Things That Make You Go... WTF?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The "World's Worst Director" Ed Wood claimed to be wearing women's underwear under his uniform while in the US Army of World War II. He used to joke he was terrified of being wounded at The Battle of Tarawa and a medic finding out his secret as he treated him.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
The "World's Worst Director" Ed Wood claimed to be wearing women's underwear under his uniform while in the US Army of World War II. He used to joke he was terrified of being wounded at The Battle of Tarawa and a medic finding out his secret as he treated him.
Ed was an infamous transvestite with a penchant for wearing Angora wool sweaters. As you do.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I hope this means that male recruits can now wear frillies.

I've seen British newspaper clippings from WW1 telling of a captured German pilot wearing ladies underwear under his uniform as well as a 'rouged face and lipstick'.
It's probably anti-German propaganda but you never know...
Hermann Göring was a WW1 fighter pilot.

There are rumours on the Interclown that he was a transvestite; he certainly liked designing
spiffy ornate uniforms for himself.

l have also read a contemporary account by a WW2 Luftwaffe fighter pilot who, on being presented with a medal by Göring, was startled to see that the Reichsmarschall was wearing a full face of slap.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Hermann Göring was a WW1 fighter pilot.

There are rumours on the Interclown that he was a transvestite; he certainly liked designing
spiffy ornate uniforms for himself.

l have also read a contemporary account by a WW2 Luftwaffe fighter pilot who, on being presented with a medal by Göring, was startled to see that the Reichsmarschall was wearing a full face of slap.

maximus otter
There are certainly reports that Goering like his bling, when he was arrested he was dressed in his best finery adorned with gold and jewels.

"In flamboyant uniforms of his own design and fingers bedizened with rings, the fat man ate, drank, and made riotously merry, living out loud."

https://www.historynet.com/larger-than-life-the-infamous-hermann-goring.htm

"Goering was known for his extravagant tastes and garish clothing. He had various special uniforms made for the many posts he held; his Reichsmarschall uniform included a jewel-encrusted baton. Hans Ulric Rudel,
the top Stuka pilot of the war, recalled twice meeting Goering dressed in outlandish costumes: first, a medieval hunting costume, practicing archery with his doctor; and second, dressed in a red toga fastened with a golden clasp, smoking an unusually large pipe. Italian Foreign Minister Galeazzo Ciano once noted Goering wearing a fur coat that looked like what “a high grade prostitute wears to the opera”. He threw lavish housewarming parties each time a round of construction was completed at Carinhall, and changed costumes several times throughout the evenings."

https://ww2gravestone.com/hermann-goering-extravagant-person/

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Which brings us to the next level of self centeredness: putting the call on speaker when doing that.

But despite the similarity to a flip phone, the communicator was more like a speakerphone. BTW, you can buy a Bluetooth communicator, allowing you to use a phone sized object as a surrogate for your phone.
A few years ago I was on a train to London - in the quiet carriage I always choose. Just opposite me a bloke, part of a couple, took a long and loud phone call [edited from phonemail, bloody spellchecker]. I politely pointed to the 'quiet carriage' signs as they're not that prominent and he may not have known.

His reply was long the lines of: 'I have an important phone call to take.' His partner looked embarrassed and to this day I regret not taking the phone from him and throwing it out the window. I know this is a criminal act, but I still feel it may have been worth it. The carriage, after all, has a vestibule (great word) but he couldn't possibly walk 10 metres because he was a prize twat!

Last edited:

salt-man

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
A few years ago I was on a train to London - in the quiet carriage I always choose. Just opposite me a bloke, part of a couple, took a long and loud phonemail. I politely pointed to the 'quiet carriage' signs as they're not that prominent and he may not have known.

His reply was long the lines of: 'I have an important phone call to take.' His partner looked embarrassed and to this day I regret not taking the phone from him and throwing it out the window. I know this is a criminal act, but I still feel it may have been worth it. The carriage, after all, has a vestibule (great word) but he couldn't possibly walk 10 metres because he was a prize twat!
Take the phone off them, and tell the person on the other end "He's in the quiet carriage - he'll call you back when he's learned some F*CKING MANNERS".

Even better if he's talking to a customer...

Howe do these people manage to keep a phone connection for so long anyway?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A few years ago I was on a train to London - in the quiet carriage I always choose. Just opposite me a bloke, part of a couple, took a long and loud phonemail. I politely pointed to the 'quiet carriage' signs as they're not that prominent and he may not have known.

In that position you can stand beside the offender in the aisle for awhile, just staring into space. When they eventually ask what you're up to, you can you can say 'I'm just waiting to to see if I need the toilet yet.'

I've seen this done.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In that position you can stand beside the offender in the aisle for awhile, just staring into space. When they eventually ask what you're up to, you can you can say 'I'm just waiting to to see if I need the toilet yet.'

I've seen this done.
Another good one is to just stand right next to them (uncomfortably so) and glare at them :D

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Another good one is to just stand right next to them (uncomfortably so) and glare at them :D
Standing beside them to 'wait for the loo' is better as it's a. non-confrontational/hysterically passive-aggressive and b. convenient for their delectation of the imminent fart you've just announced.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Standing beside them to 'wait for the loo' is better as it's a. non-confrontational/hysterically passive-aggressive and b. convenient for their delectation of the imminent fart you've just announced.
I like to let them know they are being an a*sehole in a non-verbal passive agressive manner, they tend to move somewhere else out of my earshot quite quickly :p

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I watched the Red Arrows fly over today, at about 400ft, in a lovely 'arrowhead' formation.

I am in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, nowhere near an RAF base, or airshow, or seaside, or anything for that matter, and it was 11am this morning.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I watched the Red Arrows fly over today, at about 400ft, in a lovely 'arrowhead' formation.

I am in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, nowhere near an RAF base, or airshow, or seaside, or anything for that matter, and it was 11am this morning.
Here's today's Itinerary from the iNews website.

If you live in the East Midlands, South East or East of England you might have a shot at seeing the famous red jets this morning.

Red Arrows route today
1. RAF Scampton (531828N 0003303W) – 10.37am
2. South-east of Fiskerton (531352N 0002428W) – 10.39am
4. South of Rickinghall (521915N 0005948E) – 10.54am
5. North-west of Haverhill (520621N 0002209E) – 10.59am
6. West of Hertford (514829N 0000754W) – 11.03am
7. Watford (514107N 0002530W) – 11.05am
8. North-west of Uxbridge (513340N 0002945W) – 11.06am
9. Runnymede Air Force Memorial 512616N 0003354W) – 11.08am
10. South-east of Wentworth (512330N 0003522W) – 11.09am
11. Wokingham (512434N 0004922W) – 11.11am
12. West of Skirmett (513606N 0005308W) – 11.13am
13. Northampton (521450N 0005458W) – 11.19am
14. North-west of Collingham (531001N 0004619W) – 11.28am
15. RAF Scampton (531828N 0003303W) – 11.30am

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I thought they had grounded all the hawks whilst they investigate the crash last week?
I've 'seen' them since on Flightradar over Snowdonia.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Anybody being filmed or appearing on TV had a full face of slap on. It's possible that he'd just been filmed.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Unbelievable bike skills that look impossible. Looking at the bikes frame it’s obviously been designed for these sort of stunts.
There's no seat on that bike.

CALGACUS03

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
While (if) we're on the subject of nun jokes; here's an old one..

Two nuns are driving down a dark country lane in their Austin Mini one night. Suddenly, a vampire swoops down onto the bonnet of the car and starts scratching at the windscreen trying to get at them.
"Quick, Sister Mary" says Sister Margaret, who's driving, "show him your cross!".
So Sister Mary winds down the window, leans out, and shouts "Fuck off you bastard!".
:)

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Tomorrow, Saturday, the date is 4/3/21.

That is 4321.

Is this a bad omen, or is this a good omen ?

Is this a count down to something. ?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
That is 4321.
It's only a conundrum in those places that use a MM/DD/YY format for dates. Many, if not most, places don't use that format for date abbreviations.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

That is 4321.

This reminds me of when comedian Dave Gorman, whilst in the US, got tired of constantly getting asked for ID in bars, got a tattoo of his Taxas driving licence on his arm, the issue now os his birth date is wrong everywhere but the US

"After a very drunken night in Austin, Texas, I woke up the next day with a tattoo. It's a picture of a Texan driving licence with what's meant to be my face and my details. Tattooed onto my left arm. I was so frustrated with being asked for ID when I went into any bar in Austin that, having got into a bar, I got incredibly drunk. Then got the tattoo."

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/my-life-in-travel-dave-gorman-71244.html

today-with-des-and-mel-tv-programme-britain-shutterstock-editorial-442362h.jpg

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ed was an infamous transvestite with a penchant for wearing Angora wool sweaters. As you do.
We all do, when we're posting on this site...