Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Good point ... If one can't help but remain a wallflower in a milieu where anything goes and there are no lasting repercussions then they're probably an innate / natural wallflower and that's all there is to it.
true - and the other side is certainly true. People who use the anonymity the think they have in order to swagger and posture.

Less of it here than in many places thank goodness, but it means that it doesn't half stand out when it happens! :yellowc:

INT21

Antediluvian
So everyone wins ?

Actually, the wallflowers win.

'The anonymity they think they have'. Interesting.

Eh, I think the ratio of doormats to self-evangelists probably evens things out in the long run. The doormats get less publicity, though.
But the doormats get badly trampled on.

Anyway I was responding to Cochise's comment on the coarseness of political debate. Here even though there are occasional fall outs we can get along. I might have differences with say Int21, Max or BMCS but we have more in common than divides us. I have a fight with BMCS over a post he makes about Dianne Abbott, a week later I'm tweeting to Dawn Butler supporting an opinion that BMCS holds!

INT21

Antediluvian
true - and the other side is certainly true. People who use the anonymity the think they have in order to swagger and posture.

Less of it here than in many places thank goodness, but it means that it doesn't half stand out when it happens! :yellowc:
What is considered 'swaggering and posturing' as opposed to shedding light on a subject from what may be considered an unexplored viewpoint ?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
What is considered 'swaggering and posturing' as opposed to shedding light on a subject from what may be considered an unexplored viewpoint ?
One differentiating criterion would be whether any light being cast:

(a) is presumed, implied, or claimed to emanate from the poster's own self-attributed radiance

versus ...

(b) represents an objective source of illumination on the subject matter itself.

INT21

Antediluvian

(a) is presumed, implied, or claimed to emanate from the poster's own self-attributed radiance

versus ...

(b) represents an objective source of illumination on the subject matter itself.
Funny you should mention that.

I've just finished reading 'The Road to Wigan Pier' .

I was going to start a thread on it. But as we are here, who else thinks Orwell walked around in a pool of light emitting from his nether regions ?

INT21.

INT21

Antediluvian

versus ...

Oh (b) definitely.

Often it is necessary to sweep away the snow before the ground beneath can be properly examined.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

versus ...

Look at me, I'm a star!

Vs.

Have you seen that star over there? It's lovely.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member

versus ...

and

Look at me, I'm a star!

Vs.

Have you seen that star over there? It's lovely.
I'll add that the judgement is one best made by the audience. People often miss the mark by miles.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Like this: you swagger and posture, I shed light on a subject.
:bhave::)

Seriously, something that seems to have been lost in general discourse (and I mean outside these boards) is understanding:
a) because someone holds an opposite opinion to oneself does not necessarily make them a bad person, and enquiring into WHY they hold those views may shed light on the different approaches - we are all slaves to our personal experiences.
b) It is perfectly possible for a person to hold views on a variety of subjects, some of which one totally agrees with and others of which one totally rejects.

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
In what universe does this publicity-seeking jerk not deserve medieval treatment? ... :pitch:
‘It was good for publicity’ says man arrested for false coronavirus claim on Jamaica-bound plane

Peel police have arrested a man for mischief after he reportedly told a plane full of people bound for Jamaica that he had coronavirus, forcing it to return to Toronto.

The WestJet flight, headed to Montego Bay, departed Toronto around 10 a.m. Monday and was about halfway there when the man reportedly stood up and told crew and passengers he had coronavirus.

The pilot radioed back and returned the flight to Toronto Pearson Airport. The plane landed at around 2:10 p.m. and the man was assessed by medical staff and deemed symptom free. He was then arrested. ...

James Potok, 28, from Vaughan has since been charged with mischief and breach of recognizance. He will appear in court on March 9 in Brampton.

Potok’s parents confirmed to CityNews he is an up and coming musician who also goes by Potok Philippe. ...

“It would be something else if I said hey guys I have a bomb strapped to me … I have a weapon on me … people blew it out of proportion. To me it was simply a joke,” he says.

“About mid-way through the flight I stood up, pulled my video camera out – I was going to post it to Instagram, send it to 6ixbuzz so it goes viral,” he explained. “I looked around, I said ‘can I get everybody’s attention please’ and … I followed up by saying, word-for-word, I said ‘I just came back from Hunan province, the capital of the coronavirus…I’m not feeling too well. Thank you,’” adding that nobody laughed and about 15 minutes later all the airline staff were wearing masks and put him in a mask and gloves as well.

When the plane started turning back, he says he began to second guess his actions. ...
SOURCE: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/02/03/coronavirus-plane-prank/

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I would love to know how those children turned out. :omg:
Child cruelty, right there.
I have a friend who had to put up with similar when she was a kid. Her Dad had a 'wild west' show and forced all of the family to perform. One of the things he did was knife throwing.