Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
They are just bullies. They like to pick on people who can't answer back. A woman I know with a cafe says she has had one woman coming in for years who just complains about everything all the time. But she still keeps coming!
When I worked in education there was a culture of complaining, even the most trivial thing which could have been dealt with quickly face-to-face would instead become an official complaint to senior management. Of course, all those complaints would be aimed at causing maximum trouble for those right on the lower rung of the ladder.
One lecturer, in particular, was a nightmare - always cancelling classes because:
The blinds were at the wrong angle - official complaint about the janitors.
She had 18 students but there were 20 seats in the room which caused a distraction - official complaint about the janitors.
A lamp in an OHP popped, didn't bother contacting technicians as it's not her place to tell us how to do our jobs and we "should have known" - official complaint about technicians.
Someone in the house across the street had a red car in their driveway - red is an angry colour and distracted her. Security staff told her they had no authority to tell the owner to move their car - official complaint about security staff.

I was chatting to our new Dean about the OHP complaint - the Dean's response was to tell her "It may have escaped your attention but I don't fix projectors, the technicians do and they do it very efficiently so there is no need to cancel any classes."

The Dean also said to me how it was funny that around 80% of her class cancellations always seemed to occur on a Friday and she would be so upset she would have to go home.

That was nipped in the bud and she decided to go back to teaching in schools - lasted one term and retired.

We also had one janitor who would report people for actually doing their jobs and again it was a complaint right to the top so all the shit would trickle down.
Manager: I've just had the head of the department on the phone because the college secretary said the janitor said he saw you in a classroom up a ladder at one of the projectors. What were you doing?
Me; Fixing the projector like you told me to.

I love retirement :)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
When I worked in education there was a culture of complaining, even the most trivial thing which could have been dealt with quickly face-to-face would instead become an official complaint to senior management. Of course, all those complaints would be aimed at causing maximum trouble for those right on the lower rung of the ladder.
One lecturer, in particular, was a nightmare - always cancelling classes because:
The blinds were at the wrong angle - official complaint about the janitors.
She had 18 students but there were 20 seats in the room which caused a distraction - official complaint about the janitors.
A lamp in an OHP popped, didn't bother contacting technicians as it's not her place to tell us how to do our jobs and we "should have known" - official complaint about technicians.
Someone in the house across the street had a red car in their driveway - red is an angry colour and distracted her. Security staff told her they had no authority to tell the owner to move their car - official complaint about security staff.

I was chatting to our new Dean about the OHP complaint - the Dean's response was to tell her "It may have escaped your attention but I don't fix projectors, the technicians do and they do it very efficiently so there is no need to cancel any classes."

The Dean also said to me how it was funny that around 80% of her class cancellations always seemed to occur on a Friday and she would be so upset she would have to go home.

That was nipped in the bud and she decided to go back to teaching in schools - lasted one term and retired.

We also had one janitor who would report people for actually doing their jobs and again it was a complaint right to the top so all the shit would trickle down.
Manager: I've just had the head of the department on the phone because the college secretary said the janitor said he saw you in a classroom up a ladder at one of the projectors. What were you doing?

I love retirement :)
It's wider than that and covers much more than work.

A perfectly reasonable drive towards greater professionalism in business, higher standards in personal behaviour, and quality in goods and services across most of western society has gone on to careen into the weird belief among a surprising number of people that the only acceptable state is perfection. This somewhat unfortunate given the rather slapdash habits of our species.

Personally, while I've had brief moments of perfection in my academic and professional life, in personal relationships, on holidays and in health, I'd say I've had a grand old time cruising along at the level of 'pretty good'; moreover, I think the additional effort of 'making waves' to nudge those 'pretty goods' up to 'perfects' would probably have been counterproductive and have ultimately lessened my enjoyment of those parts of my life.

There are definitely plenty of times when complaint is reasonable, fair and just, when 'keeping quiet' is working against one's own interests, but there's still a lot to be said for getting on with it and making the most of the situation. And if you do complain, you have to consider your aim: is it simply to make somebody feel bad for your disappointment or do you genuinely think it might help rectify the situation?

Personally, if the Victoria sponge is slightly drier than I'd have liked, then I'll just pour another cup of tea and rejoice in the fact that I have both tea and cake in a world where some have neither.

And I'm not a 'glass half full type'; I'm simply conservative in my expectations.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
How dare you do your job! :rollingw:

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
From the Dumbass Design desk in our WTF Were You Thinking bureau ...

FULL STORY: https://www.wcvb.com/article/hasbro...r-complaints-it-promotes-child-abuse/33532879
This sort of thing always makes me try to imagine the series of design decisions, meetings, assessments, more meetings, casual discussions among those involved, still more meetings, and so on, that has to take place before any manufactured article makes it to production. No one ever said, "This is some kind of weird joke, right?" No one at the factory said, "What the hell's the matter with you?" Retailers took a look at it and said, "Oh cool. I'll take a thousand."

I wonder how many trade-ins they'll get. I'm sure many owners will keep them for their value to collectors, real or imaginary.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
South Korean gamer bets on winning a round and agrees to set his crotch afire if he doesn't. He didn't (win ... ). He did (enact the penalty ... ).
South Korean YouTuber sets private parts on fire during gaming livestream, gets 2nd-degree burns

Shin Tae Il, also known as the infamous “angry Korean gamer,” set his crotch area on fire as a penalty for losing a “Fall Guys” game following suggestions of his viewers, as per US-based Korean pop blog Allkpop earlier today, Aug. 8. ...

The deal was for him to set his private parts on fire for five seconds if he did not come in first place for a particular round—so he did. ...

At around the 3-hour-and-15-minute mark of the said livestream, which aired on YouTube on Aug. 6, viewers saw the gamer strip down to only his white shorts and pour lighter fluid all over his privates.

On his first attempt, the gamer set the lighter fluid on fire, causing him to scream and jump in pain. Unfortunately, the whole ordeal lasted for only around three seconds, falling a little short of the imposed penalty.

Tae Il then began pouring more lighter fluid on his crotch area, and reset his timer to properly accept the penalty.

On his second try, which was also the last, the gamer again fell short of the required five seconds, but for completely understandable reasons.

Viewers saw Tae Il scream in pain once again after his crotch area was enveloped by a relatively larger fire, which also burned some of the hairs on his stomach. ...
FULL STORY (With Photo & Video):
https://technology.inquirer.net/102...uring-gaming-livestream-gets-2nd-degree-burns

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
almost all Korean men are circumcised
The joys of research!

There was a Youtube video, since taken down, of an Asian lad spilling a blazing cocktail on his crotch. I linked to it once-upon-a-time. The title of the video was along the lines of "Asian Youth Circumcised!" Surprise, surprise!

I gather that the c-word is now used by video-gamers in much the same way as the annoying "owned!" to celebrate a goal or - especially - to rejoice in an own-goal. :omg:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
The joys of research!

There was a Youtube video, since taken down, of an Asian lad spilling a blazing cocktail on his crotch. I linked to it once-upon-a-time. The title of the video was along the lines of "Asian Youth Circumcised!" Surprise, surprise!

I gather that the c-word is now used by video-gamers in much the same way as the annoying "owned!" to celebrate a goal or - especially - to rejoice in an own-goal. :omg:
I know this firsthand from being the one of three non-Koreans in a room of fifty or so naked men.

The other two pale faces were Jewish.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I know this firsthand from being the one of three non-Koreans in a room of fifty or so naked men.

The other two pale faces were Jewish.
May we ask why you were in a room with so many naked men, or is that prying too much?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
That's an impressive little video. I've witnessed lightning striking trees and utility poles, but I don't think I've ever seen such a "clean take-down" of a tree from a single strike.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
That's an impressive little video. I've witnessed lightning striking trees and utility poles, but I don't think I've ever seen such a "clean take-down" of a tree from a single strike.
l’ve never - blessedly - been close enough to witness a one-strike tree destruction, but l gave an account here of the aftermath of one, and a souvenir thereof which l still possess.

The event must have been similar to that depicted in the video above, especially the violent dispersion of sizeable fragments at high velocity.

maximus otter

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
There were three gas holders (gasometers) behind King's Cross Station near the wetland where a former London mayor played with newts. Remember when the tanks in these holders used to rise or fall depending on how much gas they contained, the weight of the cap providing the pressure ? By the time I saw them about 10 years ago, the tanks were gone but the (listed) holders remained. No-one really knew what to do with the brownfield site but there was fanciful talk of maybe building circular apartments within the frames - oh and some affordable housing of course. Penthouse homes in the Gasholders in King's Cross are now on the market for £7.5 million (rent on a one bedroom flat is £820 a week).

Gasholder1.jpg gasholders.jpg

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Since when has £820 per week been 'affordable'? Probably they mean 'affordable for someone on £200k per year'.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Returning home on the bus from an afternoon of book shopping when I overheard a conversation between two passengers -
Male - Do I know you?
Female - I don't know you, so no.
Male - Would you like to? Unless you have a boyfriend?
Female - No, I am not interested.
Male - Okay then...

I didn't think people tried to chat up people on public transport....
i was chatted up on a bus once, when i was young and had hair and a waistline, by an attractive women, she was chatting, smiling away, rubbing my knee with her hand, in the end she was so taken aback by my indifference she asked if i was gay. No, but i want romance, lingering looks, deep sighs of longing, the 149 bus doesn't cut it for me sadly.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Since when has £820 per week been 'affordable'? Probably they mean 'affordable for someone on £200k per year'.
They'll be one or two flats for local housing authority but the residents will have to use the side door and won't be allowed to use the pool or garden.:mad:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
'Severe' is a bit of an understatement. The people standing in the doorway next to the overflowing torrent seem to be taking things fairly casually.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Owing to the pandemic many American children are starting their new school year via remote learning.

It turns out shootings interrupting school proceedings can occur in the remote learning realm, too.
Zoom class interrupted when student's mother fatally shot

A remote-learning class in Florida was interrupted Tuesday when the mother of an elementary student was shot and killed during an online Zoom session, police said.

The shooting occurred in Indiantown, Fla., during a morning class session for Warfield Elementary and the instructor heard her 10-year-old student reacting to what seemed like a violent commotion behind her ...

Five other children were reportedly in the home while the shooting took place. None of the children were injured. ...

Their mother, Maribel Rosado-Morales, 32, was shot multiple times and died at the hospital.

Martin County Sheriff William Snyder said the suspect, Donald J. Williams, was taken into custody that day and is facing first-degree murder charges and other felony offenses.

"... The teacher said she heard a commotion, heard profanity," Snyder said.

He added that the teacher "realized there was some type of domestic altercation" and muted the 10-year-old's audio feed to protect other children from hearing the incident, adding that the affected child put her hands to her ears.

"Almost immediately after the child put her hands up to her ears, the computer screen went blank. We know the computer was hit with a projectile," Snyder said.

Snyder also said it is likely most of the children in the class witnessed the shooting. ...
SOURCE: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/511674-zoom-class-interrupted-when-students-mother-shot