Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
One sauce combination I came to love is okonomiyaki sauce and kewpie mayonnaise.
Specifically on oknomiyaki (a Japanse savoury pancake-ish kind of thing), you drizzle the sauce in one direction and then the mayo at 90 degrees to it. You can replace the okono sauce with either teriyaki or even hoi sin.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
One sauce combination I came to love is okonomiyaki sauce and kewpie mayonnaise.
Specifically on oknomiyaki (a Japanse savoury pancake-ish kind of thing), you drizzle the sauce in one direction and then the mayo at 90 degrees to it. You can replace the okono sauce with either teriyaki or even hoi sin.
My wife sometimes cooks that for me when I'm drinking beer at home. Tastes great, top ballast.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
It's that time again...

Time for escargot to shoehorn a barely-relevant anecdote into a perfectly serious thread! :D

Early one morning on way to work I once saw an Alsatian dog nip down its house front path and up next door's and nick a bottle of sterilised milk off the step.

It then carried the bottle back down the path, stood on the footpath and carefully bit the metal cap off.

After spitting the cap out it lifted the bottle in its mouth by the open end, tipped it up and guzzled the lot without spilling a drop.
About 10 years ago I had to run an errand early on a Sunday morning. I took a shortcut through a tucked-away little area of the East End of Glasgow about 930am and saw a guy on his 30s standing on the pavement drinking a can of lager while chipping a football up for his dog to header back to him.

It makes my list of the most Glaswegian things I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
We drove through an area of the city that we seldom visit the other day and I spotted an upmarket ceramics shop almost adjacent to a (similarly upmarket) department store. When I clocked the name over the window, as we passed by, I did a literal double-take.

Unless I misread it: Pol Pottery!

I will come back with photographic evidence next time I'm nearby.

Right up there with 'Human Furniture' from a few years back.
polpot.jpg

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing ruins your daily jog like encountering a decomposing human head ...
Florida jogger finds decomposing human head on side of the road

A woman out for a run in St. Petersburg, Florida, came across a decomposing human head on the side of the road on Tuesday, according to police.

Homicide detectives are searching a wooded area ... , while police are asking for the public's help.

"We are asking the public if they saw anything suspicious, to let us know," St. Petersburg Police Public Information Officer Yolanda Fernandez told CNN by phone. "We've had a few tips come in and we're tracking them down."

Due to the state of the remains, police have not been able to ascertain the age, gender, or ethnicity of the deceased individual.

Police believe the incident occurred in the last 48 hours because the jogger told them she ran in the same area on Sunday and saw nothing unusual. The head was spotted in a grassy area under an overpass around 7 a.m., police said, adding that no video surveillance exists nearby. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/us/florida-jogger-head/index.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing ruins your daily jog like encountering a decomposing human head ...
... Unless it's having a notably venomous snake appear in your vehicle and get aggressive, you try to fight it off and finally kill it, you then race toward the hospital thinking you've only got minutes left, and then a cop pulls you over for speeding.

This Jimmy fellow was having one massively bad day ...
Australian man fights off one of the world's deadliest snakes while driving on highway

When a traffic officer pulled over a pickup truck on an Australian highway, he didn't expect to find one of the world's deadliest snakes inside.

The driver, a 27-year-old man identified only as "Jimmy" in a police news release published Tuesday, was heading down the Dawson Highway in the state of Queensland at 100 kilometers per hour (62 mph) when he noticed a reptile in the vehicle.

It was an eastern brown snake -- highly venomous, and responsible for the majority of snakebite deaths in Australia.

"The more I moved my legs ... it just started to wrap around me. Its head just started striking at the (driver's seat) chair, between my legs," Jimmy said in the news release.

He then used a seat belt and a nearby knife to fight it off -- while trying to stop the car.

Jimmy thought he had been bitten in the ensuing tussle, and feared for his life. Eastern brown snake bites are fast-acting and fatal, and the venom can cause paralysis and bleeding into the brain.

So Jimmy killed the snake, hit the accelerator and headed for the nearest hospital. That's when a police officer spotted his car, driving at 123 kilometers per hour (about 76 mph) and pulled him over.

"A brown snake or a tiger snake is in the back of the ute (truck), I think it has bitten me, it was in the car with me," Jimmy can be heard saying as the officer pulled up, in a video released by police Tuesday. "You can feel my heart, mate."

The officer saw the dead snake lying in the back of the truck and called for help. When paramedics arrived, they determined Jimmy had not been bitten, but was suffering from shock.

"It was pretty terrifying, I've never been so happy to see red and blue lights," Jimmy said in the video.
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/australia/australia-driver-snake-speeding-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

CALGACUS03

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
"The more I moved my legs ... it just started to wrap around me. Its head just started striking at the (driver's seat) chair, between my legs," Jimmy said in the news release.
Reminds me of the old joke:

Two Australians are hiking in the outback when one gets bit on the crotch by a snake. His friend calls 000 and asks what to do. The responder says to put his mouth on the bite and suck the venom out. He promptly hangs up the phone and his friend says "what did they say"

He replies, "You're gonna die sport"

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Down with this sort of thing.
Doncaster baby owl webcam 'banned by Facebook over sex and nudity rule'
  • 7 July 2020
copyrightGRAHAM MOSSImage captionGraham Moss set up the live stream of the owls as a Covid-19 lockdown project
Video of nesting baby owls was temporarily removed by Facebook for apparently breaking rules on nudity and sexual activity, the page's owner said.
The live stream was set up by Graham Moss, who started sharing cute pictures of the owls in his Doncaster garden during the coronavirus lockdown.
He claimed his Brockholes Wildlife Diary's (sic) page was blocked despite having no inappropriate content.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-engla...mYdouYwuEzjeI3srRI6mEkAbR3z4ckz0oKw1hWrbxcxOA

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
We drove through an area of the city that we seldom visit the other day and I spotted an upmarket ceramics shop almost adjacent to a (similarly upmarket) department store. When I clocked the name over the window, as we passed by, I did a literal double-take.

Unless I misread it: Pol Pottery!

I will come back with photographic evidence next time I'm nearby.

Right up there with 'Human Furniture' from a few years back.
CIMG4140.JPG

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
If the dead, the cats, and / or the dead cats get the right to vote, then God help us all ...
Deceased cat gets voter registration application in mail

In a presidential election year, there’s always a push to get people registered to vote.

For one Atlanta family, that push got a little interesting.

Ron Tims said he checked his mail Wednesday and found a voter registration application addressed to Cody Tims — his cat, who died 12 years ago.

“A great cat, indoor and outdoor, loved his family, loved his neighborhood. He was 18 and a half when he passed away,” Carol Tims told WAGA-TV.

The Tims were surprised, and a bit amused when they saw what Cody received in the mail. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/fbcec393dc652a9ccdb2cc8aacb15895