• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes I'm hoping that since this guy was idiot enough to post that he keeps a monkey in a small cage someone will drop a dime on him and have it removed. I don't suppose there's any way to find out who the poster is.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
"as if they're holding a sacred piece of toast"
Well, we all have to make a crust, somehow....?

All hail the piece of bread that passeth understanding. A communion wafer that will allow you to text The Almighty....

(We can safely-assume that God has a contract phone, and unlimited upgrades, or his omnipotence would be dimished).

Perhaps the Vatican Third Council will make a pronouncement upon whether IPhones are in reality over-priced and twee. And maybe consider the canonisation of the Nokia 9300 (I would assume that having non-human / semi-AI saints is an inevitable progression for those parts of the world that support such things).

Anyway, I can't help wondering if USB-C is really the work of the Devil himself. I mean, it all looks fine....and it'll go in either way round. But is it natural?

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well, we all have to make a crust, somehow....?

All hail the piece of bread that passeth understanding. A communion wafer that will allow you to text The Almighty....

(We can safely-assume that God has a contract phone, and unlimited upgrades, or his omnipotence would be dimished).

Perhaps the Vatican Third Council will make a pronouncement upon whether IPhones are in reality over-priced and twee. And maybe consider the canonisation of the Nokia 9300 (I would assume that having non-human / semi-AI saints is an inevitable progression for those parts of the world that support such things).

Anyway, I can't help wondering if USB-C is really the work of the Devil himself. I mean, it all looks fine....and it'll go in either way round. But is it natural?
Since I was trained in the day of the little inconsistent asymmetric pins in holes connections, I have always felt that there must be something wrong with USB plugs.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I've never understood the 'thing' they do of wandering along, speaking on their smartphone while holding it like a teeny-tiny tea tray in front of their face.
Is putting the speaker to the ear and the mic to the mouth such a hard concept to grasp?
@Ermintruder once described it "as if they're holding a sacred piece of toast" which I think is brilliant!
To me it looks like they're about to eat a hot pop-tart. It just makes them look stupid. And if you're really worried about radiation from the phone, should you have a cell phone at all?

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
It just makes them look stupid. And if you're really worried about radiation from the phone, should you have a cell phone at all?
My thoughts precisely.
"You look silly! Why do that?"
" 'cause radiation, innit?"
"Who told you that? Why have a 'phone at all?"
"Okay, so it's just an excuse because I'm doing what I see others doing."
"Silly."

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
To me it looks like they're about to eat a hot pop-tart. It just makes them look stupid. And if you're really worried about radiation from the phone, should you have a cell phone at all?
I always assumed it was so that passers-by could hear the Very Important Nature of their call and treat them with the deference they clearly feel is their due. Or laugh at them for breaking their ankle stepping off a high kerb because they were paying so much attention to Dave's tale of his night out...

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Yeah I know - I thought a pic of a communicator being used was too obvious and wouldn't generate a comment about them using tricorders.

And to be fair.....modern phones are more akin to tricorders than communicators.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I always assumed it was so that passers-by could hear the Very Important Nature of their call and treat them with the deference they clearly feel is their due. Or laugh at them for breaking their ankle stepping off a high kerb because they were paying so much attention to Dave's tale of his night out...
Which brings us to the next level of self centeredness: putting the call on speaker when doing that.

And to be fair.....modern phones are more akin to tricorders than communicators.
But despite the similarity to a flip phone, the communicator was more like a speakerphone. BTW, you can buy a Bluetooth communicator, allowing you to use a phone sized object as a surrogate for your phone.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
I just read this headline on the bbc red button
View attachment 37427
At first i thought 'wow thats progressive' then as i read the full story i was shocked by it, female recruits up until now were forced to wear standard issue squaddies scuddies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56581129
I hope this means that male recruits can now wear frillies.

I've seen British newspaper clippings from WW1 telling of a captured German pilot wearing ladies underwear under his uniform as well as a 'rouged face and lipstick'.
It's probably anti-German propaganda but you never know...

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I've seen British newspaper clippings from WW1 telling of a captured German pilot wearing ladies underwear under his uniform as well as a 'rouged face and lipstick'.
Im going for propaganda myself, im sure there were similar tales on all sides at the time :p

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Anyway WTF ery....

I come out for a quiet walk and every time there's some numpty indulging in loud phone conversations. If you're very lucky they're not holding the phone up in front of their face.

Can these people not shut up for 2 minutes together..? It's not like they have anything worthwhile to say
An empty vessel makes the most noise salt-man.

I had two couples, neither connected to the others step out in front of the Mrs's car a couple of days ago .. both young couples were doing some live social media stuff, stuff best left for when YOU'RE NOT CROSSING A F**KING ROAD!.. I lost it a bit at the second couple and shouted at them "IS IT NATIONAL MORON DAY ALREADY?!" .. the second couple absolutely had seen us and had apparently decided their stuff was more important and that, like, getting run over by a car wasn't their fault .. 'she' turned back and defiantly laugh shrugged us off. I'm glad we didn't kill them, the police have got enough on their hands at the moment.

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly the german pilot was.....er.....female?
Nope - not in WW1. There were Russian female pilots (combat and non-combat) and allegedly also French female pilots (exact roles disputed), but no German ones (at least none documented).

It wouldn't be until WW2 that serious consideration was given to combat duty for German female pilots (see, e.g., Hanna Reitsch).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The "World's Worst Director" Ed Wood claimed to be wearing women's underwear under his uniform while in the US Army of World War II. He used to joke he was terrified of being wounded at The Battle of Tarawa and a medic finding out his secret as he treated him.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
The "World's Worst Director" Ed Wood claimed to be wearing women's underwear under his uniform while in the US Army of World War II. He used to joke he was terrified of being wounded at The Battle of Tarawa and a medic finding out his secret as he treated him.
Ed was an infamous transvestite with a penchant for wearing Angora wool sweaters. As you do.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Hermann Göring was a WW1 fighter pilot.

There are rumours on the Interclown that he was a transvestite; he certainly liked designing
spiffy ornate uniforms for himself.

l have also read a contemporary account by a WW2 Luftwaffe fighter pilot who, on being presented with a medal by Göring, was startled to see that the Reichsmarschall was wearing a full face of slap.

maximus otter

Last edited: