Reaction score

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
My right forearm smells like alcohol. Not like hand sanitizer or anything, more like the smell from a shirt the morning after you've spilled lager on it.

I haven't been in contact with anything alcoholly today, and haven't drank in over a decade, so what can be causing this phenomenon?

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
My right forearm smells like alcohol. Not like hand sanitizer or anything, like the smell from a shirt the morning after you've spilled lager on it.

I haven't been in contact with anything alcoholly today, and haven't drank in over a decade, so what can be causing this phenomenon?

Have a wash, change your clothes, leave it for a bit and reassess.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Have a wash, change your clothes, leave it for a bit and reassess.
I've cleaned the arm. I am wearing a brand new tshirt, wonder if that's somehow causing it, maybe some kind of substance used in the making of the tshirt.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
My right forearm smells like alcohol. Not like hand sanitizer or anything, more like the smell from a shirt the morning after you've spilled lager on it.

Are you right handed? If so it is no doubt masturbation related.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've cleaned the arm. I am wearing a brand new tshirt, wonder if that's somehow causing it, maybe some kind of substance used in the making of the tshirt.
New clothes often do have traces of chemicals on them. From production and sometimes packing for transit.

I always recommend people wash, or even a rinse through with cold water, new clothes.

When I worked in clothing retail we had a MASSIVE amount of overstocked items in our warehouse. Once out of season it might be stored for weeks, months or even a year, just sat on rails. We had some items sat around for a couple of years because head office stupidity regarding our branches ability to sell it.

Anyway when this stock finally got moved it would give off a powerfully strong aroma that sometimes smelled like floor cleaner but mostly smelled like weed.

Colleagues from other departments would walk past our stock area and ask if we'd been smoking!

If we were sorting it or even working near it for stretches of time we would often get powerful headaches, and it would trigger asthma in people.

It was not the the musty, dusty clothes smell you find in charity shops or an old wardrobe.

So anyway. Not much help to you but it could've been the clothes. Always wash new clothes before wearing.

Or maybe you brushed up against a plant or a tree? Box hedge sometimes smells like cats piss!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I dunno if it's done with clothing but when I worked for a company that used to import vast quantities of ironmongery and 'homewares' from China, the containers were treated to fumigation somewhere on their journey to make sure nothing nasty came along with them.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
We drove through an area of the city that we seldom visit the other day and I spotted an upmarket ceramics shop almost adjacent to a (similarly upmarket) department store. When I clocked the name over the window, as we passed by, I did a literal double-take.

Unless I misread it: Pol Pottery!

I will come back with photographic evidence next time I'm nearby.

Right up there with 'Human Furniture' from a few years back.

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
I dunno if it's done with clothing but when I worked for a company that used to import vast quantities of ironmongery and 'homewares' from China, the containers were treated to fumigation somewhere on their journey to make sure nothing nasty came along with them.
Never mind clothing, they do it with people, too! At any rate, when intercontinental flying was still a thing, there would always be a moment as we approached the UK from south-east Asia when the cabin crew would walk down the aisle with an aerosol can in each hand, spraying some unidentified chemical into the air.

It felt like performative racism - they could hardly have made the "you dirty foreigners" message any clearer - so I'd love to know if there was any credible grounds for what seemed like a very ineffective approach. Just what were they spraying, and why?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Never mind clothing, they do it with people, too! At any rate, when intercontinental flying was still a thing, there would always be a moment as we approached the UK from south-east Asia when the cabin crew would walk down the aisle with an aerosol can in each hand, spraying some unidentified chemical into the air.

It felt like performative racism - they could hardly have made the "you dirty foreigners" message any clearer - so I'd love to know if there was any credible grounds for what seemed like a very ineffective approach. Just what were they spraying, and why?
This site suggests it's insecticide as sanctioned by the WHO to combat Malaria & Zeka virus in flights from countries affected by either/both.

Also this from US Dept of Transportation.

The DOT’s Aircraft Disinsection Requirements address health concerns by pointing to the 1995 Report of the Informal Consultation on Aircraft Disinsection, which concluded that the practice, if performed appropriately, "would not present a risk to human health," while acknowledging that "some individuals may experience transient discomfort following aircraft disinsection by aerosol application."

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It makes sense really it's just yet another of those things we don't think about until we need to.
With regard to textiles I was told they are treated with formaldehyde to protect against mildew and molds whilst wrapped in plastic on cargo ship from Bangladesh. Particularly for natural fabrics like cotton.
Having just looked it up it would seem to be true!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wikihow.com/Remove-Formaldehyde-from-Clothing?amp=1

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
This site suggests it's insecticide as sanctioned by the WHO to combat Malaria & Zeka virus in flights from countries affected by either/both.

Also this from US Dept of Transportation.
Thank you! Your google-fu is way better than mine, I never did manage to get a meaningful result.

The "if performed appropriately" caveat is interesting - it was the blasé way they'd sashay down the plane spraying away that seemed remarkably careless, as though they knew there was no real point to what they were doing. I'll go look up disinsection, now.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Thank you! Your google-fu is way better than mine, I never did manage to get a meaningful result.

The "if performed appropriately" caveat is interesting - it was the blasé way they'd sashay down the plane spraying away that seemed remarkably careless, as though they knew there was no real point to what they were doing. I'll go look up disinsection, now.
They could at least explain what they're doing & why..