged seeing as she put him up to it.

A killer has been jailed 18 years after murdering his victim over comments he allegedly made to his sister.

Mohammed Tabraz fled the UK after using a hammer to kill Soheil Mumtaz, 24, who worked with the defendant's sister in a biscuit factory. The 39-year-old was caught after being convicted for his involvement in a heroin supply gang in the United States in 2017. He admitted murder and was jailed for life with a minimum of 20 years.

St Albans Crown Court heard he repeatedly hit Mr Mumtaz - who was known as Solo - over the head with a hammer in Luton in April 2001. He had felt his "family honour" was "besmirched" by comments the victim had made to his sister, Shaiha Zahid, about how attractive she was.

Prosecutor Stuart Trimmer QC said it was his case that nothing "untoward" was said but the court heard Ms Zahid told a colleague she was going tell her brother about Mr Mumtaz's comments so he "would beat hell out of [Solo]".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-50747063

The "nazi pug" guy discussed earlier on this thread has been fined £800.
The schweinhund lost his right to appeal! This affair has dogged us for long enough, time to curtail it.

A YouTuber who raised £200,000 by crowdfunding online to challenge a conviction for sharing footage of himself training a dog to perform a Nazi salute has had his application to appeal thrown out by the Supreme Court.

Mark Meechan, 32, was ordered to pay £800 after he uploaded a video of his girlfriend’s dog lifting its paw when he said “Sieg Heil” and reacting to the phrase, “Gas the Jews”. He was found guilty of breaching the Communications Act by publishing material that was racist, grossly offensive and antisemitic in nature at a trial at Airdrie sheriff court in April last year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six...-dog-man-denied-appeal-to-top-court-2lcxtb5qh

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
The schweinhund lost his right to appeal! This affair has dogged us for long enough, time to curtail it.

A YouTuber who raised £200,000 by crowdfunding online to challenge a conviction for sharing footage of himself training a dog to perform a Nazi salute has had his application to appeal thrown out by the Supreme Court.

Mark Meechan, 32, was ordered to pay £800 after he uploaded a video of his girlfriend’s dog lifting its paw when he said “Sieg Heil” and reacting to the phrase, “Gas the Jews”. He was found guilty of breaching the Communications Act by publishing material that was racist, grossly offensive and antisemitic in nature at a trial at Airdrie sheriff court in April last year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six...-dog-man-denied-appeal-to-top-court-2lcxtb5qh
He's cleaned up nicely there, lots of stupid racists lining his greedy pockets.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

It was comedy.

Whether or not you or I think it was amusing or in good taste, the idea that judges will strip words and actions of their context and take them literally is a very worrying development. It reminds me of the chap who laughingly declared that he was going to blow an airport sky-high owing to the delays he was suffering and was prosecuted for making a legitimate threat. The language used was deliberately dramatic and would have been quite absurd from a genuine terrorist.

Meechan, whatever else he may be, has never given any clue that he might be an anti-semite. As for being grossly offensive, I'm pretty sure that I recall that there were no complaints from the public, so the authorities themselves had to complain.

Not good.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Ought we prosecute comedians for being rubbish?

If so, it still shouldn't be under hate-crime legislation.
I think he was more prosecuted for yelling "gas the jews" over and over for 2 minutes rather than for not being funny. That is a bit more than merely "not funny".

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I think he was more prosecuted for yelling "gas the jews" over and over for 2 minutes rather than for not being funny. That is a bit more than merely "not funny".
To be clear, I don't like that (although I think you have slightly mischaracterised the video: it had coherence).

Nonetheless:-
  1. There are clear legal contexts in which one can utter the words 'Gas the Jews' with impunity, not least quotation. To my knowledge, there are no words or combinations of words that are illegal to speak aloud in and of themselves (under English law). So he was not 'prosecuted for 'merely' yelling "gas the jews" as you suggest. He was prosecuted for his supposed intent in saying that--a crucial distinction.
  2. Nobody seems to believe he was attempting to incite anybody to carry out that crime--least of all the dog he was addressing.
  3. Although the speech was said to be grossly offensive, there wasn't much sign of offended parties.
  4. The comedy part--yes, poor--was that his partner doted on the dog and he had taught it to perform the worst 'trick' he could imagine.
  5. The fact that--as he made clear--having the dog seemingly respond to Nazi hatred with affirmation was the 'worst thing' he could imagine, would appear to imply that he did not agree with crimes against the Jewish people and did not wish them to be carried out.
I'm not going to say that I like the idea, but any moral philosopher will tell you that if you cannot clearly enunciate why and how an action is morally wrong, you are likely to be expressing personal taste; we should not legislate in matters that pertain solely to personal taste.

I'm not absolutely convinced that there cannot be a plausible legal/moral argument against him here, and I'm open to having my mind changed, but if there is one, I haven't seen it here and didn't see it in the reporting of the trial.

Legislation against 'that kind of thing' is very poor legislation.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
To be clear, I don't like that (although I think you have slightly mischaracterised the video: it had coherence).
I don't remember coherence, just repetition. I do understand what you are saying and I nearly agree but for the fact that it pretty much was just him yelling "gas the jews" over and over again. It might have been amusing if he had done it once or twice as the dogs apparent excitement over those words could have been funny. However, him shouting it over and over again really did begin to seem rather like incitement to me.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Because to do so would be offensive and not at all funny, and I would deserve a good kicking.(I wasn't even thinking of doing it!)
Correct ... The Terms & Conditions prohibit content that is:

... defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, ... , likely to offend, that invites or inflames discord (e.g., "trolling"), or serves solely to promote a particular political, religious, or commercial interest or agenda ...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
.. I spoke to a journalist on the phone. I've just learned it got into the daily fail as well. He was being a proper twat just because he was asked to take his drink on stage in a plastic instead of a glass. He wasn't being singled out, even the legend John Hurt complied one day without any problems ... part of my chat is in this link. I didn't ask for any payment, he hasn't been back since although he was advertised to do so. I can't name other people because some of them still work there.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5561745/jim-davidson-comedian-diva-barman-spat-glass-stage-facebook/

Last edited: