Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
You, me and Max passed over again in the Honours List, I'm gutted.
It's a small price for us to pay so long as the Elton John fan in charge doesn't forget to make him the emperor of the universe as well next year.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
'Sir Elton John has received the highest acknowledgement in a new year honours list in which hundreds of ordinary people were recognised alongside household names from sport, the arts, entertainment and politics.
The singer and songwriter was awarded the Companion of Honour for a remarkable career spanning more than five decades, in which he has sold more than 300m records worldwide, and used his fame to promote the work of 23 charities, including his own Aids foundation. He becomes one of only 64 people apart from the monarch who can hold the honour at any one time.' ...

.. because that's just what the world needs at the moment .. more awards for Elton John .. I hope he gets the Nobel Prize in something next Christmas for some as yet unspecified reason, that would be great.
It's just the Queen recognising another old queen.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Maybe if Mick Jagger did a cover version of Under Pressure but changed it to be about Prince Andrew, he could get himself a knighthood? .. sort of like Candle In The Wind was adapted by Elton John?

edit: blimey .. he already is a Sir.

Have we got Sir Chris Rea, Sir Rod Stewart and Sir Mick Huknall yet?

Last edited:

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe if Mick Jagger did a cover version of Under Pressure but changed it to be about Prince Andrew, he could get himself a knighthood? .. sort of like Candle In The Wind was adapted by Elton John?

edit: blimey .. he already is a Sir.

Have we got Sir Chris Rea, Sir Rod Stewart and Sir Mick Huknall yet?
Sir Rod Stewart is a thing.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I read years ago that the Queen and the Queen Mother were sitting around the Palace one night and wanted a drink, so the Queen rang down to the staffroom for a footman, thusly - 'If you old queens have a minute, two old queens up here would like some gin!'

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I read years ago that the Queen and the Queen Mother were sitting around the Palace one night and wanted a drink
The version I heard was that three footmen were camping around in the Queen Mother's clothes, when she appeared in the doorway.

"There is one old queen in this palace who is still waiting for her supper!"

I could lever in the true information that during the early eighties, the royals promised to do their bit to aid Liverpool's depressed economy by recruiting staff via Old Swan Job Centre. One of my pupils was encouraged to apply for a post in the Queen Mother's retinue, so I wrote him a reference. He got the job! I should say that he was the military type and not given to camping about. I wonder how he fitted in . . . :bdown:

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
You have been reading all those stories about how they used to supplement their income . . .

"No clothes on, Sir? The last thing you saw was a Guardsman. Well, I never!" :doh:
That was 3 Para Mortar Platoon. Allegedly.

Next time you meet a bunch of Paras you could raise the issue with them. I’m sure they’d love to be reminded of the tale. Just remember to pick your new nose out of the catalogue first.

;)

maximus otter

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
If there is a better place to put this then Mods please feel free to move it :) but I did not want to waste a new thread just for this.

Basically I was looking at this video which purports to show a man almost getting taken out by a skidding car in Alaska:

https://news.sky.com/video/dramatic-near-miss-as-car-drifts-on-icy-roads-11897075

But... I'm slightly perplexed by a small part of the video, and would like to solicit opinions as to whether I'm being paranoid (quiet you at the back!) or whether it appears as odd as I think it looks.

At the risk of sounding overly dramatic I don't want to draw attention to anything before you have watched the video (cognitive bias or somesuch), so please watch it and let me know if you spot anything odd.

Thank you in advance.

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score
If there is a better place to put this then Mods please feel free to move it :) but I did not want to waste a new thread just for this.

Basically I was looking at this video which purports to show a man almost getting taken out by a skidding car in Alaska:

https://news.sky.com/video/dramatic-near-miss-as-car-drifts-on-icy-roads-11897075

But... I'm slightly perplexed by a small part of the video, and would like to solicit opinions as to whether I'm being paranoid (quiet you at the back!) or whether it appears as odd as I think it looks.

At the risk of sounding overly dramatic I don't want to draw attention to anything before you have watched the video (cognitive bias or somesuch), so please watch it and let me know if you spot anything odd.

Thank you in advance.
Not seeing anything untoward?

Stillill

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score

Thank you in advance.
The only slightly odd thing I can see is a cars headlights come around the bend in the distance and then suddenly the car is no longer there.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Well, nine-foot Sasquatches aside, @Stillill is thus far the only one to spot what I've spotted. :D

I want to think it's a car disappearing down a hill, but it doesn't appear that way to me. It really looks to me as if it just disappears. Which led me to wonder about some sort of suspect-video-editing (rather than anything paranormal).

Further thoughts? The disappearing car appears just before the drifting car appears, at about 9 seconds in.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Well, nine-foot Sasquatches aside, @Stillill is thus far the only one to spot what I've spotted. :D

I want to think it's a car disappearing down a hill, but it doesn't appear that way to me. It really looks to me as if it just disappears. Which led me to wonder about some sort of suspect-video-editing (rather than anything paranormal).

Further thoughts? The disappearing car appears just before the drifting car appears, at about 9 seconds in.
The video is edited, presumably for time. The truck in the foreground also changes position and it's doors close.

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score

Just an edit, watch the truck at the same time and it’s just an overlapping dissolve in and out to presumably remove time where nothing happened.