Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Non-Fortean weirdness: my Windows Media Player will replace some tracks on some albums with tracks of the same number and duration on completely unrelated albums. So. for example, it just replaced: track 9, duration 3:37 with another track 9, duration 3:37. The fact the respective songs are by Slipknot and Kajagoogoo gives it an additional level of WTF.

It's happened at least half a dozen times over the years to my knowledge.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
A flight departing Manchester had to delay take-off and turn back to its gate because of drunk passengers' behavior ...
... TWICE ...
An EasyJet plane was forced to turn back twice because of drunk passengers

An easyJet flight from Manchester, UK to Alicante in Spain was forced to return to its stand twice because of rowdy behavior by passengers.

Two separate groups of passengers were involved in Thursday's incidents, according to a statement from easyJet, which linked the delay to the consumption of alcohol.

"We are aware that some passengers were drinking their own alcohol onboard and prior to flight in the terminal," the airline said.

"Police met the aircraft to remove the passengers before it continued to Alicante."

Flight EZY1919 eventually landed in Spain more than 3.5 hours behind schedule. ...
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/easyjet-manchester-disturbances-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
I don't recall reading or hearing of anyone trying to drive around with license plates more than two decades out-of-date.
A driver was pulled over with expired 1997 license plate tags. He says he's been busy

You might be too busy to go to the grocery store, visit your parents or eat a good breakfast.

But one Louisiana man told police he's been too busy to renew his tags -- for almost 23 years.

A Slidell Police Department officer pulled over a man for an expired license plate that hadn't been renewed since 1997 ...

When the officer asked the man why, the driver replied, "Sorry, officer. I've been busy lately and totally forgot to renew my vehicle registration. I will take care of it as soon as I get home," police said.

Louisiana drivers are required to renew their tags every two years. ...
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09/us/driver-expired-license-plate-tags-police-busy-trnd/index.html

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Non-Fortean weirdness: my Windows Media Player will replace some tracks on some albums with tracks of the same number and duration on completely unrelated albums. So. for example, it just replaced: track 9, duration 3:37 with another track 9, duration 3:37. The fact the respective songs are by Slipknot and Kajagoogoo gives it an additional level of WTF.

It's happened at least half a dozen times over the years to my knowledge.
Is that set to random play or shuffle?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
The most WTF thing about it is the pendulous breasts (or whatever they are).
It's obscure and complicated ... The "breasts" are supposed to represent udders containing light-than-air gas - a feature of a whale predecessor species that evolved to take to the skies instead of returning to the seas.

The explanation for how sculptor Patricia Piccinini arrived at this design was documented on the original Skywhale website (now defunct) ...

In thinking about this, Patricia was struck by the scale of the balloon. The only animals she could think of that approached that sort size were dinosaurs and whales. Whales have always fascinated Patricia, because they are one of those amazing evolutionary stories. They have evolved from small hoofed dogs, to the largest animal in the history of the Earth. They are mammals, yet they live in the sea. Like all mammals they came originally from the sea, but unlike most, they went back. The idea of a flying whale seems extraordinary, but not so much more so than the idea of a gigantic, aquatic mammal. What if those small hoofed dogs went in a different direction and took to the sky? Whales have this majestic, benign grandeur, but how could they fly? ...

Wings didn't make sense to Patricia; the creature was too big and the technical limitations of balloon design wouldn't allow them anyway. So she took a cue from the balloon itself, and imagined that the creature might somehow secrete a lighter than air gas. In the place of wings she imagined huge udders that might contain the gas, as well as a huge bulbous body. She imagined the creature with a slightly more human face, with a calm benign expression that would inspire empathy rather than fear. Her aim was to create a being that was massive and wondrous and that exists somewhere between the impossible and the unlikely.
SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130609044207/http://www.theskywhale.com/process.html

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Is there any chance that the file attributes of the songs in question contain the wrong album and/or artist name?

When you view them in Windows Media Player, are they in the albums/artistes that you expect them to be in?

They're not accidentally on some playlist or summat, are they? And you're playing that rather than the album? Just thinking random thoughts aloud here.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Is there any chance that the file attributes of the songs in question contain the wrong album and/or artist name?

When you view them in Windows Media Player, are they in the albums/artistes that you expect them to be in?

They're not accidentally on some playlist or summat, are they? And you're playing that rather than the album? Just thinking random thoughts aloud here.
They have literally been moved/swapped.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
In these times of shortage, let us gaze upon...The Family Cloth

It's washable/reusable toilet roll made of cloth. Many American families use it.

If you're not already familiar with the concept of a family cloth, it's pretty simple: It's a cost-effective, eco-friendly system in which you wipe with cloth wipes instead of toilet paper, and then wash and reuse them for as long as they last.
'Let's also set the record straight: Individuals who use family cloth do not only have *a* single piece of cloth. We have dozens of smallish strips of cloth. Each visit to the toilet gets its own cloth. In each bathroom of our home, there is a container of many clean cloths on top of the tank and a small bin on the floor that we use as a hamper. After each 'go,' we take one cloth, use it, and drop it in the hamper.'
sub-buzz-30166-1520360797-3.jpg

INT21

Antediluvian
The following notice.

From 31 March 2020, YouTube services in the UK will be provided by Google LLC

Yeah, just what we need.