Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
I heard on the news today that, as the flood water was rising in Mythholmroyd, the council used the old air raid sirens to warn people.
Good idea. But as these are the same sirens that were to be used in the event of a nuclear attack (4 minute warning) I should imaging it caused a certain number of 'brown trouser' events amongst those old enough to remember the Cold War days.
I certainty remember the time that Bradford accidentally set off the alarm in the seventies. A blood-chilling time was had by all.

INT21.
Is the four minute warning network still in place and operative? From my decade or so living in the Calder Valley, I was led to believe that the flood sirens were dedicated pieces of equipment, but that doesn't mean they were not repurposed. (Apparently, in Hull in the 1980s, children's playground equipment was fitted with rear saddles from Russian motorbikes....)

Speaking of Russia, I once woke up in Krasnodar to the sound of the air raid sirens. Turns out it was a test, but that wasn't the most relaxing morning I ever spent.

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
Surely modern nukes are much more efficient? Perhaps it is now only the Three Minute Warning.
You'd think so, right? But the B-52 first flew in 1952. Mind you, the M2 machine gun dates all the way back to WW1. As a classic vehicle enthusiast, I find there's something quite piquant about such old machinery still being in active service.

As for flight times between the UK and Russia, when I first started using that route on a fairly regular basis, the timetabled duration between London and Moscow was three hours. These days it's four. (I assume they fly slower to save on fuel.) So perhaps we're actually looking at a Five Minute Warning.

You'd think so, right? But the B-52 first flew in 1952. Mind you, the M2 machine gun dates all the way back to WW1. As a classic vehicle enthusiast, I find there's something quite piquant about such old machinery still being in active service.

As for flight times between the UK and Russia, when I first started using that route on a fairly regular basis, the timetabled duration between London and Moscow was three hours. These days it's four. (I assume they fly slower to save on fuel.) So perhaps we're actually looking at a Five Minute Warning.
Proof that the Earth is expanding.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Now that 'Dancing With the Stars' is back on T.V (Strictly Come Dancing for those in the U.K) perhaps this lively tome may be needed...
dancing-with-jesus_orig.jpg

According to it's website:
Singing hymns of praise is standard practice—now it's time to set your feet a-tapping with a collection of original dance moves inspired by Jesus and the likes of Moses and John the Baptist.

Dances include: the Water Walk, the Temptation Tango, the Judas Hustle, and The Apostolic Conga. Each dance move is outlined with: how to, inspiration, and an illustration. Slyly irreverent but ultimately festive, Dancing with Jesus is illustrated in full color. Best of all, two of the dances are animated for full effect by a lenticular cover and last-spread finale, making this a truly one-of-a-kind novelty item!

http://www.weirdshityoucanbuy.com/dancing-with-jesus-book.html

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Now that 'Dancing With the Stars' is back on T.V (Strictly Come Dancing for those in the U.K) perhaps this lively tome may be needed...
View attachment 23198
According to it's website:
Singing hymns of praise is standard practice—now it's time to set your feet a-tapping with a collection of original dance moves inspired by Jesus and the likes of Moses and John the Baptist.

Dances include: the Water Walk, the Temptation Tango, the Judas Hustle, and The Apostolic Conga. Each dance move is outlined with: how to, inspiration, and an illustration. Slyly irreverent but ultimately festive, Dancing with Jesus is illustrated in full color. Best of all, two of the dances are animated for full effect by a lenticular cover and last-spread finale, making this a truly one-of-a-kind novelty item!

http://www.weirdshityoucanbuy.com/dancing-with-jesus-book.html
Wow, look at him go!

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Really? The non-money costs of metals and gems are huge. Isn't an attempt to tackle this useful? It's the same problem as surrounds granite kitchen surfaces.

If she preached poverty and self-denial you'd be criticising her for that too. Lack of self-awareness?

You won't read this because it's the Grauniad :p TLDR (child) slavery etc etc etc

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...at-withdraw-granite-worktops-slavery-concerns

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
There's plenty of "WTF factor" to go around in this story. For one thing, I'm confused how anyone could don their helmet without noticing there was something else inside. Another thing that confuses me is why the fellow decided to destroy a helmet that had brought him good fortune ...
Man finds venomous snake in helmet after 7-mile ride

An India man said he took a nearly 7-mile ride on his motorcycle before discovering a venomous snake inside his helmet.

KA Ranjith said he rode his motorcycle to St. Mary's High School in Kandanad, where he works as a teacher, and removed his helmet to discover a venomous snake known as a common krait was coiled up inside.

Ranjith went to a local hospital, where doctors determined he had not been bitten or otherwise injured by the snake.

Ranjith said he decided to destroy his helmet in a fire and replace it.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...-helmet-after-7-mile-ride/8101581533031/?sl=2

INT21

Antediluvian
Just downloaded Libreoffice. It's a big file.

Sat there 12 minutes; twiddling thumbs.

Download complete.

Want to install it ? of course.

'Sorry, this version can't be installed on this computer. Needs to be W7 or later'.

I run XP.

Thanks, documentfoundation.org. Why didn't you check for compatibility before the download.

INT21.

INT21

Antediluvian
Actually, I already have Libreoffice installed on my very fast Linux machine (running Opensuse 13) but there is a slight snag.
It times out after about 10 minute. So if I am thinking about things for too long it blanks the screen and asks me for the root password. And (Blushes violently) I've forgotten where I recorded it.

So I can't get back in without shutting the whole thing down and restarting.

I need to remove the installation and re-install Opensuse. This time getting the password tattooed on my forearm.

But there is a 'slight problem' there as well.

Not been a good computer year so far.

INT21.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Just one of those days where things go awry. I was annoyed with a few things about work - a meeting yesterday which was a waste of time and that left a colleague and myself feeling royally pissed off - nothing huge, but it was nagging away. And when I was in town in the afternoon a bird pooped on my head - annoying, but I guess it was a pigeon and not a seagull, so it was a mess but it didn't cover my whole head.

And then, when I got home, I was just about to have a shower (I had bird poop residue on my head) when my father called – my mother had fallen and he wanted me to help. I have no problems about helping my parents, but my father has an emergency number he can call (that he pays for) but he still calls me first (who you gonna call – a 56-year-old cycling journo or somebody who can get a paramedic to you sharpish?); so I help my frail and dementia-suffering 86-year-old mother up – she weighs nothing but she was very awkward to lift – and get her into a chair. In the fall she'd torn a lot of skin from her arm and her carer, who arrived just after me, agreed that it needed dressing (not serious enough for the doctor or 999 but it needed attention). So I drove to our local Sainsbury's, which has a pharmacist, only to find they had no dressings, bandages or antiseptic spray – I didn't want to rub cream into her skin.

Tomorrow I'll make sure my father calls the doctor to make sure that my mother is looked at properly.

Whinge over. I'm pleased my parents are still hanging in there (even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes!) but it can be stressful at times...

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Four tourists were rescued from near the summit of Ben Nevis on Monday. Yes, Monday past, right in the middle of storm Ciara. Obviously three of them were only wearing trainers and none of them had a map. They subsequently made a donation to mountain rescue but I would still have left them up there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51447226

Rescuers said four people helped from Ben Nevis were lucky to be alive.

They said the tourists who were caught in blizzard conditions had "no ice axes, no crampons and as far as we are aware, no maps". Three of them were wearing trainers.

Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team found them near the summit of the mountain.

All four were taken by helicopter from part-way down the mountain to be checked over at Belford Hospital in Fort William.

Inverness Coastguard helicopter, Rescue 151, could not be used near the summit because of the severity of the conditions.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Four tourists were rescued from near the summit of Ben Nevis on Monday. Yes, Monday past, right in the middle of storm Ciara. Obviously three of them were only wearing trainers and none of them had a map. They subsequently made a donation to mountain rescue but I would still have left them up there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51447226
I disagree.
They could have brought the bodies down in the summer.
But yes some two dozen people putting their lives at risk for four idiots, they shouldn't need to do it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I would still have left them up there.
Mountain Rescue will never leave anyone up there, no matter how stupidly they've behaved. My former brothers in law do both Cave and Mountain Rescue. They go out to save people from danger - and occasionally from their own stupidity - because they can. They are strong and skilled. Also, they might need help themselves some day.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Bring them down, but leave them in no doubt that many people thought you shouldn't have.

I was once hiking in the Pyrenees, all simple stuff in beautiful weather, but it changed unbelievably fast. From clear blue with wispy to hail and then lightning. We had only 'day equipment' and had to seek shelter.

Have never made the same mistake again. Experienced something similar in Snowdonia years later.