Things That Make You Go... WTF?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
“...he'd had a history of depression.

His GP and the Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust agreed to have him sectioned in 2015, but he returned home to Pine View flats, Radford after a matter of days.

After this he was rarely seen, missing several GP appointments and refusing approaches from mental health teams.

Mr Graham also ignored repeated contact from the DWP and his employment and support allowance (ESA) was stopped in August 2017. This also affected his housing benefit, which ceased on 10 October.

The last official contact was with housing provider Nottingham City Homes, which heard him shouting and punching a door during a visit in February 2018.”

And the daughter-in-law (and presumably at least one son?) who had so much to say at the inquest, what were they doing while dad starved himself to death?

This isn’t as cut and dried as the BBC is making it out to be.

maximus otter
But should he have had his benefits stopped? I agree that this case has other aspects.

Here's another extreme case:

Benefits for a disabled woman with a rare genetic disorder where she can barely speak, eat or breathe were stopped after the government found her “fit for work”.

Helen Boughen, 33, has been told that despite a number of debilitating health problems that cause tumors all over the body and lead to the loss of her eye, she is not disabled enough. She has had surgery 16 times in the past 16 years – including radical surgery to remove a tumor on her face that had to be rebuilt. Her underlying condition, neurofibromatosis, causes tumors to grow along the nerves and the back of the head, and she has injuries to the brain and spine.

She has difficulty speaking, eating and breathing and has no feeling on one side of her face because the bones in her head are so weakened by the stressful radiation therapy.

Three metal pins hold her false eye in place and her hips are weak as the surgeons removed most of the bones and muscles there to rebuild the face.

https://technoea.com/benefits-for-v...he-government-thought-they-were-fit-for-work/

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Be careful that this doesn't go further in to politics.

If all that can develop from here is people posting entrenched positions then please leave it alone.

Frides

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll add--with no presumptuous judgment on who is right on wrong--that past experience has shown that only a small percentage of our membership wants to read about divisive social policy debates.

I'm not saying it isn't important, just that this is not an appropriate venue for the discussion.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, here's my two-cents'-worth on the subject ...

Such topics are fair game to the extent they relate to (contextualize; explain ... ) an odd or anomalous situation or outcome. The oddity of a man starving to death in a modern developed nation was at least partially explained by his loss of benefits, with the rest of the story explained by his stubborn resistance in ongoing interactions with relevant authorities.

IMHO discussion slips (arguably ... ) out of bounds for this forum when it shifts from the specific anomalous incident to the broader context of the rules and criteria underlying the termination of his income and / or benefits accorded others.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
There's nothing excellent about that cesspit of a blog. I was a relative newcomer to the political blogosphere of the early 2000s, but when I was active there was still the possibility of civil discourse across political divides. Staines and his crew - not least the horrible commenters - did a great deal to corrode the quality of online conversation, and were in the vanguard of the fake news/culture war rubbish that makes online interaction so unpleasant today.
I've been thinking about this. I also deprecate the loss of civil discourse among people of differing political opinions. But I believe the rot started a lot earlier, possibly as early as the Major government. I spent 1992 to 1996 living in the US, and I noticed the increased hostility and the decrease in rational debate when I returned. At the same time I also noticed a striking increase in the state intervening in ordinary daily life.

I was genuinely surprised and shocked, and somewhat regretted my decision to return, although it was also influenced by private family matters. However, friends I retain in the US assure me that things are as bad or worse over there, but in their case 9/11 seems to have been a catalyst.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Slight return to Gwyneth Paltrow:
NHS Chief protests

The chief executive of NHS England has complained about her new show to Netflix, accusing it of being dangerously anti-science and "a considerable health risk". And he's right - Netflix claim it's "entertainment" but you could say the same of televangelists fleecing their followers. They should be ashamed of themselves.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this. I also deprecate the loss of civil discourse among people of differing political opinions. But I believe the rot started a lot earlier, possibly as early as the Major government. I spent 1992 to 1996 living in the US, and I noticed the increased hostility and the decrease in rational debate when I returned. At the same time I also noticed a striking increase in the state intervening in ordinary daily life.

I was genuinely surprised and shocked, and somewhat regretted my decision to return, although it was also influenced by private family matters. However, friends I retain in the US assure me that things are as bad or worse over there, but in their case 9/11 seems to have been a catalyst.

I have to admit that since a certain president was elected I have had more contact with old style conservatives and find that I have a lot in common with them. I even follow former CIA analysts on Twitter and RT their posts,

Also in RoI and the UK, I find I have an affinity with conservatives (small c) who defend women's rights against the demands of a small but powerful lobby of delusional narcissists

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether this guy was causing trouble to make some sort of point versus ingesting all at once the rest of the stash he was alleged to have been infiltrating into the detention center.

Naples-FL-PaintedHome.jpg
Home's eccentric paint job in Naples attracts criticism from neighbors

With paint-splattered and sprayed in multiple bright colors all over the house, trees, lawn and even the mailbox, the home almost looks like something out of a cartoon.

Neighbors in the Il Regalo Circle Community in Naples are complaining of a paint job done on a nearly half-million-dollar home.

Neighbors said the paint job got progressively worse over the course of a week, and now the management company for Il Regalo said the damage could be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

With paint-splattered and sprayed in multiple bright colors all over the house, trees, lawn and even the mailbox, the home almost looks like something out of a cartoon.

According to the Collier County property appraiser, the man who owns the house is 40-year-old Jeffrey Leibman, who neighbors said completed the paint job over the course of a week.

Even the van parked outside of the house had "Who is Omar?" sprayed on its side.

Management said Liebman is no longer living in the home. ...

Liebman, who could not be reached for comment, is already facing drug charges, including smuggling contraband into a detention facility. ...
SOURCE (With Photos / Video): https://www.nbc-2.com/story/4160952...b-in-naples-attracts-criticism-from-neighbors

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether this guy was causing trouble to make some sort of point versus ingesting all at once the rest of the stash he was alleged to have been infiltrating into the detention center.

SOURCE (With Photos / Video): https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41609522/homes-eccentric-paint-job-in-naples-attracts-criticism-from- Someone with the 60's - 70's headset,? Almost makes Y high to look at the place.
Looks to be someone with a 60's - 70's mindset. Almost get high just viewing the pic.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Perhaps, but there are few of us here who believe that our perceived rights should trump and infringe on those of everyone else.
Eh, I think the ratio of doormats to self-evangelists probably evens things out in the long run. The doormats get less publicity, though.

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't we all have a lot of the "delusional narcissist" in us sometimes?
especially if sauted with walnuts and cream.....

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Eh, I think the ratio of doormats to self-evangelists probably evens things out in the long run. The doormats get less publicity, though.
If one has to be a doormat on an anonymous site when it is quite unlikely one will ever meet someone whom they offend, intentionally or accidentally, then 'doormat' is probably encoded in one's DNA.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
If one has to be a doormat on an anonymous site when it is quite unlikely one will ever meet someone whom they offend, intentionally or accidentally, then 'doormat' is probably encoded in one's DNA.
Good point ... If one can't help but remain a wallflower in a milieu where anything goes and there are no lasting repercussions then they're probably an innate / natural wallflower and that's all there is to it.

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point ... If one can't help but remain a wallflower in a milieu where anything goes and there are no lasting repercussions then they're probably an innate / natural wallflower and that's all there is to it.
true - and the other side is certainly true. People who use the anonymity the think they have in order to swagger and posture.

Less of it here than in many places thank goodness, but it means that it doesn't half stand out when it happens! :yellowc:

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
So everyone wins ?

Actually, the wallflowers win.

'The anonymity they think they have'. Interesting.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
But the doormats get badly trampled on.

Anyway I was responding to Cochise's comment on the coarseness of political debate. Here even though there are occasional fall outs we can get along. I might have differences with say Int21, Max or BMCS but we have more in common than divides us. I have a fight with BMCS over a post he makes about Dianne Abbott, a week later I'm tweeting to Dawn Butler supporting an opinion that BMCS holds!

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
true - and the other side is certainly true. People who use the anonymity the think they have in order to swagger and posture.

Less of it here than in many places thank goodness, but it means that it doesn't half stand out when it happens! :yellowc:
What is considered 'swaggering and posturing' as opposed to shedding light on a subject from what may be considered an unexplored viewpoint ?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
What is considered 'swaggering and posturing' as opposed to shedding light on a subject from what may be considered an unexplored viewpoint ?
One differentiating criterion would be whether any light being cast:

(a) is presumed, implied, or claimed to emanate from the poster's own self-attributed radiance

versus ...

(b) represents an objective source of illumination on the subject matter itself.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score

(a) is presumed, implied, or claimed to emanate from the poster's own self-attributed radiance

versus ...

(b) represents an objective source of illumination on the subject matter itself.
Funny you should mention that.

I've just finished reading 'The Road to Wigan Pier' .

I was going to start a thread on it. But as we are here, who else thinks Orwell walked around in a pool of light emitting from his nether regions ?

INT21.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
IMHO it would be best to start a dedicated thread about it ...

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Good idea. Now why didn't I think of that ?

;)

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score

versus ...

Oh (b) definitely.

Often it is necessary to sweep away the snow before the ground beneath can be properly examined.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

versus ...

Look at me, I'm a star!

Vs.

Have you seen that star over there? It's lovely.