Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The kid was the one guiding the blind woman. Silly kid walked her over to the edge and fell off!
Next time, he might be more careful (I hope).

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Throne out.

Police in Sri Lanka have arrested the reigning Mrs World Caroline Jurie, after she allegedly injured a fellow beauty queen in an on-stage bust-up.

Pushpika De Silva won the "Mrs Sri Lanka" title in a televised ceremony on Sunday, and former winner Mrs Jurie was meant to crown her. Instead, she pulled the crown off Mrs De Silva's head, claiming she could not hold the title as she was divorced. The winner later said she is separated from her husband, not divorced.

Mrs Sri Lanka is part of the Mrs World beauty pageant series for married women. The winners of each country's title progress to the overall Mrs World competition.

"There is a rule that prevents women who have already been married and are divorced, so I am taking steps to make the crown go to second place," Mrs Jurie told the audience.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56675193

Hooray! The Irish have won it now and we didn't even start the fight!

An Irish woman has been named the new Mrs World after the reigning title-holder resigned following an on-stage fracas in which she pulled the crown off the head of the winner of the Mrs Sri Lanka beauty pageant.

Organisers said they had received the resignation of Caroline Jurie, and the first runner-up, Kate Schneider, will be the new Mrs World 2020. The website of Mrs World, a beauty pageant for married women, published a photo of Ms Schneider with the title.

Mrs Jurie relinquished her title earlier this month, while defending her decision to remove the crown from the head of this year’s Mrs Sri Lanka title-holder, Pushpika De Silva, who she claimed was unqualified to take part in the April 4 contest because she was divorced.

Mrs World organisers said in a statement that Mrs Jurie’s “voluntary resignation decision was made solely by Caroline herself”.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40271486.html

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Do you want to improve your metal health, make new friends, and connect with nature ?

Go bird watching !

NBC News TV claims that during covid, bird watching has become popular.

Bird watching would be the last thing I would think of.

I would assume one would have to have lots of time ?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
An Irish woman has been named the new Mrs World after the reigning title-holder resigned following an on-stage fracas in which she pulled the crown off the head of the winner of the Mrs Sri Lanka beauty pageant.

hurrah for Ireland!

why didn't the original winner, who had the crown pulled off, take the title?

I see that you are now my go-to source on these things :twothumbs:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
hurrah for Ireland!

why didn't the original winner, who had the crown pulled off, take the title?

I see that you are now my go-to source on these things :twothumbs:

The woman who had the crown puled off her retained the incoming Mrs Sri Lanka title.

The outgoing Mrs Sri Lanka retained the title Mrs World until this years Mrs World event. She has now relinquished that title.

Erinaceus

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Do you want to improve your metal health, make new friends, and connect with nature ?

Go bird watching !

NBC News TV claims that during covid, bird watching has become popular.

Bird watching would be the last thing I would think of.

I would assume one would have to have lots of time ?
Birdwatching is not good for my mental health. I get paranoid when this gull keeps tapping on the kitchen window and watching me. A lot of people on the local Facebook page are also being visited by them.
It's like Jehovah's Witnesses or the Men in Black.

herring gull C63A8247.jpg.

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
We once had a crazy Woodpecker who would dive bomb our house and peck on our windows.

The noise was unbelievable.

Fortunately he went away before breaking a window.

Some crazy bird !
A friend of mine lives out in the sticks in Wales. She used to have a nuthatch neighbour which would tap on the kitchen window to request food. I witnessed this behaviour myself.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
When I was a teenager, I'd be woken up in the morning by a bird rooting away in the gutter just outside the window.
I'd pull the curtains open and lie in bed, just chilling.
On one or two occasions, I'd look up and see the bird leaning over the edge of the gutter to look at me.
He'd tilt his head at me quizzically, almost like he was intelligent...

The birds are not what they seem.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've got an oystercatcher that comes to my place for food. He makes on hell of a noise to let me know it's feeding time and has been known to tap on the window.
Wow, how much do you spend on oysters a week? :p

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ive just read that Amazon are opening a hair salon in London :oops:

Amazon is launching its first high-tech hair salon, as the online retailer makes a surprise move into the beauty sector.

The salon, in Spitalfields, east London, will have an augmented-reality mirror showing clients different colours and styles before treatments.

The venue will also have magazines loaded on to tablets, for browsing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56835803

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Great.
Amazon hits the High Street by dominating the online retail sector. Then it decides to dominate the High Street retail sector itself ... by going into the High Street retail.
Although the whole "augmented-reality mirror" (i.e. a computer-generated image) thing sounds really hip and high-tech, and great for press impact, it's really questionable.
Amazon can control the hair-colourant and lighting of the photos. Sadly (for them and prospective clients) reality of hair means there is variation in biology. In short: You can use the same hair-dye on customers with (apparently) the same hair ... but you WILL get different results. Of course, Amazon will persuade clients that what they have is the real thing but anyone else who claims otherwise are lying.
:hahazebs::hahazebs::hahazebs::hahazebs::hahazebs::hahazebs::hahazebs:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Great.
Amazon hits the High Street by dominating the online retail sector. Then it decides to dominate the High Street retail sector itself ... by going into the High Street retail.
Although the whole "augmented-reality mirror" (i.e. a computer-generated image) thing sounds really hip and high-tech, and great for press impact, it's really questionable.
Amazon can control the hair-colourant and lighting of the photos. Sadly (for them and prospective clients) reality of hair means there is variation in biology. In short: You can use the same hair-dye on customers with (apparently) the same hair ... but you WILL get different results. Of course, Amazon will persuade clients that what they have is the real thing but anyone else who claims otherwise are lying.
:hahazebs::hahazebs::hahazebs::hahazebs::hahazebs::hahazebs::hahazebs:
Eventually, there will just be Amazon.
They've even started moving in on the banking sector too.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Eventually, there will just be Amazon.
They've even started moving in on the banking sector too.
Amazon are also partners with Morrison for pandemic home delivery.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Me and Mrs T63 went to our local garden centre yesterday to buy half a dozen grow bags. The last 2 years there has been so much tomato blight at the allotment that we decided to grow them in pots at home.
Anyways, after the nice man had loaded them in the car he came to the window urging us to buy some tomato plants. I looked a little puzzled whereupon he told us that someone had bought some grow bags last year, cut the top out of the bags and regularly watered them, then complained when no tomatoes grew. The bloke thought the bags were pre-seeded and by adding the water the tomatoes would grow.

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
The bloke thought the bags were pre-seeded and by adding the water the tomatoes would grow.

Having just bought a few bags of compost, I was struck by the disparity between the technicolor glories of the pack and its gnarly, brown contents. It made me think of frozen food, for some reason.

Maybe those tomato pictures should have been captioned Serving Suggestion with a paragraph of small print after it! :points: