Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
First old hearing impaired person of unspecified gender.... "Isn't it windy"
Second old hearing impaired person of unspecified gender..... "No i think it's Thursday"
First old hearing impaired person of unspecified gender ....."Yes so am I lets have a cup of tea."

Really they were two old ladies but w.t.f.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Went out for a jolly teatime cycle down to the beach in the scorching sun, and bombed through cloud after cloud of flying bloody ants. They were consistently committing suicide on me for the whole 10 miles.

I looked like a windscreen when I got home.

Our balcony is carpeted in the little corpses too. It had a new coat of waterproofing on the deck a couple of weeks ago which takes ages to cure, and is still slightly tacky in direct sun. It seems to have acted like a giant flypaper.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I get the feeling that COVID-related stress has left this man one dot short of an ellipsis ...
Man fires gun in Miami hotel because people weren't social distancing, police say

A South Florida man fired a gun at a Miami Beach hotel after police say he became enraged over a mother and son’s lack of social distancing.

Douglas Marks, 29, was arrested Tuesday on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, use of a firearm to commit a felony and discharging a firearm in public. Jail records show he’s being held at Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center on $11,000 bond.

The incident occurred Monday evening in the lobby of Crystal Beach Suites on Collins Avenue. Marks noticed a woman, later identified as Veronica Pena, sitting on a couch with her son. He approached the two and told them to leave.

“You all aren’t social distancing,” Marks barked, according to the arrest report.

Ignoring him, Pena and her son didn’t move. She then overheard Marks say, “Let me take care of them, I have two people not following directions,” before he grabbed a black firearm and let off several shots, according to Miami Beach police.

No one was injured.

Marks later admitted to the shooting, saying that he did so because someone was following him. He also claimed to have asked the hotel front desk to call 911 before firing “four warning shots,” the report says.
FULL STORY: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...en-t-social-distancing-police-say/ar-BB17lylv

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I get the feeling that COVID-related stress has left this man one dot short of an ellipsis ...

FULL STORY: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...en-t-social-distancing-police-say/ar-BB17lylv
As I said some months ago:

Although we've seen some asinine behaviour, I'm surprised there hasn't been very much violence yet. A lot of people today live--mentally speaking--on the edge, and an event like this is the equivalent of any number of supermoons or Ruby Ridges.

I expect to see some truly bizarre reactions as this societal lockdown grinds on into weeks. I'm thinking here of not just violence between neighbours and people streaking down the road, but more of the kind we saw with the engine-driver attempting to crash his train into the hospital ship in New York. A lot of people were scarcely equipped to deal with modern life before this snow-globe shaking took place; I'm certain that we are going to see some truly spectacular reactions in the coming months.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Went out for a jolly teatime cycle down to the beach in the scorching sun, and bombed through cloud after cloud of flying bloody ants. They were consistently committing suicide on me for the whole 10 miles.

I looked like a windscreen when I got home.

Our balcony is carpeted in the little corpses too. It had a new coat of waterproofing on the deck a couple of weeks ago which takes ages to cure, and is still slightly tacky in direct sun. It seems to have acted like a giant flypaper.
The little sods re-emerged here (Midlands) yesterday, too. I say "re-emerged", because we had a spate of them a couple of weeks ago. Sunday 12th, IIRC. I always thought "flying ant day" was an annual event - don't tell me that those winged bastards could pop up any time they like...

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The little sods re-emerged here (Midlands) yesterday, too. I say "re-emerged", because we had a spate of them a couple of weeks ago. Sunday 12th, IIRC. I always thought "flying ant day" was an annual event - don't tell me that those winged bastards could pop up any time they like...
Second wave innit.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
H

Hmm... the car suffers no damage, flies over the railing without touching it, immediately engages 1st gear and accelerates with a rate that would shame an F1 car. Did I mention the lack of damage?!
There's certainly no damage to the flat-bed lorry, yes.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
That car, and the transporter, and the police car, and everything surrounding it, would've been smashed to bits, and debris would have gone everywhere. If that's an actual film of something that happened then I'm the Dalai Lama.
But it looks good.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's take the dog for an early morning walk ... Just leave the clothes at home ... If the cops challenge us we'll show 'em what's what ... ????!! ...
Nude Couple Walking Dog Busted After Violent Tangle With Massachusetts Cops

A nude couple tangled with police after they were spotted strolling with their dog early Monday morning near their Massachusetts home.

Responding to 911 calls about the naked duo, cops encountered the couple around 6:30 AM. Investigators say that Mariel Kinney, 32, and Kevin Pinto, 30, were accompanied by their dog Lucy as they walked near their home in Hopkinton, a town 30 miles west of Boston.

When police questioned Kinney and Pinto about their state of undress, the pair allegedly became confrontational after answering some questions incoherently. After yelling and swearing at police, the couple sought to run away from officers, but they were quickly corralled.

What followed, cops charge, was a violent scrum during which Kinney and Pinto struck Hopkinton Police Department officers (one of whom required treatment for minor injuries) ...

... They were each charged with indecent exposure, assault and battery on a police officer, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, and disturbing the peace. ...
FULL STORY: http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/massachusetts/dog-walkers-without-clothes-572903

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Man grows 21 foot tall sunflower ...
Then the Metro yesterday showed picture of man on ladder in order "to water it". WTF - why doesn't he water it at the roots ?
This sunflower is being artificially supported so as to reach a height more than twice the recognized maximum height of natural growth.

My guess is that this "stretched" specimen's height prevents the plant from effectively drawing water from roots to crown, and the additional watering from up the ladder is done to prevent its "dying of thirst."

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
This sunflower is being artificially supported so as to reach a height more than twice the recognized maximum height of natural growth.

My guess is that this "stretched" specimen's height prevents the plant from effectively drawing water from roots to crown, and the additional watering from up the ladder is done to prevent its "dying of thirst."
:thought:

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I run a shop.
We have a policy that says if someone enters without a mask, we don't ask. We wear shields. We do what WE can to protect staff and customers. Eight times out of ten without masks, many see our shields and gasp "Oops! I forgot! Hang on ... it's here ..." and put a mask on.
One time out of ten do not bother or comment or ignore. Hey - you're dicks but it's not my job nor right to tell you what to do. We go with the flow.
One time, however, really did hit the "WTF" button.
Came into our shop, I approached wearing a face-shield, and she said to me ...
"Well? Have you got a mask for me?"
I hesitated. Naturally, I think.
"We don't sell masks. It's down to customers to have theirs."
"Fuck it," she said and proceeded to make her selection.

Before having a go at me, take these thoughts on board:
I am not authourised to enforce a law.
I cannot impose a fixed-penalty fine.
I need every penny we earn. I am not willingly going to tell someone not to spend money in our shop.
As long as I can protect staff and any other customer from infection, and I advise customers to the law, I consider my moral duty to be done.

What really made me consider our society is that this woman (husband perched outside) expected US to provide HER with a mask, because she couldn't be bothered, and sounded disgruntled when we didn't give her a mask!
"What? You want my money and yet you can't give me this mask-thing? You want ME to carry one?"

I've never been so close to slapping!

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I run a shop.
We have a policy that says if someone enters without a mask, we don't ask. We wear shields. We do what WE can to protect staff and customers. Eight times out of ten without masks, many see our shields and gasp "Oops! I forgot! Hang on ... it's here ..." and put a mask on.
One time out of ten do not bother or comment or ignore. Hey - you're dicks but it's not my job nor right to tell you what to do. We go with the flow.

I need every penny we earn. I am not willingly going to tell someone not to spend money in our shop.
As long as I can protect staff and any other customer from infection, and I advise customers to the law, I consider my moral duty to be done.

What really made me consider our society is that this woman (husband perched outside) expected US to provide HER with a mask, because she couldn't be bothered, and sounded disgruntled when we didn't give her a mask!
"What? You want my money and yet you can't give me this mask-thing? You want ME to carry one?"

I understand you need purchases but you are under no obligation to serve anyone (like Pub landlords), not even let them enter your shop if you don't like them.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's mandatory for people here in Victoria to wear masks too.
The daughter who works in a supermarket keeps getting disgruntled customers asking where their free masks are,
She politely tells them that everyone has to buy their own and the price of a pack which doesn't please them at all.

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
I run a shop.

Supermarket workers facing torrent of 'mask rage' as historic levels of abuse recorded

Daily Telegraph Link

Almost all confrontations were related to the wearing of face masks with "flashpoints" occurring when people were asked to follow the guidance and when young consumers were asked to remove masks to check ID when buying alcohol

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I understand you need purchases but you are under no obligation to serve anyone (like Pub landlords), not even let them enter your shop if you don't like them.
Very true. But as a small business, we're reluctant to turn money away - especially after months of lock-down. All the time the non-wearer is the one who (in theory) gets fined, we are under no obligation to enforce the law.
Also, we have a responsibility to prevent aggressive confrontation. Unlike big stores, we have no security staff or even additional folks to intervene and if owt was to kick off, in the time it'd take to call the police and (perhaps) they turn up, plenty of ... ah ... mischief could be done. Even then, going on past performance, even if a copper turned up while the aggressor was still in the shop (fat chance) all they'd do is to calm them down and get them out of the shop.
Before anyone likens this to the potential for aggression in an off-license, many other shops do not sell restricted items. We are not fined for non-wearers and, frankly, this is fair. It's not a matter of us selling restricted goods, it would be a matter of us being fined for the actions (or non-actions) of others. And we are not responsible for the stupidity of others.

In theory, it is law and the police may decide to impose a fine but in practice, no one wants to enforce it. It may've been different if compulsory mask-wearing was a condition on allowing shops to re-open but ...

Last edited: