Things That Make You Go... WTF?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I think it's safe to assume this parcel wasn't something Mr. Williams was awaiting from Amazon ...
Box of bear cubs bewilders man at North Carolina home

It was a bear-y baffling discovery in front of a North Carolina home.

Cornelius Williams returned home from the grocery store Tuesday night and heard a squeaky noise coming from a cardboard box left in his walkway, WTKR-TV reported.

It was dark outside, so Williams called authorities for help. A deputy approached the box, peered inside and to his surprise — he found two newborn bear cubs.

Bears are no stranger to Camden County, Sheriff Kevin Jones said. But, he said finding cubs in a box was “a little strange.”

Williams wasn’t sure why he was left to bear with the box of blanket-wrapped cubs, but they are out of his paws now.

The bears were taken to the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro to be examined and cared for, news outlets reported.
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/66d6b635362a48a98014339b404bce03

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
We've all been there to be fair .. we get home, two bear cubs in a box on your porch, you're tired, you can't find your front door key, you forgot to buy the milk ..
... you think "thank god someone ordered kebabs..."...

Swifty

There's a community care company in Cromer that won't hire straight men but will hire gay men. I'm not making this up.

Care companies (I was told 5 years ago when I sat through a lengthy interview to apply there with the business owner) are exempt from sexual discrimination law because the job sometimes involves intimate care with female service users who might get embarrassed. I remember thinking fair enough at the time even though I'd done this work before and at a higher skilled NHS level as well as previous community work caring for both males and females.

I was politely shown the door despite being enhanced CRB checked a few times over.

A gay man I know (and I'm not being prejudiced against him) has just been given a job by the same woman. Presumably he's less likely to sexually attack old women than I was?! .. She told me she didn't hire men? ..

Swifty

I can't wait for Mick Jagger and Ozzy Osbourne to get on in this new game .. and Steve Tyler ..
"When I first met Steve Tyler, his teeth were green and he had shit in his pants", said a groupie in an interview I saw somewhere. I can't remember where it was because of the crazy rock'n'roll lifestyle I lead, but something tells me that it was on telly and I was in my living room at the time. Might have been Channel 4.

"When I first met Steve Tyler, his teeth were green and he had shit in his pants", said a groupie in an interview I saw somewhere. I can't remember where it was because of the crazy rock'n'roll lifestyle I lead, but something tells me that it was on telly and I was in my living room at the time. Might have been Channel 4.
Well, it's better than his pants being green and there being shit in his teeth.

There's a community care company in Cromer that won't hire straight men but will hire gay men. I'm not making this up.

Care companies (I was told 5 years ago when I sat through a lengthy interview to apply there with the business owner) are exempt from sexual discrimination law because the job sometimes involves intimate care with female service users who might get embarrassed. I remember thinking fair enough at the time even though I'd done this work before and at a higher skilled NHS level as well as previous community work caring for both males and females.

I was politely shown the door despite being enhanced CRB checked a few times over.

A gay man I know (and I'm not being prejudiced against him) has just been given a job by the same woman. Presumably he's less likely to sexually attack old women than I was?! .. She told me she didn't hire men? ..
Go in wearing a Philip Schoffiled t-shirt and camp it up and see what happens.

Do you know that they definitely don't hire straight men and that he definitely got the job because he is gay? It could be simple nepotism and she's doing him a favour.

Swifty

Go in wearing a Philip Schoffiled t-shirt and camp it up and see what happens.

Do you know that they definitely don't hire straight men and that he definitely got the job because he is gay? It could be simple nepotism and she's doing him a favour.
I made the same Phil T Shirt joke to the Mrs last night lol .. we both once worked for the exact same company, he's one of my Mrs best mates so she'd tell me if there was some nepotism going on because he'd have told her I reckon? .. I was openly verbally told I wasn't going to be hired specifically because I was male.

I made the same Phil T Shirt joke to the Mrs last night lol .. we both once worked for the exact same company, he's one of my Mrs best mates so she'd tell me if there was some nepotism going on because he'd have told her I reckon? .. I was openly verbally told I wasn't going to be hired specifically because I was male.
That does sound a bit crappy if he's just getting the job because he's gay, I'd imagine perverts and weirdos who abuse the elderly are going to regardless of orientation. Not hiring men full stop is understandable though.

Swifty

That does sound a bit crappy if he's just getting the job because he's gay, I'd imagine perverts and weirdos who abuse the elderly are going to regardless of orientation. Not hiring men full stop is understandable though.
Nah .. he's good at his job (basically although a shit 'team player') so I'm not blaming him at all, it's just the blatant double standard from the employers .. I was even told there and then that, because I was male, I wasn't going to be hired because the interviewer's Mum was once sent a male carer which she wasn't comfortable about .. again fair enough .. but this gay man's also male and was hired?

Last edited:
Nah .. he's good at his job (basically although a shit 'team player') so I'm not blaming him at all, it's just the blatant double standard from the employers ..
I agree, I worded that poorly, it' shitty if you and other straight men are being discriminated against, just as it would be if gay men (or anyone else) were excluded.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
And It’s certain that the pain, rage and humiliation would make the aggressor slink quietly away instead of inflicting grievous bodily harm on the victim.
It may cause a few moments of disorientation that may allow the victim to get away.
In fact, the Rapex isn't harsh enough. Perhaps it should perform a total penectomy.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
You'd think a hard knee in the bollocks would be just as effective, and less pricey. But I'm no expert.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Now thats going too far.

I think the men of the world should just go on strike...they have each other these days after all.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
What is it about bad weather that brings out the idiots?
Climbers in trainers rescued in Ben Nevis blizzard
Rescuers said four people helped from Ben Nevis were lucky to be alive.
They said the group who were caught in blizzard conditions had "no ice axes, no crampons and as far as we are aware no maps". Three of them were wearing trainers
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51447226

INT21

Antediluvian
I heard on the news today that, as the flood water was rising in Mythholmroyd, the council used the old air raid sirens to warn people.
Good idea. But as these are the same sirens that were to be used in the event of a nuclear attack (4 minute warning) I should imaging it caused a certain number of 'brown trouser' events amongst those old enough to remember the Cold War days.
I certainty remember the time that Bradford accidentally set off the alarm in the seventies. A blood-chilling time was had by all.

INT21.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
I heard on the news today that, as the flood water was rising in Mythholmroyd, the council used the old air raid sirens to warn people.
Good idea. But as these are the same sirens that were to be used in the event of a nuclear attack (4 minute warning) I should imaging it caused a certain number of 'brown trouser' events amongst those old enough to remember the Cold War days.
I certainty remember the time that Bradford accidentally set off the alarm in the seventies. A blood-chilling time was had by all.

INT21.
I was teaching in a school once and the air raid sirens went off. The pupils asked me what they were and I explained their old use and how they were now the four minute warning. After I’d finished we just got on with the rest of the lesson.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... I certainty remember the time that Bradford accidentally set off the alarm in the seventies. A blood-chilling time was had by all.
I was teaching in a school once and the air raid sirens went off. The pupils asked me what they were and I explained their old use and how they were now the four minute warning. After I’d finished we just got on with the rest of the lesson.
I posted about my own experience when a Cold War siren glitch made a group of us believe the end was nigh, to which we resumed singing with added gusto ...

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/noises-that-have-scared-you.62063/post-1687734