• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

FunkyTT

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I feel so squeamish now .....
(The ripped pecs guy , Ryan Crowley 2 posts above).

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
So ... no one thought it might be a good idea to clamp the hatch shut, like just in case?

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I thought he was actually trying to open it?
Yes....I think though that the idea of that comment was "put a clamp on it while he uses the acetylene torch to cut the bolt off, then find some way to remove the clamp remotely so that nobody get's covered in crap"

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This past Saturday (3 April) two California women (a mother and daughter) drove through the parking lot of a popular northern California seaside lookout point and continued off the cliff in view of multiple witnesses. The vehicle neither accelerated nor braked as it approached the cliff. Both occupants were killed. Authorities are laboring to figure out whether this was an accident or a deliberate act.
Car that plunged off California cliff drove through big lot

Dozens of people at a popular Northern California coastal overlook watched as an SUV drove through a parking lot without braking and then plunged off a cliff into the rocks below, killing two women ...

The cause of the weekend crash was still under investigation ... Initial witness accounts indicated that the vehicle drove through a wooden barrier in a large parking area at the Bodega Bay’s Head Trail before it went off the cliff.

“Witnesses saw the vehicle driving through the parking lot — and it just kept driving,” de Rutte said. “It didn’t stop. There was no accelerating but also no braking.” ...

Both women were found dead when rescuers made it down to the Toyota SUV, which had landed on its roof on the rocks about 100 feet (30 meters) below. ...

Investigators were still trying to determine if the crash was accidental or intentional ...
FULL STORY (With Photos): https://apnews.com/article/car-plunged-california-cliff-36f0668bc24c55c84744cabf98fdb41f

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
@EnolaGaia

The constant speed of the car makes me think it was a tragic accident by a driver not familiar with the area.

If this is the part of the car park it happened, then the low and not especially visible guard rail does not cover the whole car park.
Perhaps the driver thought that sandy ledge to the left was an exit slip from the car park?

bb.jpg

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know ... I expect we'll have to wait to see what the authorities make of the witness reports. There were apparently dozens of witnesses to the incident.

At this point I tend to doubt it being a simple mistake in situation awareness once in the parking lot area. The news story states the SUV drove through a wooden barrier. Still, it's not clear whether this "wooden barrier" was the guard rail at the cliff top versus some fence (etc.) surrounding the parking area.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
. The news story states the SUV drove through a wooden barrier. Still, it's not clear whether this "wooden barrier" was the guard rail at the cliff top versus some fence (etc.) surrounding the parking area.
OK I stand corrected.

There have been past reports of brake failures on cars which were not able to slow down.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don't know ... I expect we'll have to wait to see what the authorities make of the witness reports. There were apparently dozens of witnesses to the incident.

At this point I tend to doubt it being a simple mistake in situation awareness once in the parking lot area. The news story states the SUV drove through a wooden barrier. Still, it's not clear whether this "wooden barrier" was the guard rail at the cliff top versus some fence (etc.) surrounding the parking area.
There is as I remember a wooden fence around the parking area of this very beautiful spot. And it's a steep drop-off. The end of the lot would just have a guard rail. (PS this is where Carpenter filmed The Fog, I believe the lighthouse is in the area.) It's also very typical of the long coast of California north of SF, very unlikely to have been a mistake.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
two California women (a mother and daughter)
It would not be a surprise if this 'mother and daughter' were 85 and 60, and the 85yo was driving.
We get fairly regular reports of people who somehow drive somewhere that nobody would normally (Through a wall, or into a shopping centre, or off the edge of a multi-storey car park etc etc) and quite often it turns out to be a senior citizen who, through their old age, either lacks the abilities to comprehend their surroundings properly, or has lost control of their car and pressed the accelerator thinking it was brake etc.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This Pennsylvania woman seems to have gone full-tilt paranoid when high ...
Police: Woman wears hard hat, holds crockpot lid as shield in Clearfield Dollar General

Two people face charges in Clearfield County after state police were called to a Dollar General in Chester Hill Borough for a report of a woman wearing a hard hat, holding a crockpot lid as a shield and carrying a bathroom scale.

Tiffany Kerfoot, 25, of Philipsburg, was under the influence of drugs and said people were chasing her and trying to hurt her, according to state police in Clearfield.

She also told state police she just saw a murder at 214 Rowland Street where she lives with her boyfriend, 26-year-old Nicholas Rowles. When troopers went to investigate, Rowles told them there was no murder and that Kerfoot has a drug problem. ...
SOURCE: https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news...t-lid-as-shield-in-clearfield-dollar-general/

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It would not be a surprise if this 'mother and daughter' were 85 and 60, and the 85yo was driving.
We get fairly regular reports of people who somehow drive somewhere that nobody would normally (Through a wall, or into a shopping centre, or off the edge of a multi-storey car park etc etc) and quite often it turns out to be a senior citizen who, through their old age, either lacks the abilities to comprehend their surroundings properly, or has lost control of their car and pressed the accelerator thinking it was brake etc.
64 and 41, so neither were old. The mother was driving.
I'm guessing the brakes failed.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Throne out.

Police in Sri Lanka have arrested the reigning Mrs World Caroline Jurie, after she allegedly injured a fellow beauty queen in an on-stage bust-up.

Pushpika De Silva won the "Mrs Sri Lanka" title in a televised ceremony on Sunday, and former winner Mrs Jurie was meant to crown her. Instead, she pulled the crown off Mrs De Silva's head, claiming she could not hold the title as she was divorced. The winner later said she is separated from her husband, not divorced.

Mrs Sri Lanka is part of the Mrs World beauty pageant series for married women. The winners of each country's title progress to the overall Mrs World competition.

"There is a rule that prevents women who have already been married and are divorced, so I am taking steps to make the crown go to second place," Mrs Jurie told the audience.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56675193

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
Throne out.

Police in Sri Lanka have arrested the reigning Mrs World Caroline Jurie, after she allegedly injured a fellow beauty queen in an on-stage bust-up.

Pushpika De Silva won the "Mrs Sri Lanka" title in a televised ceremony on Sunday, and former winner Mrs Jurie was meant to crown her. Instead, she pulled the crown off Mrs De Silva's head, claiming she could not hold the title as she was divorced. The winner later said she is separated from her husband, not divorced.

Mrs Sri Lanka is part of the Mrs World beauty pageant series for married women. The winners of each country's title progress to the overall Mrs World competition.

"There is a rule that prevents women who have already been married and are divorced, so I am taking steps to make the crown go to second place," Mrs Jurie told the audience.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56675193
"Mrs World"? I'd never heard of that before. They should do Miss/Ms/Mrs and of course Missus Worlds.