Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in India...

This reminds me of when i was visiting the Colca Canyon in Peru, our coach driver executed a 3 point turn on a narrow mountain road similar to the one below, at one point, as i was sat at the back, i was looking out of the window and the 1000 ft drop directly beneath me, as the rear axle sat about 10ft back from the rear of the coach.

Colca-Canyon-winding-paths.jpg

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I just read an article about the messaging app 'Signal' and i cant believe the boss of the companies name is Moxie Marlinspike, someone tell me this is made up!

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Sounds like a gangster goon from 1930's Chicago.
I might use that in a game of Call of Cthulhu. :)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
'Moxie' is the name of the equipment on Mars that is getting Oxygen from CO2.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in India...

This reminds me of when i was visiting the Colca Canyon in Peru, our coach driver executed a 3 point turn on a narrow mountain road similar to the one below, at one point, as i was sat at the back, i was looking out of the window and the 1000 ft drop directly beneath me, as the rear axle sat about 10ft back from the rear of the coach.

View attachment 38414
When my friend and I visited Ireland, we decided on our first day to drive around the the Dingle Peninsula rather than the recommended - and larger - Ring of Kerry due to the weather. Part of the trip was much like the roads in these pictures. At one point we approached a huge rent in the side of the mountain, as if Godzilla had scraped his claw against it. As we drove closer we saw that water was trickling down this opening, across the VERY narrow road - making it look weak and fragmented where the water flowed through cracks - and down on the other side. We crept over the cracked road and continued on our way, assuming this was fairly recent damage that needed to be addressed. A week later, discussing the incident with our b&b hostess in Cork, she said it was always like that, and she once had to back up at that point because a bus was coming the other way.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a gender reveal blast that didn't kill anyone (for once ... ), but rattled multiple towns and caused property damage at a distance.
Explosion at gender reveal party rocks several towns

One New Hampshire family’s gender reveal party was such a blast that it rattled towns, set off reports of an earthquake, and could be heard from across the state line ...

Police in Kingston, a town not far from the Massachusetts border, received reports of a loud explosion Tuesday evening. They responded to Torromeo quarry where they found people who acknowledged holding a gender reveal party with explosives.

The source was Tannerite — 80 pounds (36 kilograms) of it, police said. The family thought the quarry would be the safest spot to blow up the explosive, which is typically sold over the counter as a target for firearms practice ...

Nearby residents said the blast rocked their homes. Some reported property damage ...

“We heard this god-awful blast,” Sara Taglieri, who lives in a home that abuts the quarry, told the television station. “It knocked pictures off our walls ... I’m all up for silliness and what not, but that was extreme.”

Taglieri’s husband, Matt, told the TV station that neighbors reported cracks in the foundation of their homes.

No injuries were reported, police said. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/nh-state-wire-eb279a8493dd54b8857e20434f9a0c9a

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Here's a gender reveal blast that didn't kill anyone (for once ... ), but rattled multiple towns and caused property damage at a distance.

It's starting to look like a competition with these idiotic gender-reveal parties.
At first it was "Who can throw more money into shameless self-promotion to those who don't care".
Now it's "Who can make the biggest explosion and harm the most people in order to get into the news and You Tube memes."
Of course, the child at the center of the news item will grow up either a) with a sense of entitlement - "I was the baby who caused three people to burn to death!" - or b) a sense of guilt - "My parents were utterly without shame ... and I carry the guilt!"

Last edited by a moderator:

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
UPDATE: Kingston police say approx. 80 pounds of Tannerite were used at that gender reveal party that caused a massive explosion that shook homes for miles. Man who detonated it has turned himself in to police and is cooperating. Police haven’t decided on charges. @UnionLeader

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
UPDATE: Kingston police say approx. 80 pounds of Tannerite were used at that gender reveal party that caused a massive explosion that shook homes for miles. Man who detonated it has turned himself in to police and is cooperating. Police haven’t decided on charges. @UnionLeader
That is a serious amount of explosive. Highly irresponsible.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
That is a serious amount of explosive. Highly irresponsible.
I had to look this up. So you have a party to celebrate the sex of your unborn child (although presumably it will still have one even if you don’t have a party) and you try and kill as many people as possible???? Or have I misunderstood?

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
And I wonder when the first murder of a scan operator will occur? When they genuinely CANNOT ascertain the gender of the unborn baby and tell the prospective parents - who have already issued the invitations and built the bomb - that they will have to wait until a later scan?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Sailor forced to live on ghost ship in ocean for 4 years and swim ashore for supplies finally freed

Mohammed Aisha was trapped in a legal bind after the ship was held by authorities in Egypt with him on board in 2017.

He was obliged to stay on the MV Aman as its chief officer when it was detained near the Suez Canal because its safety certificates had expired.

At one point a storm blew the Aman off its anchorage and it drifted five miles eventually running aground near the shoreline.

Desperate for supplies, Mohammed said he was then able to swim ashore every few days, buy food and recharge his phone.

The nightmare began in 2017 when the Aman was stopped at the Egyptian port of Adabiya due to its expired certificates and safety equipment.

But the ship's Lebanese contractors failed to pay for fuel and its owners in Bahrain were in financial difficulty so it was held indefinitely.

With the captain already ashore and the other crewmates quickly leaving, a local court declared Mohammed, the ship's chief officer, its legal guardian.

He says he was never told what the order meant and only discovered months later that he would be forced to stay on board while it moored near the southern entrance of the Suez Canal.

Mohammed is set to finally reunite with his family after flying to his home in Syria on Friday. He is determined to return to the job he loves and harbours a dream of one day becoming a captain.

“I am a chief mate and I was one step away from being a captain,” he said.

Mohammad Aisha

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The tech world is going W T F .

I do not know if you are familiar with NBC’s comedy show Saturday Night Live, but on May 8th Elon Musk will be the comedy guest for that night”s show with the help of Miley Cyrus.

Elon has a label of “ very eccentric “, but can he pull off comedy ?

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
The tech world is going W T F .

I do not know if you are familiar with NBC’s comedy show Saturday Night Live, but on May 8th Elon Musk will be the comedy guest for that night”s show with the help of Miley Cyrus.

Elon has a label of “ very eccentric “, but can he pull off comedy ?
Some would say ‘every time he opens his mouth’.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I have seen a lot of tweets that Elon has put out in response to various things happening within his various businesses, particularly the Starship launches.
He definitely has a funny-bone, has quite a dry, sarcastic wit, and likes a pun.
He is also particularly fond of naming things with quite obvious yet 'oblique' matter-of-fact acronyms.
As an example, where most other spaceflight companies would refer to a ship exploding, his name for it is an R.U.D., otherwise known as a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.
Plus he was filmed smoking pot on TV.

But can he pull off comedy?

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have only watched excerpt of S.N.L. on the youtube but I'm very wondering if Musk is going to be on not for his comedic talents but to be the butt of relentless jokes about him and his antics.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
This is getting serious ! WTF !

There is a shortage of microprocessors in the world, and it is affecting everything.

In the U.S. there is a shortage of appliances and cars.

Cars require 50 microprocessors.

One of my daughter’s car has masking tape to hold the fender on, and when she looks at used cars, they have really jacked up the prices.

The outlook is things will get worse.

Ford, following other car manufacturers, will stop the Mustang production for a few weeks, because there is no chips.