Things That Make You Go... WTF?

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Panic buying - during the weekly shop today, people were loitering around the toiletries aisle, waiting for the toilet paper to be restocked - I heard one woman complain she "only had two weeks supply left" - and when the stock appeared five minutes later, there was a rush to that end of the shop, as if there was never going to be supplies ever again, and despite being told there was a limit of paper per customer, people were leaving with 78 rolls...

This could either be in this thread or in the whine thread. It fits both threads...
I really don't understand the panic buying of toilet rolls, seems a bit Freudian to me....massive arseholes ?

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
I really don't understand the panic buying of toilet rolls, seems a bit Freudian to me....massive arseholes ?
It makes them feel like their in control of a situation that either frightens them or they have little understanding of. Or just greed - the "I better get in first before there's nothing left for me" mentality.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Panic buying - during the weekly shop today, people were loitering around the toiletries aisle, waiting for the toilet paper to be restocked - I heard one woman complain she "only had two weeks supply left" - and when the stock appeared five minutes later, there was a rush to that end of the shop, as if there was never going to be supplies ever again, and despite being told there was a limit of paper per customer, people were leaving with 78 rolls...

This could either be in this thread or in the whine thread. It fits both threads...
This is what's come down to. People have lost their minds and in some instances, all sense of decency.
Look at this fight that occurred in a Sydney supermarket this morning:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...s/news-story/00f35a88267641bdca1b999ac1828cc8

The actual video is out there if you want to see it.

Last edited:

michael59

Abominable Snowman

Are people just panic buying tp, or is there some reason for you guys to be storing supplies?

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
It makes them feel like their in control of a situation that either frightens them or they have little understanding of. Or just greed - the "I better get in first before there's nothing left for me" mentality.
Yes, that's probably it, I still don't understand why its always toilet roll, don't these people know that socks have a secondary emergency use ?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
A minor question. My brain won't grasp the whole thing!

Why have they got painted on sideburns?
I think they're stylised stripes, perhaps supposed to evoke some kind of SS association.

It's the fact that this is an event planned months in advance that beggars belief.

The number of people who must have said, 'Oh, Holocaust theme? Sounds interesting' must be quite significant.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
My WTF was going into Poundland for some emergency corona virus sweeties and as I passed through they had condoms in 12 packs for a pound!
Stock up, they'll soon sell out!

safety fingers.jpg

Coronavirus crisis: Condoms sell out in Singapore due to coronavirus fears

Several people have taken to social media to show pictures of empty shelves that would otherwise contain the rubber contraception.
And some have revealed the cause behind the stockpiling is that people are using as makeshift gloves to prevent the spread of the virus.
Not sure I believe this but it's funny!

However, today a colleague was seen to be wearing rubber gloves at work. He reckons he's not getting caught out!
Maybe he ran out of johnnies.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Are people just panic buying tp, or is there some reason for you guys to be storing supplies?
No reason at all really. It was suggested a couple of weeks back by the government, that when doing the weekly shopping, adding a few extra staples each week as a precaution, should the worst happen with the Coronavirus, would be prudent.
A good portion of the general public and the stupid have interpreted this to mean ''Let's stockpile like Doomsday Preppers and inconvenience everyone else.''

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
No reason at all really. It was suggested a couple of weeks back by the government, that when doing the weekly shopping, adding a few extra staples each week as a precaution, should the worst happen with the Coronavirus, would be prudent.
A good portion of the general public and the stupid have interpreted this to mean ''Let's stockpile like Doomsday Preppers and inconvenience everyone else.''
I've finished my panic room

apanicroom01.jpg

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Two young females sitting in front of me on the bus this morning. One was saying how worried she was about the Coronavirus and her pal said "Don't be stupid, you won't get it. It's only Chinese people who get it." Her pal replied, "Oh, that's ok then."
If we're holding a contest for the stupidest overhead conversation, here's my entry -

Two women stepped into a railway station lift just behind me and briefly discussed which platform they each needed.

One said 'Does the lift stop at all the platforms?'

Gordon Bennett.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
If we're holding a contest for the stupidest overhead conversation, here's my entry -

Two women stepped into a railway station lift just behind me and briefly discussed which platform they each needed.

Gordon Bennett.
Where I worked the cleaners on each floor would clean the lifts - the one on the ground floor would do it, then she'd send it up to the next floor and so on. The head cleaner almost ended up having a breakdown trying to explain to them that only one person had to clean it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Where I worked the cleaners on each floor would clean the lifts - the one on the ground floor would do it, then she'd send it up to the next floor and so on. The head cleaner almost ended up having a breakdown trying to explain to them that only one person had to clean it.
A nice clean lift, that's what I like!

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra

Gordon Bennett.
A lass at my work is now infamous after she asked by boss what day his New Year's Eve party was on.