Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Go in wearing a Philip Schoffiled t-shirt and camp it up and see what happens.

Do you know that they definitely don't hire straight men and that he definitely got the job because he is gay? It could be simple nepotism and she's doing him a favour.
I made the same Phil T Shirt joke to the Mrs last night lol .. we both once worked for the exact same company, he's one of my Mrs best mates so she'd tell me if there was some nepotism going on because he'd have told her I reckon? .. I was openly verbally told I wasn't going to be hired specifically because I was male.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
I made the same Phil T Shirt joke to the Mrs last night lol .. we both once worked for the exact same company, he's one of my Mrs best mates so she'd tell me if there was some nepotism going on because he'd have told her I reckon? .. I was openly verbally told I wasn't going to be hired specifically because I was male.
That does sound a bit crappy if he's just getting the job because he's gay, I'd imagine perverts and weirdos who abuse the elderly are going to regardless of orientation. Not hiring men full stop is understandable though.

Swifty

Reaction score
That does sound a bit crappy if he's just getting the job because he's gay, I'd imagine perverts and weirdos who abuse the elderly are going to regardless of orientation. Not hiring men full stop is understandable though.
Nah .. he's good at his job (basically although a shit 'team player') so I'm not blaming him at all, it's just the blatant double standard from the employers .. I was even told there and then that, because I was male, I wasn't going to be hired because the interviewer's Mum was once sent a male carer which she wasn't comfortable about .. again fair enough .. but this gay man's also male and was hired?

Last edited:

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
Nah .. he's good at his job (basically although a shit 'team player') so I'm not blaming him at all, it's just the blatant double standard from the employers ..
I agree, I worded that poorly, it' shitty if you and other straight men are being discriminated against, just as it would be if gay men (or anyone else) were excluded.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
:eek::oops::eek::oops:

NSFW:

[s
nnck465umrf41.jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
And It’s certain that the pain, rage and humiliation would make the aggressor slink quietly away instead of inflicting grievous bodily harm on the victim.
It may cause a few moments of disorientation that may allow the victim to get away.
In fact, the Rapex isn't harsh enough. Perhaps it should perform a total penectomy.

IamSundog

Not insane
Reaction score
It may cause a few moments of disorientation that may allow the victim to get away.
In fact, the Rapex isn't harsh enough. Perhaps it should perform a total penectomy.
Perhaps. I’m not arguing against it, just wondering whether it might backfire and up the level of violence.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
You'd think a hard knee in the bollocks would be just as effective, and less pricey. But I'm no expert.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
You'd think a hard knee in the bollocks would be just as effective, and less pricey. But I'm no expert.
an option available only in some circumstances.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I was referring to it comparison to the vagina dentata option detailed above.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Now thats going too far.

I think the men of the world should just go on strike...they have each other these days after all.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
What is it about bad weather that brings out the idiots?
Climbers in trainers rescued in Ben Nevis blizzard
Rescuers said four people helped from Ben Nevis were lucky to be alive.
They said the group who were caught in blizzard conditions had "no ice axes, no crampons and as far as we are aware no maps". Three of them were wearing trainers
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51447226

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I heard on the news today that, as the flood water was rising in Mythholmroyd, the council used the old air raid sirens to warn people.
Good idea. But as these are the same sirens that were to be used in the event of a nuclear attack (4 minute warning) I should imaging it caused a certain number of 'brown trouser' events amongst those old enough to remember the Cold War days.
I certainty remember the time that Bradford accidentally set off the alarm in the seventies. A blood-chilling time was had by all.

INT21.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
I heard on the news today that, as the flood water was rising in Mythholmroyd, the council used the old air raid sirens to warn people.
Good idea. But as these are the same sirens that were to be used in the event of a nuclear attack (4 minute warning) I should imaging it caused a certain number of 'brown trouser' events amongst those old enough to remember the Cold War days.
I certainty remember the time that Bradford accidentally set off the alarm in the seventies. A blood-chilling time was had by all.

INT21.
I was teaching in a school once and the air raid sirens went off. The pupils asked me what they were and I explained their old use and how they were now the four minute warning. After I’d finished we just got on with the rest of the lesson.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... I certainty remember the time that Bradford accidentally set off the alarm in the seventies. A blood-chilling time was had by all.
I was teaching in a school once and the air raid sirens went off. The pupils asked me what they were and I explained their old use and how they were now the four minute warning. After I’d finished we just got on with the rest of the lesson.
I posted about my own experience when a Cold War siren glitch made a group of us believe the end was nigh, to which we resumed singing with added gusto ...

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/noises-that-have-scared-you.62063/post-1687734

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score

INT21.
Is the four minute warning network still in place and operative? From my decade or so living in the Calder Valley, I was led to believe that the flood sirens were dedicated pieces of equipment, but that doesn't mean they were not repurposed. (Apparently, in Hull in the 1980s, children's playground equipment was fitted with rear saddles from Russian motorbikes....)

Speaking of Russia, I once woke up in Krasnodar to the sound of the air raid sirens. Turns out it was a test, but that wasn't the most relaxing morning I ever spent.

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
Surely modern nukes are much more efficient? Perhaps it is now only the Three Minute Warning.
You'd think so, right? But the B-52 first flew in 1952. Mind you, the M2 machine gun dates all the way back to WW1. As a classic vehicle enthusiast, I find there's something quite piquant about such old machinery still being in active service.

As for flight times between the UK and Russia, when I first started using that route on a fairly regular basis, the timetabled duration between London and Moscow was three hours. These days it's four. (I assume they fly slower to save on fuel.) So perhaps we're actually looking at a Five Minute Warning.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
You'd think so, right? But the B-52 first flew in 1952. Mind you, the M2 machine gun dates all the way back to WW1. As a classic vehicle enthusiast, I find there's something quite piquant about such old machinery still being in active service.

As for flight times between the UK and Russia, when I first started using that route on a fairly regular basis, the timetabled duration between London and Moscow was three hours. These days it's four. (I assume they fly slower to save on fuel.) So perhaps we're actually looking at a Five Minute Warning.
Proof that the Earth is expanding.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Now that 'Dancing With the Stars' is back on T.V (Strictly Come Dancing for those in the U.K) perhaps this lively tome may be needed...
dancing-with-jesus_orig.jpg

According to it's website:
Singing hymns of praise is standard practice—now it's time to set your feet a-tapping with a collection of original dance moves inspired by Jesus and the likes of Moses and John the Baptist.

Dances include: the Water Walk, the Temptation Tango, the Judas Hustle, and The Apostolic Conga. Each dance move is outlined with: how to, inspiration, and an illustration. Slyly irreverent but ultimately festive, Dancing with Jesus is illustrated in full color. Best of all, two of the dances are animated for full effect by a lenticular cover and last-spread finale, making this a truly one-of-a-kind novelty item!

http://www.weirdshityoucanbuy.com/dancing-with-jesus-book.html

Swifty

Reaction score
Now that 'Dancing With the Stars' is back on T.V (Strictly Come Dancing for those in the U.K) perhaps this lively tome may be needed...
View attachment 23198
According to it's website:
Singing hymns of praise is standard practice—now it's time to set your feet a-tapping with a collection of original dance moves inspired by Jesus and the likes of Moses and John the Baptist.

Dances include: the Water Walk, the Temptation Tango, the Judas Hustle, and The Apostolic Conga. Each dance move is outlined with: how to, inspiration, and an illustration. Slyly irreverent but ultimately festive, Dancing with Jesus is illustrated in full color. Best of all, two of the dances are animated for full effect by a lenticular cover and last-spread finale, making this a truly one-of-a-kind novelty item!

http://www.weirdshityoucanbuy.com/dancing-with-jesus-book.html
Wow, look at him go!

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score