Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm having a tidy up and I found a piece of paper, in my writing; on one side it says Trebuchey Operator, 25 metres, throws 40kg, 1/2 a km, automated, family business.

on the other side of the paper it says; red pepper + feta cheese + spam.

o_O i have no idea......

plastic wiganer

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
in a similar vein my mate found a hand written note in his pocket that simply had 1lbp&b on it - it took us a while to figure out it just meant 1 LB (pound) of Pork and Beef sausages ! lol

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Reaction score
in a similar vein my mate found a hand written note in his pocket that simply had 1lbp&b on it - it took us a while to figure out it just meant 1 LB (pound) of Pork and Beef sausages ! lol
I once found myself in Tesco, looking at my shopping list on which I'd written 'tins'. Had no idea what I meant, until I got home and realised I'd meant 'tinned goods, like beans, chick peas and tomatoes'

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here's a weird thing men/women thing.

Women of my acquaintance have told me over the years that their husbands'/male partners' voices seem to become too loud as they get older. I often heard my own mother tell my father his voice was so loud in conversation, it hurt her ears.
She'd say 'Lower your voice!' and he'd get annoyed.

My idea was that the men were going deaf as they grew older and raising their voices.
However, you'd think this might also happen to women.

Also, external causes of deafness like noisy industrial environments cause the problem right away. A sufferer would go deaf at a younger age and not suddenly in their 60s. They hardly notice and usually adapt well to some hearing loss.

Anyway... it's now happening to me. Techy's speaking voice is so loud, it hurts my ears. I thought it was perhaps because he often has to explain things to a group across an office so automatically raises the volume, but he isn't shouting, he just booms.
I've started having to ask him to lower his voice, as I saw my mother do.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's something about older women's ears.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I read once that the reason couples go deaf in old age is because they become so fed up with hearing the same old complaints from their other half after decades, that its an evolutionary response to enable staying together.:rollingw:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I think it's where the saying "cop a deaf 'un" stems from.
If you hear something you either don't like, or don't agree with, rather than get into some protracted debate or argument, you just pretend you didn't hear it.
Sometimes in a workplace setting somebody might make some work-related suggestion to me and I will look them straight in the eye and say "what was that?"
And they'll repeat themselves.
And i'll make a sound like "huh? what?"
And then it dawns on them that I'm deliberately unable to hear them.
'Selective hearing' i've heard it called before.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I read once that the reason couples go deaf in old age is because they become so fed up with hearing the same old complaints from their other half after decades, that its an evolutionary response to enable staying together.:rollingw:
After many years of cajoling, my Dad finally got a pair of hearing aids a couple of years before he died.
He'd leave them switched off, probably because my Mum rambles on and on incessantly.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I don't think this chap has been mentioned on here before.

As a kid, I loved the idea of Chemistry! So much so that I adorned my exercise book with illustrations in praise of Alchemy. Even at that age, I shirked the equations involved in real science. I loved the smells, though - and the sense of danger. Ah, fuming cabinets!

Meet "NileRed" - a Canadian Chemistry prodigy - OK, he isn't quite as young as he looks. He knows his stuff well enough to have started from a garage and set up his own lab. on the strength of his Youtube revenue. Just imagine, for a moment, what he would be doing if this revenue-stream was not available!

Here, he makes his favourite compound, which has "all the fun qualities a compound can have!"

It's Toxic, Carcinogenic, Corrosive & Explosive! :oops:

Last edited:

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Women of my acquaintance have told me over the years that their husbands'/male partners' voices seem to become too loud as they get older. I often heard my own mother tell my father his voice was so loud in conversation, it hurt her ears.

My idea was that the men were going deaf as they grew older and raising their voices.

Also, external causes of deafness like noisy industrial environments cause the problem right away. A sufferer would go deaf at a younger age and not suddenly in their 60s. They hardly notice and usually adapt well to some hearing loss.

Anyway... it's now happening to me. Techy's speaking voice is so loud, it hurts my ears. I thought it was perhaps because he often has to explain things to a group across an office so automatically raises the volume, but he isn't shouting, he just booms.

YES I DO LIKE CORNED BEEF

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... My idea was that the men were going deaf as they grew older and raising their voices.

Some degree of hearing loss is a normal side-effect of aging - particularly once one passes age 60.

It's entirely possible the loudness trend is all due to Techy, but it could also be you ...

Sensitivity to noise - including the perception of voices as too loud after a conversation starts - can also be a sign of hearing loss or age-related ear issues. This may seem counter-intuitive, but it's real ... For example, some folks are particularly sensitive to lower-pitched sounds, and these sounds seem louder when sensitivity to higher frequencies diminishes.

If this sensitivity to the loudness of his (and / or others') voice has increased in a short period of time it may be worth your while to have your hearing checked.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
MrsCarlos got hearing aids recently, at 53 years old. Too much clubbing and loud music probably.

I'm still convinced she got them to turn my blathering down.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Shane Carruth, cult sci-fi film director (Primer, Upstream Color) is revealed as a maniac abuser:
News story

He seems to have revealed this himself to scupper the goodwill for his victim Amy Seimetz's new project, which is out soon. I don't really understand the workings of his mind (or his films for that matter), but I'm glad a recent interview said he'd never make another film. Can't think why.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Razor blades...why did a Wilkinson Sword once last forever and now, if I’m lucky, I might get three weeks out of one. Nothing worse than pulling a surprisingly blunt razor across your face when two days ago it was absolutely fine and sharp.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score

I've certainly realised that of late I'm sometimes talking embarrassingly loud. I blame it on the tinnitus.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I've certainly realised that of late I'm sometimes talking embarrassingly loud. I blame it on the tinnitus.
Men start talking louder because they realise their partners are going deaf but are to polite or scared of bringing it up. If, for example, a man is asked ‘does my bum look big in this?’, the best way to answer is to shout loudly, ‘The house? Yes!’.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Some degree of hearing loss is a normal side-effect of aging - particularly once one passes age 60.

It's entirely possible the loudness trend is all due to Techy, but it could also be you ...

Sensitivity to noise - including the perception of voices as too loud after a conversation starts - can also be a sign of hearing loss or age-related ear issues. This may seem counter-intuitive, but it's real ... For example, some folks are particularly sensitive to lower-pitched sounds, and these sounds seem louder when sensitivity to higher frequencies diminishes.

If this sensitivity to the loudness of his (and / or others') voice has increased in a short period of time it may be worth your while to have your hearing checked.
I've had my hearing checked in the last couple of years, no problems then or ever.
It's Techy talking more loudly, no doubt about that, but it seems to happen between couples of the age I'm at. Thats what puzzles me.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The restoration of a prized 15th Century painting has revealed the "human-like face of a lamb", surprising art critics and spurring debate.
The Ghent Altarpiece, completed by Hubert and Jan Van Eyck in 1432, has captivated the art world for centuries.
This new Live Science article provides much more detail on the changes wrought by the 2019 restoration.
Spooky, soul-piercing 'Jesus Lamb' face is exactly what its original artists intended

Restoration of a 15th-century painting of a sheep representing the sacrifice of Jesus had the internet freaking out earlier this year over the Jesus lamb's uncannily human expression, which had been covered up by conservation work dating to centuries ago. New analysis of the painting reveals how and why that unnerving face was hidden from view.

The sheep — which is also bleeding from a chest wound into a golden chalice — appears in the centerpiece of an 18-panel religious painting called "The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb," painted by brothers Jan and Hubert Eyck in 1432. The Mystic Lamb's newly revealed face is eerily human and far creepier than the previous face, with forward-facing eyes and an expression that looks appalled with your terrible life choices.

However, the sheep's face now looks more like it did when it was first painted, art experts conducting the restoration said in a statement. Non-invasive imaging analysis of the painting revealed how overpainting had changed the original. The Lamb's new face, framed by ears that are positioned lower on its head, replaces a more naturalistic expression that was added during restoration work in the 16th century, according to the statement. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/art-restoration-mystic-jesus-lamb.html

See Also:

The statement (cited above) from the folks who analyzed and restored the painting ...
Eyckian Lamb of God reveals her secrets

Two non-invasive chemical imaging modalities were employed to help understand the changes made over time to the Lamb of God, the focal point of the Ghent Altarpiece (1432) by Hubert and Jan Van Eyck. Two major results were obtained: a prediction of the facial features of the Lamb of God that had been hidden beneath non-original overpaint dating from the 16th century (and later), and evidence for a smaller earlier version of the Lamb's body with a more naturalistic build. These non-invasive imaging methods, combined with analysis of paint cross-sections and magnified examination of the paint surface, provide objective chemical evidence to understand the extent of overpaints and the state of preservation of the original Eyckian paint underneath. ...
FULL STATEMENT: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-07/uoa--elo072320.php

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...en,normal conversation, as uncomfortably loud.

More likely a stress issue - I'm not suggesting you are anxious or pissed off I'm wondering as women physically age then they are less tolerant to background stress.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I live in a thinly sound-proofed flat and I can hear the man downstairs talking. I can't or extremely rarely hear the woman. In fact I haven't seen her in a while and am beginning to wonder if she is still down there! Maybe men just have louder voices?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Men start talking louder because they realise their partners are going deaf but are to polite or scared of bringing it up. If, for example, a man is asked ‘does my bum look big in this?’, the best way to answer is to shout loudly, ‘The house? Yes!’.
I thought the best way to answer was to shout "Half past three"? .. I've been doing this all wrong.