• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
An interesting article from JPMA (Journal of Post-medieval Archaeology), although not from their site.

https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n30a19.html

If you have access you can get the whole thing here

https://www.academia.edu/14114026/Small_Change_Economics_and_the_coin_tree_in_Britain_and_Ireland

Abstract:

Throughout the c.2000 year period coins have been circulated in Britain, they have also been ritually employed, most notably as votive deposits. Focusing specifically on the understudied custom of the British coin-tree, whereby coins are ritually embedded into the barks of trees, this paper considers the coin’s role and applicability as a deposit. It aims to demonstrate that our understanding of the coin’s past, present, and future ritual employment is not only aided by a consideration of economics and the coin’s secular function; it would be utterly incomplete without it.
I fully support the use of the word ritual in this context! :rollingw:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Err, Sainsbury's - I don't think this is going to work in my recipe.

View attachment 37141
You would certainly 'taste the difference'.

My mother sometimes uses Sainsbury's online and some of the 'alternatives' they have sent her are incomprehensible.

Wanted thyme, got ginger or nutmeg etc.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
You would certainly 'taste the difference'.

My mother sometimes uses Sainsbury's online and some of the 'alternatives' they have sent her are incomprehensible.

Wanted thyme, got ginger or nutmeg etc.
Yes, I had to tick the 'No Alternatives' button on my two favourite beers because of the horrific stuff they sent me one week.
(That's Timothy Taylor's Landlord, Sainsbury's own Yorkshire Bitter and Whitstable Bay Pale Ale. My three favourite beers.)

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
do you have any date for it? sometimes I forget how far we've come :)
No I don't, although someone with knowledge of the history of the force may be able to approximate the era from names mentioned.

Edit: Putting the title 'Hefty Girls Wanted For Police Force' suggests circa 1934-45.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Pre 1946 - I've just found a reference to married women being able to join after that point. I guess that too many men had been killed in the war for the situation to remain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/47254533

salt-man

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Today is a day of WTF for anyone who spends time on the UK subs of Reddit.

A fundamentally ill-judged admin appointment...Soviet levels of censorship, fundamental misunderstanding of the Streisand Effect, a membership in revolt....popcorn out, ride being enjoyed......I'm kind of loath to give details, but a quick look at the UK subs will make it obvious.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I expect we probably haven't really come very far.
I've not seen a modern WPC ad but it's probably much the same but in modern language, and minus the references to marriage etc and looks.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
I take it kebab isn’t a euphemism?
No, this time it was literally, eating it straight from her mouth.

I thought it was taco which was an euphemism, but my English is limited.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
What is most WTF for me is that somebody is videoing that woman on the floor and not helping her. She may have hurt herself falling over.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today is a day of WTF for anyone who spends time on the UK subs of Reddit.

A fundamentally ill-judged admin appointment...Soviet levels of censorship, fundamental misunderstanding of the Streisand Effect, a membership in revolt....popcorn out, ride being enjoyed......I'm kind of loath to give details, but a quick look at the UK subs will make it obvious.
Reddit was trying to protect her from harassment and the amount of transphobia was bloody nasty and I reported a video in documterys for anti trans properganda and no ones stopped to think that she may have been abused By her dad her self but the baying mob had to have their pound of flesh and folks that is what mob rule looks like it highly disturbing.update she's been fired.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Reddit was trying to protect her from harassment and the amount of transphobia was bloody nasty and I reported a video in documterys for anti trans properganda and no ones stopped to think that she may have been abused By her dad her self but the baying mob had to have their pound of flesh and folks that is what mob rule looks like it highly disturbing.update she's been fired.
Reddit has a dreadful history of behind the scenes chicanery followed up by silent edits and oblique censorship. I'm not remotely surprised that they appointed someone unsuitable and then connived to punish those who pointed out their error.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Miss Dorothy Peto OBE. appointed staff officer for Women Police. (Began duty 11th April)

Superintendent Peto retired.

https://www.pfoa.co.uk/met-police-female-police-officers-history

Sir Philip Game served as Metropolitan Police Commissioner from 1935 until 1945.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Game#Metropolitan_Police_Commissioner

The pay (£2 13s 3d) was excellent, however, especially when you consider that free accommodation was included:

“Agricultural wage rates (for men)

In early 1930 this was £1 11s (shillings) 8d (pence) for a week of just over 50 hours, or roughly a shilling an hour. This rate declined slightly in the early 1930s, falling as low as £1 10s 8d in 1993-4, but had increased again by the end of the decade, standing at £1 19s 5 1/2 d by October 1939.

Industrial wage rates (for men)

Wages in the industrial sector followed the same general pattern as the agricultural sector. In 1930 the average wage for a timework labourer in the engineering field was just under a shilling per hour; it dipped in 1933-4, then climbed again to around 1s 2d by 1938.”

https://www.pocketpence.co.uk/much-waitresses-paid-per-hour-8086747.html

maximus otter

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
"They must be hefty enough to withstand a 'rough and tumble,' and they must be fairly good looking."

That's pretty much my standards.
“Work hard, or look good in a tight sweater.”

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Mods .. please delete this post if you feel it could cause problems ..

I few years ago, I agreed to a political party placing a placard in my front garden. Obviously I'm not going to disclose which one .. Yesterday I received a letter from them thanking me, asking me if I would do that again for someone I know nothing about and telling me that if they don't hear from, they'll assume I'm giving consent and someone will come round to my house and just do it anyway :mad: .. WTF? .. that's not happening.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Mods .. please delete this post if you feel it could cause problems ..

I few years ago, I agreed to a political party placing a placard in my front garden. Obviously I'm not going to disclose which one .. Yesterday I received a letter from them thanking me, asking me if I would do that again for someone I know nothing about and telling me that if they don't hear from, they'll assume I'm giving consent and someone will come round to my house and just do it anyway :mad: .. WTF? .. that's not happening.

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
You better reply quick, mate!

In English law, silence on a matter implies consent. Or have I made that up?
It's the arrogant presumption that's annoyed me most. 'Informing' me that a sign promoting some jumped up little **** will put a sign that will be put in my front garden unless I contact his office to ask them not to? .. I've left a polite but stern message on their answerphone informing them to not do that.

alawn02.gif

Gran Torino - Get Off My Lawn _HD - YouTube

Last edited:

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I did not know there is a bad shortage of metal shipping containers.

This fact plus Brazil supplies the world with 40% of wood pulp, and they are having problems with covid is going to lead to

shortages of consumer products like toilet paper.

This must be true because one of my daughters needs a new refrigerator, and they are all on back order from

places like Home Depot or Lowe’s.

Check your toilet paper or paper towels stock !

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I did not know there is a bad shortage of metal shipping containers.

This fact plus Brazil supplies the world with 40% of wood pulp, and they are having problems with covid is going to lead to

shortages of consumer products like toilet paper.

This must be true because one of my daughters needs a new refrigerator, and they are all on back order from

places like Home Depot or Lowe’s.

Check your toilet paper or paper towels stock !
All the containers are on that 400 metre 200,000 tonne container ship wedged in the Suez canal :p