Things That Make You Go... WTF?

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
I too have spent a number of hours in Hercules aircraft over the years as self-loading cargo and always found them to be damned uncomfortable......bloody noisy and either too damned hot or freezing bloody cold with rather “rudimentary” toilet facilities. That said, probably my most favourite flight was the C130 that transported me out of Iraq! On another occasion I flew into the UK on a US Marine Corps C130 and honestly thought that we had crashed, so hard was the landing......those guys really do like to slam them on the deck!
I flew over the Andes in one!

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
A C130 Hercules doing something that just doesn't seem possible for such a big plane
I'd love to see that in person! I've witnessed this spectacle at least a couple of times, maybe three or four back when I went to every air show I could. The Blue Angels' support crew has a bad ride. They don't do this anymore 'cause they stopped making the Roman candles long ago.

Nemo

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Where has Mr. Yithian's post & my reply to him gone to?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that just for a new fast food burger place? .. am I missing something? ..
In-N-Out Burger is a sort of legendary California fast food chain which has only recently begun spreading eastward. The Aurora location was one of two new locations that were the first In-N-Outs in the state of Colorado.

Whether this is enough novelty to warrant the wait time is a different question. On the other hand, there are a lot of bored people with nothing better to do during these pandemic times.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's see ... This Kansas City guy's checklist for the day's errand(s) ... Felonious possession and transport of meth - check ... Carrying loaded firearm configured to shoot oneself if subjected to impact - check ... Racing motorcycle through city streets - check ... Getting run over by another / anonymous driver - well, that was just coincidental serendipity.
Man with meth crashes bike, accidently shoots self and gets hit by car in KCK

A man is left with critical injuries after a spin on his motorcycle in the Armourdale Neighborhood took a horrible turn on Thursday, November 19.

Police responded to reports of an injury crash in the area of 12th Street and Kansas Avenue, according to a statement on Twitter from the Kansas City, Kansas Police Department.

After investigating, officers found out that a man had been racing his bike when he lost control and wrecked. When he hit the ground, a gun that he had in the waistband of his pants fired, striking him in the hip.

The man was also then struck by another vehicle. The driver fled the scene. ...

The motorcyclist was transported to a hospital with critical but non-life-threatening injuries.

Police discovered that the man was also a felon. When searching his motorcycle, they found a large bag of suspected methamphetamine. ...
FULL STORY: https://fox4kc.com/news/man-with-me...ently-shoots-self-and-gets-hit-by-car-in-kck/

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
While incredibly impressive, my one thought was "Nice to know they can do that but I bet the troops in the back aren't too chuffed!" ;)

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
PNE's Darnell Fisher is in trouble for grabbing an opponents cock at an upcoming corner. When Vinnie Jones did it to Paul Gascione everyone thought it was funny:

Darnell Fisher faces FA probe after grabbing Callum Paterson's genitals | Football News | Sky Sports
Meanwhile, in rugby league, Joel Tomkins has received an eight-game ban for 'inappropriate' contact with an opposition player and 'other contrary behaviour'. Yep, I'd call trying to shove a finger where the sun don't shine inappropriate! Tomkins says he's innocent but the pics don't look great for his case.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/joel-tomkins-ban-super-league-23026030

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in rugby league, Joel Tomkins has received an eight-game ban for 'inappropriate' contact with an opposition player and 'other contrary behaviour'. Yep, I'd call trying to shove a finger where the sun don't shine inappropriate! Tomkins says he's innocent but the pics don't look great for his case.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/joel-tomkins-ban-super-league-23026030
Here's part of Tomkins' denial -

'I've always put my hand up and admitted my mistakes.'
As we know and so does Tomkins' subconscious, the expression is to hold one's hands up.
Paging Prof Freud! :chuckle:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I see this sitting on the shelf, near the gins, next to the absinthe.
It looks very medicinal. Dettol for Alcoholics? Did you try it? I missed the opportunity, when I was in Budapest. :thought:

I'm guessing it's the kind of liqueur which could rest undisturbed for decades in the back of the cabinet.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's the kind of liqueur which could rest undisturbed for decades in the back of the cabinet.
Some of my greatest discoveries have been when I've taken a punt on an unknown booze or brand. Glayva being one, Slivovitz being another.
Because of financial constraints, I don't often try summat out on a whim. On the rare occasion I have done so, and it turns out disgusting, then I see it as a challenge to produce a drinkable cocktail with myself as chief tester. :)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Because of financial constraints, I don't often try summat out on a whim
Nor do I. Yet there came one day when Harpurhey Asda wanted to clear their unwise overstock of green Chartreuse. £2 instead of £20. Greedily, I stocked up, despite a vague memory that it was horrid, its historical cachet notwithstanding.

I could not find a way to make it palatable, so it became the predictable Xmas stocking-filler my relatives dreaded for about twenty years . . . :evillaugh:

I still spot the almost untouched bottles nestling in their collections. :rofl:

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
"'Ware the Jabberwock, my son, otherwise known as the 90% reduction in price, for it will punish you for your snipper-snap!"

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks very medicinal. Dettol for Alcoholics? Did you try it? I missed the opportunity, when I was in Budapest. :thought:
Unicum has a long history. Following a deliberately falsified period of production during the communist era it has once again returned to its roots (and original recipe) ...
Unicum: The extraordinary history of Hungary's national drink

Whether you find yourself in a no-frills kocsma filled with beer-swilling old timers, an elegant cocktail lair or one of Budapest's quirky ruin pubs jammed with tourists, the Hungarian capital's drinking scene has one constant.

Countless times throughout the night, the bartender will reach for the same distinctive, round-bellied bottle.

The inky, amber-tinted liquid inside is called Unicum, and with roots that delve back to the late 18th century, it's one of the most revered national drinks in Hungary.

Like that other boozy Hungarian favorite, the fruit brandy pálinka, Unicum is largely savored as an aperitif or a digestif in shot form.

Produced by Budapest based beverage company Zwack, it's a herbal liqueur comprising a secret blend of more than 40 herbs and spices aged in oak.

Less aggressive than Fernet yet beefier than Jägermeister, thick, bitter Unicum, laced with subtle piney eucalyptus notes, is indeed bracing, a taste that grows delightfully more palatable with each sip according to Unicum brand ambassador Csaba Gulyás.

"It's a bittersweet potion, which isn't easy to enjoy the first time, but then you cross that barrier and it becomes your favorite," says Gulyás. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/unicum-hungary-national-drink/index.html

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

No, didn't buy it. We were after gin & whisky for Christmas gifts. I just happened to see this and found it amusing. Someone must buy it though.

Edit: After reading the description @EnolaGaia so kindly supplied, I think I'll stay well clear. Sounds like the stuff of a mighty hangover to me. I'll leave it to the more robust drinkers amongst us.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Unicom has a long history. Following a deliberately falsified period of production during the communist era it has once again returned to its roots (and original recipe) ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/unicum-hungary-national-drink/index.html
When I lived in Hungary everyone drank palinka. I'd like to report that it was a pleasantly fruity spirit with a surprisingly smooth finish but it's so strong, my overwhelming recollection is sadly of vomit.

Here's a description I found on Google -

To the gentle palate of a white wine drinker, palinka tastes sort of like a slap in the face — rubbing alcohol with a hint of apricot, plum or whatever fruit it was made out of. Given that it is often half-pure alcohol — or more — it is probably best consumed far from an open flame.
Palinka. Bloody TOP drink.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Nor do I. Yet there came one day when Harpurhey Asda wanted to clear their unwise overstock of green Chartreuse. £2 instead of £20. Greedily, I stocked up, despite a vague memory that it was horrid, its historical cachet notwithstanding.

I could not find a way to make it palatable, so it became the predictable Xmas stocking-filler my relatives dreaded for about twenty years . . . :evillaugh:

I still spot the almost untouched bottles nestling in their collections. :rofl:
Green Chartreuse is generally well over 30 quid a bottle now. A friend got into it some years ago for a few weeks. You can definitely acquire the taste for it after the first one..

It's powerful stuff - 55% proof, & is recommended to be consumed extremely cold - keep it in the freezer.

Only two Chartreuse monks know the identity of the 130 plants, how to blend them and how to distill them into this world famous liqueur.
From a review:

Awhile back a French friend of mine told me that the French use it as a fore-cure for a wide variety of ailments. He said if he feels like he is about to get sick (cold/stomach etc) he takes a tablespoon, slowly letting it drip down his throat. The next day its gone or the symptoms minimized. So i tried it and wow, let me tell you it certainly worked for me. It was exactly as he said it was.