Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Razor blades...why did a Wilkinson Sword once last forever and now, if I’m lucky, I might get three weeks out of one. Nothing worse than pulling a surprisingly blunt razor across your face when two days ago it was absolutely fine and sharp.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Here's a weird thing men/women thing.

Women of my acquaintance have told me over the years that their husbands'/male partners' voices seem to become too loud as they get older. I often heard my own mother tell my father his voice was so loud in conversation, it hurt her ears.
She'd say 'Lower your voice!' and he'd get annoyed.

My idea was that the men were going deaf as they grew older and raising their voices.
However, you'd think this might also happen to women.

Also, external causes of deafness like noisy industrial environments cause the problem right away. A sufferer would go deaf at a younger age and not suddenly in their 60s. They hardly notice and usually adapt well to some hearing loss.

Anyway... it's now happening to me. Techy's speaking voice is so loud, it hurts my ears. I thought it was perhaps because he often has to explain things to a group across an office so automatically raises the volume, but he isn't shouting, he just booms.
I've started having to ask him to lower his voice, as I saw my mother do.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's something about older women's ears.
I've certainly realised that of late I'm sometimes talking embarrassingly loud. I blame it on the tinnitus.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I've certainly realised that of late I'm sometimes talking embarrassingly loud. I blame it on the tinnitus.
Men start talking louder because they realise their partners are going deaf but are to polite or scared of bringing it up. If, for example, a man is asked ‘does my bum look big in this?’, the best way to answer is to shout loudly, ‘The house? Yes!’.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Some degree of hearing loss is a normal side-effect of aging - particularly once one passes age 60.

It's entirely possible the loudness trend is all due to Techy, but it could also be you ...

Sensitivity to noise - including the perception of voices as too loud after a conversation starts - can also be a sign of hearing loss or age-related ear issues. This may seem counter-intuitive, but it's real ... For example, some folks are particularly sensitive to lower-pitched sounds, and these sounds seem louder when sensitivity to higher frequencies diminishes.

If this sensitivity to the loudness of his (and / or others') voice has increased in a short period of time it may be worth your while to have your hearing checked.
I've had my hearing checked in the last couple of years, no problems then or ever.
It's Techy talking more loudly, no doubt about that, but it seems to happen between couples of the age I'm at. Thats what puzzles me.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The restoration of a prized 15th Century painting has revealed the "human-like face of a lamb", surprising art critics and spurring debate.
The Ghent Altarpiece, completed by Hubert and Jan Van Eyck in 1432, has captivated the art world for centuries.
This new Live Science article provides much more detail on the changes wrought by the 2019 restoration.
Spooky, soul-piercing 'Jesus Lamb' face is exactly what its original artists intended

Restoration of a 15th-century painting of a sheep representing the sacrifice of Jesus had the internet freaking out earlier this year over the Jesus lamb's uncannily human expression, which had been covered up by conservation work dating to centuries ago. New analysis of the painting reveals how and why that unnerving face was hidden from view.

The sheep — which is also bleeding from a chest wound into a golden chalice — appears in the centerpiece of an 18-panel religious painting called "The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb," painted by brothers Jan and Hubert Eyck in 1432. The Mystic Lamb's newly revealed face is eerily human and far creepier than the previous face, with forward-facing eyes and an expression that looks appalled with your terrible life choices.

However, the sheep's face now looks more like it did when it was first painted, art experts conducting the restoration said in a statement. Non-invasive imaging analysis of the painting revealed how overpainting had changed the original. The Lamb's new face, framed by ears that are positioned lower on its head, replaces a more naturalistic expression that was added during restoration work in the 16th century, according to the statement. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/art-restoration-mystic-jesus-lamb.html

See Also:

The statement (cited above) from the folks who analyzed and restored the painting ...
Eyckian Lamb of God reveals her secrets

Two non-invasive chemical imaging modalities were employed to help understand the changes made over time to the Lamb of God, the focal point of the Ghent Altarpiece (1432) by Hubert and Jan Van Eyck. Two major results were obtained: a prediction of the facial features of the Lamb of God that had been hidden beneath non-original overpaint dating from the 16th century (and later), and evidence for a smaller earlier version of the Lamb's body with a more naturalistic build. These non-invasive imaging methods, combined with analysis of paint cross-sections and magnified examination of the paint surface, provide objective chemical evidence to understand the extent of overpaints and the state of preservation of the original Eyckian paint underneath. ...
FULL STATEMENT: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-07/uoa--elo072320.php

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It's got a bit of a lip-filler trout-pout going on.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Here's a weird thing men/women thing.

Women of my acquaintance have told me over the years that their husbands'/male partners' voices seem to become too loud as they get older. I often heard my own mother tell my father his voice was so loud in conversation, it hurt her ears.
She'd say 'Lower your voice!' and he'd get annoyed.

My idea was that the men were going deaf as they grew older and raising their voices.
However, you'd think this might also happen to women.

Also, external causes of deafness like noisy industrial environments cause the problem right away. A sufferer would go deaf at a younger age and not suddenly in their 60s. They hardly notice and usually adapt well to some hearing loss.

Anyway... it's now happening to me. Techy's speaking voice is so loud, it hurts my ears. I thought it was perhaps because he often has to explain things to a group across an office so automatically raises the volume, but he isn't shouting, he just booms.
I've started having to ask him to lower his voice, as I saw my mother do.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's something about older women's ears.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...en,normal conversation, as uncomfortably loud.

More likely a stress issue - I'm not suggesting you are anxious or pissed off I'm wondering as women physically age then they are less tolerant to background stress.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I live in a thinly sound-proofed flat and I can hear the man downstairs talking. I can't or extremely rarely hear the woman. In fact I haven't seen her in a while and am beginning to wonder if she is still down there! Maybe men just have louder voices?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Men start talking louder because they realise their partners are going deaf but are to polite or scared of bringing it up. If, for example, a man is asked ‘does my bum look big in this?’, the best way to answer is to shout loudly, ‘The house? Yes!’.
I thought the best way to answer was to shout "Half past three"? .. I've been doing this all wrong.

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
First old hearing impaired person of unspecified gender.... "Isn't it windy"
Second old hearing impaired person of unspecified gender..... "No i think it's Thursday"
First old hearing impaired person of unspecified gender ....."Yes so am I lets have a cup of tea."

Really they were two old ladies but w.t.f.

CarlosTheDJ

Sio Bibble
Reaction score
Went out for a jolly teatime cycle down to the beach in the scorching sun, and bombed through cloud after cloud of flying bloody ants. They were consistently committing suicide on me for the whole 10 miles.

I looked like a windscreen when I got home.

Our balcony is carpeted in the little corpses too. It had a new coat of waterproofing on the deck a couple of weeks ago which takes ages to cure, and is still slightly tacky in direct sun. It seems to have acted like a giant flypaper.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I get the feeling that COVID-related stress has left this man one dot short of an ellipsis ...
Man fires gun in Miami hotel because people weren't social distancing, police say

A South Florida man fired a gun at a Miami Beach hotel after police say he became enraged over a mother and son’s lack of social distancing.

Douglas Marks, 29, was arrested Tuesday on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, use of a firearm to commit a felony and discharging a firearm in public. Jail records show he’s being held at Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center on $11,000 bond.

The incident occurred Monday evening in the lobby of Crystal Beach Suites on Collins Avenue. Marks noticed a woman, later identified as Veronica Pena, sitting on a couch with her son. He approached the two and told them to leave.

“You all aren’t social distancing,” Marks barked, according to the arrest report.

Ignoring him, Pena and her son didn’t move. She then overheard Marks say, “Let me take care of them, I have two people not following directions,” before he grabbed a black firearm and let off several shots, according to Miami Beach police.

No one was injured.

Marks later admitted to the shooting, saying that he did so because someone was following him. He also claimed to have asked the hotel front desk to call 911 before firing “four warning shots,” the report says.
FULL STORY: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...en-t-social-distancing-police-say/ar-BB17lylv

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I get the feeling that COVID-related stress has left this man one dot short of an ellipsis ...

FULL STORY: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...en-t-social-distancing-police-say/ar-BB17lylv
As I said some months ago:

Although we've seen some asinine behaviour, I'm surprised there hasn't been very much violence yet. A lot of people today live--mentally speaking--on the edge, and an event like this is the equivalent of any number of supermoons or Ruby Ridges.

I expect to see some truly bizarre reactions as this societal lockdown grinds on into weeks. I'm thinking here of not just violence between neighbours and people streaking down the road, but more of the kind we saw with the engine-driver attempting to crash his train into the hospital ship in New York. A lot of people were scarcely equipped to deal with modern life before this snow-globe shaking took place; I'm certain that we are going to see some truly spectacular reactions in the coming months.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
cloud after cloud of flying bloody ants
Indeed. I went to sit out in my back garden for half an hour at about 6.30pm and it was like watching one of those films of a swarm of locusts. But it was ants instead.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Went out for a jolly teatime cycle down to the beach in the scorching sun, and bombed through cloud after cloud of flying bloody ants. They were consistently committing suicide on me for the whole 10 miles.

I looked like a windscreen when I got home.

Our balcony is carpeted in the little corpses too. It had a new coat of waterproofing on the deck a couple of weeks ago which takes ages to cure, and is still slightly tacky in direct sun. It seems to have acted like a giant flypaper.
The little sods re-emerged here (Midlands) yesterday, too. I say "re-emerged", because we had a spate of them a couple of weeks ago. Sunday 12th, IIRC. I always thought "flying ant day" was an annual event - don't tell me that those winged bastards could pop up any time they like...

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yep. Flying ant swarm outside work yestetday at 5.30. Urgh.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The little sods re-emerged here (Midlands) yesterday, too. I say "re-emerged", because we had a spate of them a couple of weeks ago. Sunday 12th, IIRC. I always thought "flying ant day" was an annual event - don't tell me that those winged bastards could pop up any time they like...
Second wave innit.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
H

Hmm... the car suffers no damage, flies over the railing without touching it, immediately engages 1st gear and accelerates with a rate that would shame an F1 car. Did I mention the lack of damage?!
There's certainly no damage to the flat-bed lorry, yes.