Things That Make You Go... WTF?

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Reminds me of a movie I saw a while back about Joseph and Mary. There was a scene where Joseph was talking to a friend about Mary's pregnancy that went something like this:

Friend: It happens all the time. A woman cheats, gets pregnant, and blames it on a devil.

Joseph: But she says it was an angel!

Friend: So she's original.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well, it beats the old "golden shower" he used as an excuse.*
I bet Hera was a feckin' dab hand with the rolling pin at times though with some of his shenanigans, I'd suggest a pair of mole-grips or bolt-cutters!
It might be said that the Gods of a people reflect on the worshipper's ideas and attitudes. If that's the case, it raises a lot of discussion around ancient Greeks and their idea of a satisfying sex life.

* Yeah, I know about the modern interpretation of said ... phenomena. But, really, getting a maiden pregnant by a waterfall of expensive glitter?
"No, s'true. Hera! I never bonked her! Glittery fairy dust and *zoinks*, she gets up the duff!"
"Ain't gonna wash, Zeus. You shagged her, you dirty old man!"
I think that would be more likely to be Maplethorpe lol

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This fellow was apparently attempting to surf his way to the Darwin Awards ceremony ...
Daredevil surfer lucky to be alive after attempting to ride wash of Belfast ferry

THE COASTGUARD in Northern Ireland has issued a stern warning to the public after a surfer was caught attempting to ride the wash of a Belfast ferry.

A rescue team was called in over reports of an individual surfing perilously close to the Stena Superfast ferry.

After the ship sent out an emergency alert, the man managed to paddle back to shore at Holwood, Co. Down.

The several-thousand-tonne vessel used its horn to warn the surfer before alerting the Belfast Coastguard, who responded promptly to the scene.

Commenting on the incident, a spokesman for the Bangor Coastguard said: "Once on scene the team located the casualty and kept eyes on. The casualty managed to paddle his way back to shore in Holywood. Bangor Lifeboat was also tasked to the incident and was stood down on route. After speaking with the [individual concerned] it was confirmed he was intending to surf the wash from the superfast inbound to Belfast." ...

Expressing bafflement at the situation, a member of the Bangor branch of the Royal National Lifeguard Institution (RNLI) said they were 'lost for words' following the surfer's reckless actions. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.irishpost.com/news/dare...tempting-to-ride-wash-of-belfast-ferry-202535

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
"THE COASTGUARD in Northern Ireland has issued a stern warning to the public after a surfer was caught attempting to ride the wash of a Belfast ferry"

'The Public' don't need warning. They already know its not a good plan.

This reminds me of the pronouncements we used to get at school when - for example - someone managed to blow up the east end lavatory. There were 600+ boys in our school who didn't need to be told not to do that. And one who did.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Not me! It was a lad in my class though. He tried to make a smoke bomb and got the recipe wrong.
Could have been worse. Remember the baby gender reveal party where someone cluelessly built a DIY firework display and killed a guest?

Family members had been experimenting with explosives in the hopes of posting a colourful announcement on social media, authorities said.

They welded a metal cylinder to a stand and packed it with gunpowder that they thought would send the coloured baby powder aloft. But authorities say tape covering the top of the cylinder caused it to detonate like a pipe bomb.
(Guardian 29/10/19)

feinman

Asymmetric Contact From Hyperdimensional Aliens.
Reaction score
Could have been worse. Remember the baby gender reveal party where someone cluelessly built a DIY firework display and killed a guest?
(Guardian 29/10/19)
Terrible, sad and stupid. I used to make fireworks when I was a kid and messed with dangerous stuff -magnesium, aluminum powder, potassium perchlorate etc... I was in the middle of an accidental explosion once. I don't even like fireworks anymore!

Sgt Girth

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I don’t know about Feinman but I used to buy all kinds of weird and wonderful materials from Exchange & Mart when I was a youngster!

feinman

Reaction score
How did you get hold of the stuff?
Terrible to say, but when I was in late jr. high / early high school, I had friends whose parents were chemistry professors and they would actually purchase the stuff for us.. In bulk. Different days. :cool: Though it wasn't really a good idea --even back then. :bomb:

Last edited:

feinman

Reaction score
Last edited:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Four business travelers buy a 30 kg case of oranges to take home. After learning how much the extra baggage fee will be they avoid paying by rapidly eating the whole case. They saved money, but suffered mouth ulcers.
Four Men Get Mouth Ulcers after Eating 30 Kg Oranges at Airport to Avoid Paying Extra Baggage Fee

In a bizarre incident, four men paid a heavy price after they resorted to some drastic steps to reduce their extra baggage fee at an airport. In an incident that is now going viral, four men got mouth ulcers after they decided to eat 30 kg of oranges at the airport to avoid paying extra baggage fee.

The incident occurred at an airport in Kunming, Southwest China's Yunnan Province. The four travelers in question ate the oranges inside the airport itself in record 30 minutes.

A ... man surnamed Wang, and his three colleagues bought a box of oranges weighing 30 kilograms worth 50 yuan (Rs 564) during their business trip to Kunming. During their purchase, they did not realise that the airlines would ask them to shell out extra money as shipping charges for the oranges. As they prepared to board the plane back home, the airport said it was going to charge them 10 yuan for each kilogram in shipping fees for the oranges, totaling to 300 yuan (Rs 3384).
Not willing to pay the extra fee, which was much more than the price of their purchase, the four colleagues reached a census to eat the fruits there and then. ... "We just stood there and ate the whole thing up. It took about 20-30 minutes," Wang told Global Times.

While it may seem as a daring feat, the four men suffered from mouth ulcers after eating so many citrus fruits in one go. Post this ordeal, they were rightly left feeling like never eating oranges again. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/fo...o-avoid-paying-extra-baggage-fee-3356282.html

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar