Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
You've answered my post before I altered it but yeah, maybe Billy also had a repressed upbringing? .. and this 100 year old woman.
I remember now, he said if he had a terminal illness he'd do it as there would be no long term effects.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
He may have been many things but fashion design wasn't one of George S. Patton's skills.
Funnily enough, Patton did design his own uniform in the 30s while a cavalry commander (I forget the rank and unit).

I think Jim Gavin said it best when he opined that the movie Patton was much better than the actual Patton.

He was a brown-noser who married into great wealth and spent a lot of his time toadying to influential men.

Definitely some skill on the battlefield, but an unpleasant man; he also had an absurdly squeaky voice, although that was hardly his fault.

I'm a great admirer of Ike (plus Bedell-Smith), and Brad was a mostly reliable commander, but Patton--like McArthur--spoiled whatever positive traits they had with excessive preening.

Which ineluctably leads to Monty, who is actually one of my heroes, but I'd take one pre-Normandy Monty for ten post-, for the same reason as above.

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Sorry for waking your cat up.
Don't worry - it gets him back for sticking his claws into my leg earlier. Btw he's not really my cat, he was a feral cat from County Cork that my late ex-mil brought over with her when she moved here. He's still quite wild and you can't make any sudden moves near him.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Don't worry - it gets him back for sticking his claws into my leg earlier. Btw he's not really my cat, he was a feral cat from County Cork that my late ex-mil brought over with her when she moved here. He's still quite wild and you can't make any sudden moves near him.
No cat truly belongs to anyone. They're pricks like that.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My ex had/has (?) no criminal record but she once declared to me that one day, when she's an old woman, she's going to try heroin ..

I'm not sure why? .. she'd once attended an all girls boarding school and felt repressed there so I think that was it .. making up for a lost childhood or something.
That would most likely be pretty final.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
My ex had/has (?) no criminal record but she once declared to me that one day, when she's an old woman, she's going to try heroin ..

I'm not sure why? .. she'd once attended an all girls boarding school and felt repressed there so I think that was it .. making up for a lost childhood or something.
Reading Debbie Harry's autobiography, and she said she took up smoking tobacco in her 60s, though the reason seems to be sheer bad behaviour. She'd already dabbled in heroin decades before.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

She could snort it rather than shooting up, it's safer.

I'd recommend trying most things when you get old, if you've missed out when younger.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reading Debbie Harry's autobiography, and she said she took up smoking tobacco in her 60s, though the reason seems to be sheer bad behaviour. She'd already dabbled in heroin decades before.
Smoking is bad for the complexion so she did well there. I'm over 60 but would still not smoke!

Swifty

She could snort it rather than shooting up, it's safer.

I'd recommend trying most things when you get old, if you've missed out when younger.
Or she could chase the dragon on tinfoil which would be the 'best' of a bad lot I suppose .. none of the above would be preferable of course.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Or she could chase the dragon on tinfoil which would be the 'best' of a bad lot I suppose .. none of the above would be preferable of course.
Many of the disadvantages of heroin use* don't apply to older people. An occasional snort/chase probably wouldn't do any harm. Especially if it's not intravenous.

*Like getting a criminal record/bad name, spending the rent money, potentially ruining health longterm, having to steal to pay for it, etc.

INT21

Antediluvian
Many of the disadvantages of heroin use* don't apply to older people. An occasional snort/chase probably wouldn't do any harm. Especially if it's not intravenous.

*Like getting a criminal record/bad name, spending the rent money, potentially ruining health longterm, having to steal to pay for it, etc.
Druggies must be more susceptible to things like virus infection.

So every cloud does have a silver lining.

Swifty

I know that heroin without needles isn't actually physically bad for you, you know that heroin without needles isn't actually physically bad for you (social factors through it being illegal are bad for you) ... but let's not tell the squares .. heroin does rob people of having any empathy for other people but fortunately they're too munted to become full on pro active sociopaths, they just rob you instead.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Panic buying - during the weekly shop today, people were loitering around the toiletries aisle, waiting for the toilet paper to be restocked - I heard one woman complain she "only had two weeks supply left" - and when the stock appeared five minutes later, there was a rush to that end of the shop, as if there was never going to be supplies ever again, and despite being told there was a limit of paper per customer, people were leaving with 78 rolls...

This could either be in this thread or in the whine thread. It fits both threads...